1986 FJ60 - What's it Worth - Where to Start - Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. New to the forum but not to Toyota Land Cruisers. I am new to the FJ60 though.

I had listed locally a 1997 Lexus LX450 I had shipped to Ohio from California and was approached about a trade for a 1986 FJ60, also from California. He was going to throw in a little cash but IMHO it wasn't enough.

Anyway, so while trying to get rid of an FJZ80, I ended up buying the FJ60 because I liked the looks of it and once I was in it, fell in love.

So, I ended up with a 1986 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60 with 220,000 miles that is in overall, great condition. The dash is cracked up and paint sun damaged but outside of that, it's absolutely rust free. It's a 4 speed manual transmission with an Old Man Emu suspension kit. Has the larger tires and sits up quite nicely.

I've included some pictures of the vehicle and was interested on where to start and if I should have it painted or leave it original? There's no major dents or dings, no surface rust, no body damage or previous accidents.

I'm currently going through the entire thing and checking over the front end, greasing everything, changing all fluids and just cleaning it up and getting it road ready. This week I'm going to spray it with Fluid Film because the stuff works and living in Ohio, I want to keep it as rust free as possible.

However, I'm a bit curious what a car like this would be worth out here in the Northeast. What are buyers paying for this vehicle AS/IS? I'm asking because I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. It's another project and I'm not sure I'm ready to start dumping money into it. Just curious. I have to sell one of these cars because I have too many. Either selling the LX450 (which is mint) or the FJ60 because I have too many cars and not enough room for them.

Opinions, advise?
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0419.jpg

Since it’s desmogged, that could be a negative to some. If you’re planning on selling it, I’d maybe update it a bit. As is? In my opinion it’s probably worth $10-12k. If you update or go back to stock bumpers, wheels, etc, a CA truck in Ohio is probably going to bring close to $20k. I definitely wouldn’t drive it thru the winter though, fluid film or not. They don’t need any help rusting, even CA trucks.

I’m in the 8 to 10 K camp.

The aftermarket bumpers and wheels are really a Takeaway for me. California has roof rust issues so that’s a concern. If there is none, that’s great! And not knowing interior it’s hard to comment on that

Since it’s desmogged, that could be a negative to some.

Thanks for the comments and insight. It has been desmogged but everything they took off (which I believe was recent), was included in a box in the back of the rig. It also passed a recent smog test in CA so I'm not sure why it was all removed but it didn't look like they buttoned it all up properly.

I have the hoses and smog pump that were removed. It has a bit of a rough idle, I'm going to go through.

As is? In my pinion it’s probably worth $10-12k. If you update or go back to stock bumpers, wheels, etc, a CA truck in Ohio is probably going to bring close to $20k. I definitely wouldn’t drive it thru the winter though, fluid film or not. They don’t need any help rusting, even CA trucks.
I'll get some better pictures soon. While I like stock, I'm not going to try to track all the stock stuff down... simply don't have time. Other than what's seen, it looks relatively unmolested.

Definitely not driving this winter.

I’m in the 8 to 10 K camp.

The aftermarket bumpers and wheels are really a Takeaway for me. California has roof rust issues so that’s a concern. If there is none, that’s great! And not knowing interior it’s hard to comment on that
I hear ya. I like stock too. There's no rust on roof. Even around the channels for rain where there's a lip, no rust at all. I'll try to get come better pictures soon.

The interior, other than the drivers seat is decent. Back seats are near perfect. It does need all new carpet or what I was thinking is rubber flooring, a one piece product. Haven't looked around yet. Still so new to these 60s.

I'll try to follow up with some better pics later on today. Figured I may as well get some good pics of the underneath before the fluid film treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom