1987 FJ60 Air Conditioning: Compressor or Compressor Clutch bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The car is an 87 FJ60 with factory AC

Background:
I just had the expansion valve and the drier replaced with Toyota parts by a local auto AC shop. This was done while the dash was out installing a new stereo and amp under the dash.

The AC worked fine as I was driving it home from the AC shop (without the dash pad in it).

A few days after the dash went back in, the AC stopped blowing cold. I thought I had disturbed a relay or something while I had the dash and kick panels out, so today I went out to trouble shoot. Here is what I learned:
  • The blue light is on
  • The VSV circuit works and the engine idles up like it should.
  • The 10 amp fuse is good.
  • The fan blows
  • There is 12.7 volts to the AC compressor through that very thin black braided wire going to the compressor clutch assembly when the fan is on. There is zero voltage when the fan is off. This tells me the clutch is being told to engage.
  • When the fan is off (no voltage) the front of the clutch housing is stationary.
  • When the fan is on (12.7 volts to that wire), the clutch starts to spin and a low growling is heard. However, usually there is a hard CLICK when the compressor clutch engages. Today, there is no hard click, just a low growling. I can also simulate this by unplugging the little connector in that black wire when the fan is on. Connected, low growl and the front of the clutch spins. Disconnected, no spinning (and no growl).

My question is: Based on this information, it seems like the clutch is working correctly? This leads to the compressor being bad?

OEM compressors nor clutch are available from Toyota. Any recommendations on where to purchase whatever is bad?

If the AC clutch stops spinning when power is applied to that black wire - the clutch is engaging. Normally it makes a clunk sound.

I'm wondering if the growling noise is internal bearings in the compressor going out. You'd think it would still compress refrigerant....

I would try to get pressure readings. It might be overcharged creating high head pressure in the compressor.

A new compressor doesn't make weird noises. If your noisy one can be made to cool, use it until it dies - then buy another

Zero pressure on the high or low side. Looks like all the refrigerant leaked out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom