For Sale 1985 LHD BJ70- Nashville area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD

Up for sale is my 1985 BJ70 for $12,700 USD with a clean TN title. From what I can tell, this is an EU spec truck from Switzerland. It has 61,196KM's (38,025 miles) and inches up weekly as I drive it on the weekends. I can't guarantee it, but I do believe these are the original miles on the motor. It's a 24v system. Has ARB front bumper and does not have AC.

My guess is that it was a mining truck as the gauge cluster and spare tire carrier are different. I bought this last year and got this 70 as well as another '85 BJ70 (CAN LX spec) truck in the deal. I switched out the interior of the Canadian truck and put it in this one and then sold the LX truck to another member on here.
This truck is solid and starts easily and doesn't smoke. I have done a fair amount of work to get it back in good shape and just looking to recoup some money back from the deal. I have two teenage sons about to start driving and I need to get them something better suited for a new driver.

- New BFG KO2's added all around 33x10.5x15's (only 100 miles on the tires)
- Entire parking brake guts have been replaced with OEM parts from Onur
- Engine watchdog temp installer added
- CityRacer LED headlights installed
- CityRacer new Brake Booster
- New brake master
- Sound deadening butyl mat added to all flooring
- Odd Iron offroad LED interior light kit added
- New OEM windshield wiper arms from Onur
- New glow plugs
- Nearly all bulbs replaced with OEM bulbs from Partsouq (I also have multiple spares of nearly all bulbs)
- Frame and undercarriage were washed, wire brushed, treated with rust inhibitor and then sprayed with 3M Rubberized Undercoating
- New Pyle 24v to 12v converter installed with cutoff switch
- New Pioneer radio installed along with new speakers
- Cig plug wired to 12v

A few other things I've done:
- Added Wilson switch. I was not getting a hot glow and it struggled to start this winter. It has been perfect since adding the Wilson switch
- Added a choke style kill switch. My EDIC is operating but for some reason, it would not fully engage the arm in the OFF position. I left the EDIC attached and just removed the arm.

I have a few boxes of extra parts including front grill, spare tire carrier, fuel filter assembly, interior handles, plastics, steering wheel, new belts, new glow plugs, etc... Also have new Toyota thermostat gasket, thermostat, radiator cap, oil and fuel filters. My thermostat gauge quit working and I decided to order the above items but after reading about how these gauges are not that great from the factory, I decided to order the Engine Watchdog and have been happy with its performance.
I was told by the previous owner all fluids had been changed recently but I was going to go ahead and replace to baseline this spring but figured the new owner would want to do this service.

Pros:
- I feel this is a rock solid 3B engine (non-turbo) and has never missed a beat. Starts and runs strong. 4WD is solid and no leaks or other issues. I bought this from a mechanic who I trust and he told me the compression was good on all cylinders but I have never tested it myself.
- All brake parts including parking brake are either new or have been professionally serviced. Brakes work perfectly.
- Body/Rust- very minimal. This must have been briefly used as a mining truck and then someone got it and imported over here. It has been taken care of and not abused. Frame is in very good shape and still has/had most of the original paint.
- Paint: This is the original color but the PO told me it was repainted about 5 years ago. The paint actually looks really good but it was not a $10K paint job.

Cons:
-Paint: There is some overspray in places as they did not do a perfect job taping. To be a 5 year old paint job, it looks to be holding up really well. Although- there are 2 or 3 small bubbles forming on the roof.
- When I got the vehicle it had some chipped paint around a few places near the rain gutters. I went to my paint shop and had them mix up some paint but after shooting it on, the color is slightly off. It’s not highly noticeable and didn’t bother me so I never had a new batch mixed up.
- The carpet was ripped on the driver side near gas pedal taking it out of the CAN BJ70 donor. I suppose some good carpet tape could make it less noticeable.
- Spare tire carrier: I typically fold the seat up and put the spare in the back. The tire carrier would need to be mounted on the inside of door, you could drill holes through the back to access studs or fab a new back bumper with swingout.
- This is a weird one that I can’t understand: under both front floorboards are what looks like a small metal patch. They were screwed in but I really don’t understand why. The floorboards are solid and I have pics of them before I put on the sound deadening mat.
- Rear window frames have have the typical rust and gasket is starting to pull away

Feel free to ask any questions and if you are really interested, I’ll be glad to send some more pics as well as “before” pics so you can get an idea of the condition before I put down the sound mat and sprayed the undercarriage.

I know it’s a long shot but I may be up for trading for an FJ Cruiser or Tacoma as that is what my son is wanting.

Last edited:
Auto or 5 speed? (guessing 5 speed). Any interest in a 1st gen tundra?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom