1986 FJ60 interior lights issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I receintly purchased this vehicle. I changed the plugs, rotor, distributor cap, colant hoses and fuel lines. In addition to this, I replaces all the light bulbs, inside and out. After I finished with the tune up, I started the vehicle. It ran terrible. I am checking the ignition timing this week to hopefully solve the problem. What has me stumped is that the dash lights and dome lights do not work anymore. When I first started it, the lights were intermitant. I realized that I forgot to hook up the wires back on to the alternator. I hooked them up and the lights then only worked for a short time. They will not work at all now. Please advise. :bang:

Id check for brittle or broken wires at the battery. When is the last time the valve cover gasket was done and the valves run? MIke

Hey, Mike. I have no idea about the valve cover gasket and the valves run. Why do you ask? As you are figuring out, I am not the brightest Cruiser owner in the bunch. I will check for brittle and/or broken wires. Thank you for the help.

If the cruiser is running rough after all that I suspect a vaccum leak. Check the valve cover gasket with soapy water and see if bubbles develope. Check all vaccum lines for leaks. MIke

The cruiser was running pretty good before I got my hands on it. The previous owner had no idea when it had it's last tune-up, i.e. plugs and wires. This is the reason I wanted to replace some things. I noticed when I took out the old plugs, they were not gapped correctly. I installed new ones with the correct .031 gap. Before getting into the work, I took pictures of the engine with the hoses and the correct configuration. I feel confident that I put everything back to the way it was (only now with new parts).

Check plug wires again. Maybe mixed two up?

fuzible link perhaps??

swamp60

tag3...you were right. Two of the plug wires were mixed up. The cruiser runs like a champ! Mr. Hansen...you were right as well. A wire coming off the possitive battery terminal, hidden under some black electrical tape, was brittle and broken. When the two ends were touched together, the interior lights came back on! I am on my way to an auto parts store to see if they have a replacement. Life has gotten much better. Thank you two very much!!!

tag3...you were right. Two of the plug wires were mixed up. The cruiser runs like a champ! Mr. Hansen...you were right as well. A wire coming off the possitive battery terminal, hidden under some black electrical tape, was brittle and broken. When the two ends were touched together, the interior lights came back on! I am on my way to an auto parts store to see if they have a replacement. Life has gotten much better. Thank you two very much!!![/QUOTE

was the broken wire in a group of three wires with a round, probably green plastic connector at each end that plugs in line with a wire from the +terminal and then to a bunch of wires on tthe other side?

thats the fusible link, and if one of those wires blew you need to find out why, if you dont even have one (and i just saw one yesterday that had been rigged to bypass) you could be experiencing a major melt down sometine in the future...

swamp60

Swamp60 you are right on the button. It is just like you explained. The wire, however, was brittle and just broke. From the looks of it, and the old electrical tape that surrounded it, it had been patched before. I would like to replace all the wiring, from just before the fusible links to the battery terminal. Any input on where I can get this? Thank again everyone for your help.

You can replace the "wire" which is actully special "fusible link" wire designed to act like a slow blow fuse- but you have to know the correct gauge...

Same thing happend to me, it was really age detoriation, not a short or some other electrical gremiln, luckily i had a spare (b/c i have another 60 that is not in use right now) and had every intention of rebuilding the old link till i left it on my bumper and drove off....

I believe a new one can be had for ~60 bucks OEM. I will be getting one this week from my local dealer- I will let you know what i find out....you can try CDan or some of the other Toyota Dealerships lister here that give discounts to mud members.

Do a little searching on "fusible link" and you will see the topic has been discussed m,any times..

swamp60

Thank you for the valuable information, Swamp60. I will first check with my local Toyota dealerships here in Colorado Springs. If they can't help me out immediately with a replacement part, I will contact Dan. Thanks again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom