1986 Toyota Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Picking up this bad boy this weekend for $1500. No rust, underside is looking pretty mint for being a Arkansas/Missouri truck. Anyone have any recommendations for a carb rebuild kit? 22R 5 speed?
89251500_10100506269779313_7149282533765545984_o.jpg
89290676_10100506263826243_688136743882326016_o.jpg

88434922_548978915720166_2248417866242064384_n.jpg

88240536_615389529241569_6279719868719693824_n.jpg

Nice truck! Definitely a steal for $1,500.

I used a GP Sorensen kit when I rebuilt the carb on my 1980 20R. Fine quality kit with everything I needed. You can pick one up at your local AutoZone.

Nice truck! Definitely a steal for $1,500.

I used a GP Sorensen kit when I rebuilt the carb on my 1980 20R. Fine quality kit with everything I needed. You can pick one up at your local AutoZone.

Thanks! I'll make sure to pick one up from them. Your thread on your xcab was one of the threads that convinced me to pick one up

Congrats on getting the right color! All the cool kids have red trucks/4Runners! Is that Mud all over the sides, or is it growing fungus?? $1500 is a steal for that if it runs and drives!

Just got her home. I guess this thread will turn into a build thread as I fix the major issues.

Couple things that need to be addressed:

1. Carb needs to be rebuilt ASAP. I basically kill the battery with the s tarter each time trying to start the thing. This will be done first.
2. Brake work - front calipers lock up on gravel, but the rear drums are completely shot.. there is either no pressure, or the boots are just destroyed. This will be addressed after.
3. New wheels - The guy I bought it from used it as a farm truck. He didn't have proper wheels so he chopped up some isuzu truck wheels with an angle grinder and made them fit.. obviously not road worthy. Buying some old 4runner wheels with tires today for $100 to hold me by while I wrench it in the driveway.

Leaks that need to be addressed:
1. Brake fluid reservoir leak - luckily I think this is just a busted hose. I will also fix this ASAP as I don't want the break fluid corroding the pristine engine bay paint.
2. Leaky steering box - just think the seals need to be replaced.

Luckily, the guy is a cruiser head. He had a farm about two hours north. Had a huge garage where he worked on his fj60, and two fj40s. He has included everything from new seals for all the issues, drum brake rebuilt kit, new exhaust, and a few more odds and ends.. Really made the deal even better having basically everything needed to fix all the issues, minus the carb rebuild.

Congrats on getting the right color! All the cool kids have red trucks/4Runners! Is that Mud all over the sides, or is it growing fungus?? $1500 is a steal for that if it runs and drives!
Looks to be spray paint actually haha. Paint isn't the best, but honestly that is the least of my worries. I don't mind driving an ugly truck as long as its mechanically sound. Paint will probably be the last stage in this process

Small little update. Finally got some 4runner rims and wheels on the truck.
IMG_0678.jpg

The last owner really did anything to make the last wheels fit.. Had to get rid of these ASAP

IMG_0680.jpg

Also got the shotty idler arm replaced as well. The carb is currently sitting in pine sol, and that will be cleaned up and put back together once the kit comes in from Advanced Auto Parts. Next up are the rear drum brakes.
IMG_0709.jpg

I am impressed with how clean that truck is underneath. Ya, the last thing I need now is another vehicle, but if that deal was in front of me, I'd have a hard time getting the money out of my pocket fast enough to make it mine. You did well.

Love the hack on those wheels... wow.

Trick I learned many years ago to clean a gunked up carb: 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water in a Crock Pot, set on low. Leave it sit over night. It will be sparkly clean in the morning.

Trick I learned many years ago to clean a gunked up carb: 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water in a Crock Pot, set on low. Leave it sit over night. It will be sparkly clean in the morning.

And guaranteed to have the skirt in the house perma-ban you from the kitchen. [Says the single guy who washes car parts in the dishwasher.]

And guaranteed to have the skirt in the house perma-ban you from the kitchen. [Says the single guy who washes car parts in the dishwasher.]

Also a single guy here, with too many Crock Pots in the basement.

Seriously, a quick scrub and you'll never know it had car parts in it. But you can often find them at yard sales and flea markets (back in the days when we could go to such things), and Walmart even sells a new 2 quart model for under $10.

Carb has been fully cleaned and put back on. Running like a champ again now. Spark plugs were replaced as well and it starts up usually on the first crank. Only thing left is the rear drum brakes and its off for an inspection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom