Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pheewww, great job bud! Glad it's fixed and rolling about.

Me too. The only time it should stop rolling or crawling is when it is retired in its future spot at the LC museum in Utah. (As an example of a well-used, well-maintained 70 series)

nice work. I never noticed that before, is that a typo or is the manual suggesting to adjust while its running? I've done this on some old v8's but never on one of these.

Yes. @Mr Cimarron has a video of this on his YT channel. I didn’t have the patience to film it. :lol:

Sounds like an oil splattering little sewing machine. Nice work Onur.

Geez, all that from a non-adjusted booster.

I have had it happen but not this bad. I cracked a brake bleeder to let off pressure and drove home on the ebrake.

Good to see you got it going, sounds good.

Cheers

Just been driving it.... brings such pleasure....

08529683-0B1B-4921-889F-3B4553C5A9D7.jpeg
EFA19469-B4AB-4145-8088-3A04B16A8D5B.jpeg
63B354DB-002E-46C1-8542-4F722669F48B.jpeg
F0278D8A-A032-4801-89FD-FF137C0BEEEB.jpeg
A0E04274-A86E-4C7B-9686-66D4D6FF80C7.jpeg

Glad you’re up and running again. Your toasted turbo has me wondering a couple things. The side to side play is normally the result of a worn thrust bearing and it‘s something that gradually gets louder as the bearing wears thin. Was the fried turbo new or possibly a rebuilt turbo? The center cartridge could be assembled upside down by accident and that could cause the thrust bearing to prematurely crap the bed. The outlet opening is much larger than the oil inlet. Not only that, the thrust bearing isn’t a full circle like a washer. There’s a portion of the thrust washer cut away to allow for the flow of oil exiting the outlet. There are two pegs that seat the thrust bearing in one orientation. Even a 360 degree thrust bearing has an notched section for the oil to out flow. So, if the cartridge was incorrectly assembled the oil flow could backup and pool inside the compressor side of the turbo.

Last edited:
Ho
ly
Sheet.

Now I know why you've been so busy! How did I just find this thread a few days ago! I know I was not really on mud much for a while, but damn! A whole rebuild in 3 months?

Incredible work Onur. As always, you keep us heathens in line with your example of proper methodology, parts sourcing, and work ethic.

Those first pictures are just ok almost like a third grader took them but that last picture is so good it makes up for the first four.
I love seeing pictures of upstate NY even if they are taken by a 3rd grader. Such a beautiful and underrated part of the country IMO. NY is such a diverse state, really miss it sometimes.

I love seeing pictures of upstate NY even if they are taken by a 3rd grader. Such a beautiful and underrated part of the country IMO. NY is such a diverse state, really miss it sometimes.

We just bought a house and we really, really love this "neighborhood." The first house I bought at 25 is two miles away. Pretty cool to be back here with this dude.

IMG_4892~2.JPG

IMG_4907~2.JPG

IMG_4900~2.JPG

IMG_4896~3.JPG

Ho
ly
Sheet.

Now I know why you've been so busy! How did I just find this thread a few days ago! I know I was not really on mud much for a while, but damn! A whole rebuild in 3 months?

Incredible work Onur. As always, you keep us heathens in line with your example of proper methodology, parts sourcing, and work ethic.

Thanks Kraig.

Came across this vintage New Yorker magazine cover... seemed to be fitting here :) :
1603770100976.png

Thank you for the great info, it will prove invaluable when i start rebuilding my 3b.
I do have 2 questions:
1. What did you use as a sound deadner / heat shield ? I missed it, if you mentioned it.
2. I believe you said you raptor lined the firewall, any issues with it peeling / cracking from the heat ? I am considering doing the same, including raptor lining the engine bay. Do you forsee any issues ?

Came across this vintage New Yorker magazine cover... seemed to be fitting here :) :
View attachment 2478197

Be careful reading that type of fancy mans material. Next thing you know you’ll be smoking filtered cigarettes, cutting back on red meat, tucking in your shirt and not hanging out with the likes of people found on mud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom