Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of a 5B. News to me

Ive seen a few references to it in Dynas and Toyoaces for sale in Japan, but I havent tracked down the year etc.

lol....Onur y sus chanclas.....

Just be very worried when he takes them off in front of you.....

Conference calls done for 15 mins. Let's update a bit....

So, now that we have some technical and historical background, let's get to my 3B.

When I purchased it in 2015 it was a normally aspirated 3B. A dog. Scary to merge onto the highway with 18 wheelers in the RH lane going 70... I knew rather soon that I needed to do something about that. Turbo is obviously the first step. Researched it a bit and instead of doing trial and error design (read: expensive and time consuming) I reached out to Keith in Redding, CA (@Diesel42 on MUD) and purchased one of his kits. It was a complete kit with all the bits and pieces needed to add a turbo (big key was the 13B-T exhaust manifold to add the turbo as a direct bolt in):

90030ECA-4615-4AAA-8BB9-10E9AD537DB9_1_201_a.jpeg
F4D295C3-D7A6-466C-A995-0FE02FAADCC1.jpeg
B2B041E5-1D08-40EE-911A-520D15E2F1EC.jpeg
537D71A1-FE36-4500-8C26-A8CC7491DD38.jpeg
103669EB-7BB9-4626-A6D0-41580793F323.jpeg

That was installed in May 2015 along with tons of preventative MX to prepare the truck for a turbo-- including rebuilding the injectors and the IP. All good things to do anyway on a 3) year old power plant.

Everything was good. Made some tweaks to the turbo gaskets, had some oiling issues, etc. Just stuff I worked through and continued plugging away with the truck for 5 years beating the living crap out of it as well as doing lots of tuning to the turbo (boost and fuel)....

Unfortunately, starting roughly late last summer the truck started to run rougher and rougher with all sorts of weird diesel sounds emanating from the engine-- mainly from the top end. And of course I knew that it was eating a bit of coolant as well.

I knew I was going to address... but when? As such, this current situation has given me the opportunity to address everything once and for all....

So, off everything comes...

:)

Nice work dude! I kinda wish I was opening up my unknown 3B to follow/copy along. It probably needs it.

Great stuff Onur. So far so good! Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!!

I have no business being in the diesel section... but I am following for the great documentation and the NOS parts pics to come. :D

Onur, you'll probably scold me for asking this but have you considered upgrading to 15bft or perhaps one of the other DI factory turbo variations?

I was thinking the same thing--why not 13, 14, or 15B-t (or FT)? Engineered by Mr. T himself for turbo.

Commence scolding now. :cheers:

Onur, you'll probably scold me for asking this but have you considered upgrading to 15bft or perhaps one of the other DI factory turbo variations?

I was thinking the same thing--why not 13, 14, or 15B-t (or FT)? Engineered by Mr. T himself for turbo.

Commence scolding now. :cheers:

Nah. I like 3B simplicity.

And in all actuality I do need to do something with the thousands of dollars in parts I’ve stock piled over the years just for this moment.

And considering the precarious nature of my employment situation right now, I need to keep costs manageable.

Hello,

I can understand about staying with the B engines' simplicity. I saw them in action (and drove them) with Daihatsu and Dyna trucks in the tropics under severe conditions. The trucks kept going. The power train failed rather than the engine.

Very reliable engines indeed.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Regarding your employment situation, my thoughts and prayers are with you. This, too, will pass.

Juan

This is going to be epic, just like when you did the 2F in your 60.

This, just not the timeline part :eek: At least it looks like you aren't going to be stuck in machine shop hell if you ball hone and replace rather then overbore.

This, just not the timeline part :eek: At least it looks like you aren't going to be stuck in machine shop hell if you ball hone and replace rather then overbore.

Yeah. This needs to be done by the third week of April or so. I’ve got an involuntary 1 week no pay shut down at work. Gonna hammer this home fast. All parts are here and remaining parts needed are in bounds.

This is a sleeved engine so flex hone and go!

Im just worried about crank. That’s the only part that’s a known unknown yet and won’t really be able to see much until I pull the block later this week.

Yeah. This needs to be done by the third week of April or so. I’ve got an involuntary 1 week no pay shut down at work. Gonna hammer this home fast. All parts are here and remaining parts needed are in bounds.

This is a sleeved engine so flex hone and go!

Im just worried about crank. That’s the only part that’s a known unknown yet and won’t really be able to see much until I pull the block later this week.

if its always had oil, it's fine :)

Im just worried about crank

I wouldnt be unless its been giving you good reason to be worried. If the crank was f****** so would everything else.

Onur, after rebuild will you be adding turbo again or returning to stock form? Thanks for the info on B series engines. Was a good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom