SOLD 1986 FJ60 converted to 12HT/H55f 5 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Silver
46106DF7-B27F-48A2-B141-54238E9BB8FD.jpeg

Up for sale is my 1986 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60, converted with a 5 speed (H55f) manual transmission mated to a Toyota inline 6 Turbo diesel 12HT engine (originally installed by Man-a-fre in California)

The cruiser sits on an Old Man Emu front and rear Dakar springs suspension, with Man-a-fre rear shackles, front shackle reversal and sway bar links.
The wheels are 15” alloy Mojave wheels with 35x12.50r15 BF Goodrich KM3 tires with 95% tread life remaining (purchased 2019) - very little use.
I realize the spare is a Method wheel, I have a spare Mojave wheel in the garage. The buyer can have the option of either the Method wheels or Mojave’s.

The Landcruiser has at some point been repainted with the factory matched silver color, but has a few minor rust spots coming through, and a small shallow dent on the drivers side rear quarter panel. Nothing terrible, and the paint still looks good.

The odometer shows 260k miles. The body has 4+ plus front and rear bumpers, as well as 4+ plus slider step rails. The rear bumper has dual swing out rear tire carrier as well as a dual jerry can and high lift jack holder. The front houses a brand new never been used Smitty built winch with wireless remote control and synthetic line.
A functional safari snorkel system is also installed. Currently I have the powder coated airbox sitting on the workbench and am running a K&N cone filter. The reason being is after doing a few electrical upgrades (had to remove the air box) and testing it all out, I realized you can hear the whistle from the turbo which is normally muffled by the air box! Im such a child I left it off, but I can put it back on or just send it with the new buyer!

The headlights have their own upgraded wiring harness and LED’s throughout are really a fantastic upgrade over stock.

The air conditioning system works great and blows ice cold. The heater works great. The rear heater blower was disconnected during the engine conversion (the front puts our plenty for everyone!)

The interior is in fair shape for still having the original carpet. It’s a 35 year old vehicle that has some wear. Front driver and passenger side seats are Mastercraft Baja RS which are adjustable bucket racing seats, and the rear original seat was re-upholstered to match the black and grey color.
There is a Pioneer head unit with Bluetooth and Pioneer speakers in the doors. The interior also boasts LED lights throughout, including the gauge cluster, interior lights, as well as rear lights added to the rear hatch.

The worn rear cargo side panels have been replaced with TEQFAB custom wood panels which sports side storage on the rear passenger side with fuse box and rear USB/Cig lighter/12v readout. Great for charging your phone/accessories and monitoring the status of the 2nd battery.

There is a new center console with a padded top and 4 cup holders with storage inside.
A midland HAM radio is installed in the center console with an external speaker controlled a switched panel made by AuxBeam.

The Land Cruiser has a crate H55f 5 speed Toyota transmission. The 5 speed is a great upgrade from the original 4 speed that was found in the FJ60’s. The 5 speed has approximately 20k miles since it was installed.

The Engine: Toyota’s legendary 12HT direct injection all mechanical, inline six-cylinder Turbo diesel engine. This is the crown jewel of the cruiser!
This engine is a highly sought after and hard to find engine here in the USA. This was Toyotas answer to compete with the Cummins 6BT in the 80s.
Its an inline-six, direct injected diesel, with a Denso inline mechanical injection fuel pump. The efficient and smooth Denso pump has an automatic timing advance feature that fuels the engine with higher RPM’s, allowing smooth startups, smooth power delivery and strong top end acceleration.
The 12HT was built with high mileage life in mind. It comes equipped with oil cooling nozzles for the pistons, a factory bottom end girdle, and the connecting rod main caps are studded from the factory. The engines oil is internally cooled with a plate cooler in the oil cooler housing.

Many of these engines are still running around Australia living hard lives with crazy miles on them!

This engine was rebuild by a former military helicopter mechanic using all Toyota parts, and using the best quality/upgraded Australian parts where Toyota wasn’t available.
Part of the break in process was driving this vehicle from California to South Carolina cruising at 75mph with zero issues!
I personally just got back from a trip out to Colorado from Nashville TN, putting about 3,000 miles on the cruiser with no issues.
The engine has approx. 18k miles since the rebuild was done.

OK so whats been done to this 12HT?

• Completely bottom up rebuild of the engine.
  • Fuel pump and injection nozzles have been tested, checked and rebuilt by a certified Denso center.
  • Starter had been rebuilt.
  • Heavy duty Safari clutch by Exedy
  • Engine cylinder bores were bored out .20 over for larger new pistons
  • Pistons are hard forged ALFIN steel Ringland reinforced
  • Piston crowns have been ceramic coated with Cerakote to combat heat and Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT’s)
  • Block and head were precisely decked and smoothed
  • New head bolts
  • New valves, valve seats, valve seals and coolant plugs
  • New nitride coated cam lifters installed
  • Custom catch can built for the engine (originally it would vent into the intake)
  • New aluminum radiator and electric fan
  • 3” straight through exhaust - sounds amazing!
  • New belts and hoses throughout
  • Converted from 24v to 12v system (12v alternator and starter). Still have 2 batteries for aux power managed through a Painless master minder dual battery control system
  • Upgraded G-Turbo Grunter Extreme Green wheel turbo from Graeme (well known and respected Landcruiser tuner in Australia), pushing 18psi - stock is 7psi

To reliably run that kind of boost, a custom multi-layer steel head gasket was built and installed.

Almost every single part on this engine has been coated with Cerakote ceramic coating. This is great for abrasion and chemical resistance as well as heat dissipation.

The drivers A pillar has a 3 gauge pod system by Glow Shift - boost gauge, dual EGT (pre and post), plus a coolant temp gauge.

The upper gauge currently is for the coolant temp connected to a probe in the upper radiator hose, and a spare that isn’t currently attached to anything (could be used for a future intercooler or something else)
The middle shows readouts from dual EGT probes allow you to see precise turbo health, efficiency and accurate temps for turbo cool down.
The lower is a mechanical boost gauge.

The fuel pump is adjusted and tuned for good drivability. I daily drive this vehicle and I’m currently seeing 18-20mpg on 35” tires!

Features include:

• Fully rebuilt Toyota 12HT engine
  • G Turbo from Australia
  • H55 5 speed transmission
  • Dual batteries (everything is converted to 12v. 2nd batt is for accessories)
  • Painless Master Minder battery system for linking batteries in series
  • 4+ front bumper
  • 4+ sliders
  • 4+ Rear bumper with tire carrier and dual Jerry can holder
  • Table added to back of rear jerry can swing arm
  • FJ 62 side mirrors
  • Safari snorkel
  • Brand new Smitty built 10k winch with synthetic line and factor 55 flat link (never used)
  • LED headlights and marker lights
  • Front light independent wiring harness for better light output
  • 15 inch wheels with 35” BFG KM3 less than 10,000 miles on them
  • Front shackle reversal
  • Old man emu Springs and shocks
  • Old man emu front steering stabilizer
  • Mastercraft Baja RS front seats
  • Rears seats reupholstered to match the front
  • One stone padded armrest from Australia
  • Auxbeam control panel for ham radio and lights (similar to S pod)
  • Midland ham radio with external speaker
  • Alamosa Antenna
  • Aftermarket padded center console with six cupholders
  • Interior LED lights
  • TEQFAB rear side cargo panels with 12v power outlets, readout and Anderson plug
  • TEQFAB rear passenger storage compartment in panel
  • Single pull out drawer system on passenger side from land shark outfitters with pull out chopping board
  • Rear hatch LED lights wired to second auxiliary battery on independent rocker switch
  • Tailgate storage hatch by Huracan Fabrication
  • FJ62 Grab bar
  • 70 series sun visors
  • Genuine Toyota hand throttle added

The cons:
  • As mentioned before the paint has small bubbling in a couple spots and scuffs here and there nothing bad, no rot or holes
  • The front main seal has developed a tiny tiny leak. Leaves a drop on the floor if left for a day or 2. I have a new front main seal that I will try and replace before it goes. If not, I’ll include it.
  • The knuckles could use a rebuild at some point. Not pressing but I like things to be 100% so want to mention it
  • Little surface rust on the frame. I have started to rust proof the rear with POR15, but ran out. Its only surface, but again wanted to mention it
  • Door cards in the front are a little worn
  • The stock temp gauge will sometimes peg out full hot. Its not overheating, I think there is a grounding issue somewhere. The aftermarket pod gives the true water temp.

This is a great Landcruiser and one of a kind. I highly doubt there will be another offered with a 12HT engine built like this here in the US.

This is my 5th Landcruiser - I’m a huge enthusiast and I’d love to see it go to another enthusiast who will be able to take it to the next level.
We are all just curators after all!

The only reason I’m selling is I want more of a comfortable long range vehicle for the whole family. We want to go to Alaska as well as more trips out west and although this is a great vehicle, its still a 35 year old Landcruiser on leaf springs! Not ideal for the wife and kids for those long miles!

The left rear fridge slide out and roof top tent are not included.
Everything is negotiable though, so if you really want them we can work something out. The roof top tent is made by Terrapod and is less than 3 weeks old. Ive literally slept 1 night in it!

Located just outside Nashville TN
SOLD

Thanks!
Dan

1E7A907A-D777-45E9-A23E-403577430488.jpeg

Last edited:
I want to buy it for the sound alone lol. This is going to make someone extremely happy.

I want to buy it for the sound alone lol. This is going to make someone extremely happy.
The sound is pure music!

Killer!

The one stone armrest is modified fit for a 70? You like it?
yes. I drive with my elbow on the door and this was a nice luxury upgrade

SOLD.
Happy to say its going to a fellow mud member

Glad to hear it Dan! That cruiser is worthy of more adventure! Which platform are you working with now??
Thanks bud!
I actually went with a non-cruiser platform for the longer trips (blasphemy I know!), but I still have the FJ45 which im going to start hammering on here soon. She's also getting a 12HT with an H55 so don't that will certainly scratch the itch!

Thanks bud!
I actually went with a non-cruiser platform for the longer trips (blasphemy I know!), but I still have the FJ45 which im going to start hammering on here soon. She's also getting a 12HT with an H55 so don't that will certainly scratch the itch!

Pray tell what is this non-cruiser platform you speak of?

Looks to now be on BAT:

I saw that! Thanks for posting up
Hope the seller does well with it

This is on BAT so I guess it is getting flipped?
Could be risky. The literal boil that was BAT over the winter is certainly a simmer these days. Have seen many 60 series go for MUCH lower than one would expect lately.

Sold for $48,250 plus buys pays $2,412.50 in fees (5%) to BAT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom