1986 sr5 4x4 toyota pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So to start off I want to say that i'm not the biggest car guy in the world, so if I make any mistakes while naming things please feel free to correct me. I have been told that the truck is a 1986 sr5 4x4 extra cab pickup, if the pictures don't match that year and model, then again feel free to correct me. it is going to be my first car/truck but does need some work and that's why i am posting here. From what I have been told it needs a new transmission, brakes, windshield seal, tires, and some cosmetic repairs like some surface rust.
If anybody has any advice on a good place to find parts for the transmission (manual), all help and advice is welcome.

unnamed(1).jpg

unnamed(2).jpg

unnamed(3).jpg

unnamed(4).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Looks like a 1986 Extended cab to me. The junkyard will be your best bet for a transmission or search on craigslist for people parting them out.

You're going to have a lot of fun wrenching on this one!

Cool truck and awesome first vehicle. Where are you? This is not the most active sub forum in the world but it's also not YotaTech or Pirate so you'll get more help here.

Yes if you have Toyotas in junk yards around you (I don't) then start picking there.

Cool truck and awesome first vehicle. Where are you? This is not the most active sub forum in the world but it's also not YotaTech or Pirate so you'll get more help here.

Yes if you have Toyotas in junk yards around you (I don't) then start picking there.
i am in the portland metro area, i wouldn't know if there are toyotas in the junkyards since i'm new to this kind of thing.

Yeah geographically you're in the best place in the western world. Start scrap yarding.

Looks like a 1986 Extended cab to me. The junkyard will be your best bet for a transmission or search on craigslist for people parting them out.

You're going to have a lot of fun wrenching on thi
Thanks for the advice, I looked on craigslist but couldn't find much, I might just be using the wrong search terms.

Check out these guys.
Theyre local to you and can help.

@CreeperSleeper
Thanks for giving me the link to that page, I'll be sure to look into how they can help me.

@CreeperSleeper on this forum is a Cascade Member. He could lend a hand! He's got the same pickup.

Thanks for tagging me in this! Looks like an awesome little truck and myself (and the club) would be more than happy to help out. There is a few of us that have these trucks. What part of PDX are you in? I'm in Forest Grove, about 30 min west of PDX off Hwy 26.

Thanks for tagging me in this! Looks like an awesome little truck and myself (and the club) would be more than happy to help out. There is a few of us that have these trucks. What part of PDX are you in? I'm in Forest Grove, about 30 min west of PDX off Hwy 26.
I'm just outside of Portland in Lake Oswego, It would be awesome to hear about any good places to get parts.

That truck looks like a 1986 Xtra Cab Truck to me!

I am in Tigard, so not far.

Most of the new parts I buy come from either a local dealership, online dealer, or from the small businesses that help our little slice of classic Toyotas such as 22RE Performance and LC Engineering for engine related parts and Marlin Crawler for manual transmission / transfer case related parts.

My used parts come from all over: Craigslist, forum classifieds, auto salvage yards, eBay, etc.

Your windshield may just need a reseal, but there is a decent chance that there is rust forming where the windshield sealer meets the metal and water could be coming through where the rust has eaten away the metal. Rust usually isn't too big of an issue here, but it is just something to be aware of.

Despite what Prairie Swamp said, YotaTech is also a great forum for these trucks. Feel free to start a thread there too. It doesn't hurt to get information from a wider pool of Toyota enthusiasts. :)

:steer:

I'm just outside of Portland in Lake Oswego, It would be awesome to hear about any good places to get parts.

Nice! My office is on the corner of Boones Ferry and Pilkington, so we are close. Cascade Cruisers has their Meet & Greet / Meeting the third Thursday of every month at Busters BBQ in Tigard. We would love to meet you and provide you with some resources to get your truck going.

Jake is spot on with his response. There are a lot of parts around this area, so you have that going for you. I have also had good luck on Facebook Marketplace for used parts.

I'm also in Forest Grove, more of a lurker on this site. Craigslist seems to be the best place to get used parts, there always seems to be at least one person parting out a vehicle. Welcome to Mud

Exciting. These are some of the best threads where you're starting with a blank slate and need to learn everything about it. Looking forward to your progress.

The dent above your drivers tail light... I have an identical one except it's on the pass side.

Portland is good for parts. Several Picknpulls in your area. I drive down from Vancouver B.C to get parts for my 1990. Check inventory regularly and watch craigslist. I've seen a lot worse trucks than that, like mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom