Builds 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My name is Will, and I started building my LandCruiser in 2013 when I was 16.
I got it for $2,300 from a guy in LA when I turned 16. Ever since, Iv really taken the plunge.

Bellow is a "table of contents" that I will update as I go. By clicking the highlighted portion beside/bellow each sentence, you can easily navigate an otherwise lengthy thread. Bellow that Is a list of "Mods to date"

Rear Bumper Build/Hi-lift rebuild 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Old Man Emu Lift w/ new Front knuckle rebuild 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Rear wiper electric work 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Transmission swap, New H55 and new oil pan and T-Case rebuild
1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

New suspension/exhaust on tan 60 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Slider designs and begin fabrication begins 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Front running light replacement 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

12HT purchased! Videos and pictures 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Front driveshaft strip and repaint 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Rear pillar vents blasted and painted 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Sound Deadening the Rear Half of the Car 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

12HT Swap BEGINS!!

Day one: Engine Pull Time Lapse 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Engine Prep and Clean 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Enginebay Wire Wheel and Re-paint 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Engine Goes IN!!! 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Fabrication: Motor mounts, and bolt in 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Trany Drop, clutch bolt up, trany replaced 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Coolant system and hoses installed, primary accessories and support equipment mounted in engine bay.

Exhaust system fabricated and mounted Also had to custom build the gas pedal

Fabricated Throttle assembly 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Final touches and installations 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Fuel System Update 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Truck finally runs under its own power! 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Swap is 100% complete
- Rigid Install
- LED dash lights

King of the Hammers 2015- 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Fuel Shutoff/Kill Lever Install- 1987 FJ60 Expedition Build

Mods So FAR!!!
-Lift
-5 speed
-T-case rebuild
-Knuckle rebuild and Tie rod ends
-Rear half sound deadening
-Rear bumper
-12HT TURBO DIESEL SWAP!!!! (My pride and joy)
-Interior dome/tailgate Lights
-Sound Deadened interior
-New marine carpet and seats

My first real project was a new bumper build. Got tired of having my hi-lift laying in the back, and wanted to carry it outside the car. So I rebuilt a hi-lift that I got for free. Hi-lift was in ROUGH shape so i stripped the paint off of it, and re-painted it.

Got the Raw Steel in 20ft strips= 1 length of 3 inch x 1/6inch steel, and one length of 5x1/6inch
Measured out the mounting brackets, and made a 3D scale design on SketchUp. Cut the strips to size, and got the mounting holes drilled. Used welding magnets to hold the pieces in place to check for line-up. Then I bolted the pieces on and tac welded the whole thing together. Removed it, and welded the whole thing.

Mounting brackets for the hi-lift are home made; milled on a lathe from 1inch solid steel rod. Drilled for lock and pins.

Soon Ill post up the front end/knuckle rebuild, lift, transmission swap, and some re-wiring. In the next week or so I'll also be starting my slider and bumper builds!

IMG_0791_zps61bf5de6.jpg

Last edited:
FRONT END REBUILD

I was getting some rather ludicrous wobble in the steering over 45mph, so I took it to Mudrak to get it checked out. Gary and I pulled apart the front end and in about 3 hours had everything fully rebuilt. We did the knuckles and front axle, and fixed the e-brake that was sticking. We replaced the rotors, and put in larger caliper's (brand new) that are on the 80 series. The truck stops much quicker now, and I can lock up all four wheels with a firm stomp on the brake. (previously it took about a mile to come to a stop from 50mph).

Couldnt get any pictures during dismantle or re-build but I got some final pictures.

Truck drives sooo much better now. I have way more confidence braking and controlling oversteer at high speeds.

Next up are some smaller fixes, then Ill post up my H55 swap! Rebuilt the transfer case and dropped in an entirely new 5 speed manual transmission. Pictures and writeup coming soon!

Wiring Fixes

I fixed the rear windshield wiper. It wasnt engaging when the switch was flipped so I followed the wire back from the motor until I found it split back up where it hinges between the hatchback and enters the headliner. I cut the wire and added about four inches of heavier gauge wire to sustain the wear of the closing door. Now the wiper works perfect.

Then the other day I got pulled over because my rear license plate lights were out. I checked the bulbs and fuses and they both looked fine. I had to open up the tail gate and chase the wires from the bulbs back to where they connect with the trailer wire's. Before I got there, I found the problem. Just like the wiper wires, the wire had been broken right at the junction between the tailgate and body. So just like the previous problem, I cut it, beefed up the gauge between the gate and body, and called it a day. Lights work great now and we're moving on to protection!

Right now Im working on designing some sliders and bumpers. I want to fine tune my rear bumper design and add dual swing outs, shackles, a beefier mounting system, and a nicer looking design. The last bumper was a great first run but it needs some improvement. Ill probably put the old one on my dads 60 or sell it.

As to the front bumper, I think I found a killer deal. A guy I know got in a wreck and messed up his ARB bumper. He Tboned the other car at an angle so he only messed up the left wing of the bumper and bent in his fender. Since his truck is covered by insurance and he's getting a new bumper anyway, Im looking to buy or trade for his old one. If I get it, Ill chop off the right and left wings, the tube/bar bart, and go from there. What Im really looking for is the winch tray, and chassis mounts. Because those are all connected and perfectly fit, it would take out about 80% of the design and fab work. Once I have the center 40% of the bumper, I can design my own left and right wings, and any top bar system I want. I think this would be a killer way to go and very inexpensive, yet high quality. Most bumper builds go to hell when the load bearing parts arent plum or well constructed. If I got the bent one, most of the work is done and I have a solid base to start from. Fingers crossed.

New Stickers and Decals!

The old decals and stickers were getting old and flaky. Not to mention that the two of them were crooked and it drove me NUTS. So I peeled off the old ones, got out the bubble level and masking tape and put on some new decals.

The guy that rearends you is going to regret it.

Beautiful 60, though. Real nice work you're doing—

H55 5speed swap!!!!

So the old 4 speed was tired. The clutch was almost gone and it was time for an upgrade. I have been planning on dropping in a turbo diesel, and they are much easier to mate to an H55 trany anyway, so its a win-win. I started out removing both the front and rear drive shafts, skid plate, and cross member. After that came the old trany, t-case, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, bellhousing, starter, and oil pan. I bead blasted or washed the old housings and parts, repainted them, resurfaced the flywheel, and rebuilt the transfer case.

Old trany, flywheel, and clutch is out

Im so organized...

New Parts Ready to go in

Shop shot

FINAL PRODUCT

I have been driving the truck for a couple weeks since I finished the swap so there's some mud spatter here and there. Regardless, she's looking pretty good and I thought I'd share.

The truck drives like NEW. In fact, its BETTER than new. The H55 is what should have gone in all these 60's cruisers. It really improves the drivability by about 100%. I cant recomend this swap highly enough.
I am finding I have way more power to climb hills at speed (55 or so), and the truck can really get up and go on flats. In 5th I have no trouble comfortably cruising around 65mph, and can push to 70-75 (compared to my old top speed of 60 at about 3,500 rpm in fourth).
Overall, killer swap. Couldnt be happier.

Stay tuned. Next up, Im building a set of removable rock sliders, followed by a front and rear bumper. After that fabrication Im planning on some aux lighting, communication equipment, and recovery gear.

Alright guys. Now I need to ask a question.
How on earth do you upload an Avatar picture under 5kb? Like....... thats basically a thumbnail. I cant decrease the pixel size on my photos enough to comply with the 5kb limit. CURSE YOU NEW MUD!!!!!!

Last edited:
TEQ logo shouldn't be a problem—here's one under 5K.

TEQ.gif

TEQ logo shouldn't be a problem—here's one under 5K.

TEQ.gif
Thanks Saucebox, I got it. I wanted to use a picture of my rig in the snow but there's no way to get the file size small enough. Whatever. Ill deal.

So. Anyone got any recommendations for what I should add next?

Great work, nice looking 60

Lighting Questions

Hey guys, so does anyone have any recommendations for some aux lighting? Im looking for a good flood/spot balance without breaking the bank. Iv considered LED light bars like RIGID's, but I dont have a great place to mount a bar. I personally hate the look of a stand-alone bar on the roof of a truck, and anything over 20 inches is to big.

So, lighting suggestions under $200?

Looks great. Love the rear bar work. To confirm do the 80 series calipers fit stock rotors and behind stock 15" rims?

Looks great. Love the rear bar work. To confirm do the 80 series calipers fit stock rotors and behind stock 15" rims?

They do bolt up to the bracket correctly. As to fitting the stock rotors I'm not sure. My rotors needed to be replaced anyway so I just grabbed a set of 80's series rotors to be sure they fit. They will fit behind the stock wheels, but if not a wheel spacer will give you the clearance you need.

Current Status

Alright guys, heres a quick shot of the rig as she stands!

I'v come to the conclusion that the engine is on its last legs. From what I can tell its not really worth rebuilding for the performance it provides. Though it runs well, starts easy, and has NEVER let me down, its time for a change.

Im selling what I can, and buying a whole FJ61; running, with a 12HT turbo diesel. The truck has 65,000 miles on it. The guy Im buying it from doesnt want the engine, just the body (its right hand drive and the axles need work) so Im buying it for $10,000. Once I buy it, Ill spend a few days taking EVERYTHING from the engine bay of the donor truck, and transplanting them into my current 60. Once Im all done, Ill sell the body and rolling chassis back to the guy from whom I originally purchased it for about $3,000.

Long story short, Im budgeting 100 hours, and $7,000 for a 12HT swap.

Your in for one hell of a build im thinkin' !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom