1985 Mini Truck Head Gasket Repair--22R Engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am usually in the 80 section looking around but I have found myself needing help from you group of guys. I have a 2wd truck that has a build date of OCt/85 that has shown symptons of having a blown head gasket. Truck started blowing white smoke out the exhaust and has exhaust fumes/water in the crankcase oil. Temp gauge climbed to hot however was shut down immediately. I need input from the 22R experts that are lurking on this board please. Please list things to be considered during this process like timing chain ( has over 200K on engine), valve job,water pump replacement, etc. Are there any tricks that may not be listed in the FSM?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Howdy!~ Replace/upgrade oil pump. John

-1 wouldnt do this unless there is a problem

for a rookie, gettin the thing to seal up right, it can be a challenge.
aftermarket parts are junk, OE parts are expensive.

there a bunch of stuff in the FAQ about this job.

things to look out for is the hidden bolt under the distributor drive shaft, it holds the head to the timing cover

use card board to draw up the bolt location of the cover bolts and push the bolts thru the corresponding location of the drawing

some are longer than others

dont have to remove the water pump or the oil pump to get the cover off.

be gentle with the bolts holding the water bypass tubes on behind the timing cover.

put the engine to #1TDC first.

remember to re install the ground wire off the alternator harness back to the power steering bracket.

dont forget to put the bolt back on the dipstick tube

with the head off would be a good time to replace valve stem seals if it ever smoked when first stating it in the morning

dont mess with the valve adjustments untill AFTER its back together, and adjust them hot

you can take the head off with both the intake and exhaust manifold on, but eaiser to remove just the exhaust

dont loose the bolts that hold on the guides

change the oil before you start it back up

Okay so the truck ran great prior to the white smoke and overheating so should I even do the timing chain or should I just go in replace the HG and have the head checked for cracks and warpage. Would you have the head completely rebuilt? What would you do if it were yours in this sitituation?

Thanks for the replies!!!

I want to do all that is necessary but nothing that does not have to be done in the process. With that said I do not want to not do something and have to tear it back down in a few months either.

buy the chain kit and you get all the related parts.

you dont have to have the head off to replace the chain

i would replace it now, but its your call.

unless the chain guides are broken, then do it now

buy the chain kit and you get all the related parts.

you dont have to have the head off to replace the chain

i would replace it now, but its your call.

unless the chain guides are broken, then do it now
Howdy! Yea, I vote for the timing chain kit, as they get pretty worn out in 200,000. My oil pump was just a hair under minimum specs, but I reused it when I redid the front seal with a sleeve, at 200,000. John

yea do what they all said........or put in another salvage motor with less than 200k

Found out from PO that the timimg chain was replaced 70,000 miles ago so will just be doing the head work.

Thanks for all of the advise!!!

-1 wouldnt do this unless there is a problem

for a rookie, gettin the thing to seal up right, it can be a challenge.
aftermarket parts are junk, OE parts are expensive.

Looks like I may be doing the same thing on an '86 4x4 with 22re and about 200k mi.

I just priced head R&R gasket set at NAPA for $80. Have not yet priced Toyota. Is it worth the extra $$ to get Toyota gaskets?

I started the tear down this evening and about 3 hrs later the head has been pulled and ready to go to the machine shop in the morning.

Toyota gasket set lists for 156.00 and yes I do feel like they are worth the extra money.

I started the tear down this evening and about 3 hrs later the head has been pulled and ready to go to the machine shop in the morning.

Toyota gasket set lists for 156.00 and yes I do feel like they are worth the extra money.

Good job, that didn't take long. :clap:

Was $156 for the set to do the entire head job or just the head gasket itself?

156.00 is for the whole HG kit from Toyota. Is supposed to have all gaskets that are needed.

Wristy,

Should I buy new head bolts?

What is the best way to find out if they are stretched?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom