1986 toyota 4x4 questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of buying a new to me 1986 Toyota extended cab 4x4. I was not looking for one of these trucks but I stumbled into a deal and could not say no. The only thing that would halt the deal, will be if it fails the inspection miserably.
I have owned alot of Toyota's but never a 22re. With that said, please excuse any dumb questions.

It seems most of the chassis, / suspension parts are interchangeable with 1st gen 4runner am I correct?

I have been spending hours reading about these trucks and I am getting pretty excited. Looking for some advice on a few items. I want to start ordering parts as soon as I get the okay from the mechanic on the inspection and compression test.

I am going to keep the truck, stock height. It's going to be a 2nd vehicle, for now, just something fun to drive around and take on few day camping trips. It does have a smithy built front tube bumper. I don't mind, I think I will just leave it. Other than that the truck is stock.

Here is what I am thinking. Let me know.

I know it needs new shocks:
I was going to run goold old bilstein HD 4600

Steering dampener:
thinking I will just go Monroe. I could go with OME?

Torsion bars:
I think stock are 23mm is this correct. Looking for recommendations.

Tires:
31x10.5x15

Brakes, calipers , rotors
Looking for recommendations?

There are some cosmetic items, that I will comb some salvage sites for. Rear bumper needs a refresh, needs a new sunroof. Definitely going to add sound deadening to the floor and doors. I am sure a few other things. That's what I noticed so far.

Any other help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome. Post up some pics! Most 79-95 pickups and 4Runner stuff is interchangeable. Obviously not everything but a lot is. Reasonable amount of LC stuff can be used here and there depending on what you’re doing.
First thing I always upgrade is brakes. Just seems to be the way I do things. I like using early 90s V6 4Runner/Truck calipers, master and booster. All bolt on. You’ll need to trim the backing plate a tad for the calipers. I would work on eliminating the goofy lspv in the rear. It’s that arm looking thing that adds or reduces fluid based on weight load. They leak and aren’t very aesthetically pleasing. I used a summit pv. Pretty straight forward process.
Bilsteins are good but I’d probably go with OME. People on here seem to like them more.

Welcome. Post up some pics! Most 79-95 pickups and 4Runner stuff is interchangeable. Obviously not everything but a lot is. Reasonable amount of LC stuff can be used here and there depending on what you’re doing.
First thing I always upgrade is brakes. Just seems to be the way I do things. I like using early 90s V6 4Runner/Truck calipers, master and booster. All bolt on. You’ll need to trim the backing plate a tad for the calipers. I would work on eliminating the goofy lspv in the rear. It’s that arm looking thing that adds or reduces fluid based on weight load. They leak and aren’t very aesthetically pleasing. I used a summit pv. Pretty straight forward process.
Bilsteins are good but I’d probably go with OME. People on here seem to like them more.

Thanks for the brake recommendation.
I also love OME, and usually use all their components for suspension lifts. I didn't know that they made stock height shocks. I am not looking to lift the truck at all.

I would creep on on the parts replacement before you start spending a lot of money on stuff that you may not need. (and then there is the stuff that your REALLY need) I would go through the brakes and then just drive it for a while so see what works and what doesn't. My '88 had 280k miles, but many of the parts had been replaced over the years. It drove fine until it didn't. Turns out the fuel pump died so I searched and found a Denzo replacement. That was all well and good until I realized that the rubber line that goes from the tank to the frame is NO LONGER AVAILABLE! What do I do now? I ended up going to the local race shop and converted it to AN fittings and had to mail order metric AN conversion adaptors $$$. The point is that some of the parts that we take for granted cannot be bought for any money anywhere, i.e. clutch slave cylinder rubber lines. The biggest thing that has helped me on my truck, and I HIGHLY recommend is find a cheap doner truck that you can rob parts off of. It will save you a ton of money. I salvaged countless small parts from the $800 truck and then sold it for what I paid for it.

2020-01-16 21.29.51.jpg
2020-02-11 12.14.52.jpg
2020-03-18 09.24.42.jpg
2020-02-07 16.03.09.jpg
2020-03-16 17.25.33.jpg

That motor that Rosa and I pulled out of the '87 ended up being the only usable block that I had for rebuilding the 22RE motor. The block surface in the '88 was about as flat
2020-03-25 10.20.31.jpg
as a waffle.

X2! Try and find a parts stash or better yet an entire donor rig for cheap. I ended up buying some dudes 22re parts stash after his wife told him to get rid of it. The last second block he made me take ended up being in nicer shape than my other one I had lined up to build. Point being buying individual parts will kill you...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom