Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Miller is correct.

In reassembling everything I forgot to adjust the brake booster push rod.

The more I pressed on the pedal, the tighter the brakes got until basically they were machining they rotors.

Of course, I didn’t notice at first until I noticed the engine bogging down and the temps increasing fast.

The engine was working against the brakes. It was working against itself.

Anyway, need to replace rotors and pads.
Bummer :mad:

Nah. Not really. Pads were low anyway. Just gives me a teal reason to install new pads/rotors/calipers. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
779E7EAC-EBE7-4F40-A321-62E6849527FF.jpeg

Last edited:
Probably actually a good way to break the rings into the cylinder walls, a nice, progressively increasing load 😁

Nice man! I’m always wondering if the 3-holers coming into EWR from the North Atlantic routes are you flying over my head.

:)

Maybe... The 767 has taken pretty much all the EWR-Europe flying. But This time of year we pretty regularly go over your area on our way to MEM.

Next time I’ll text ya so you can look. 🤣

If you guys are passing through here in the next week, you know I’ll be around... you should stop by.

Dan

Maybe... The 767 has taken pretty much all the EWR-Europe flying. But This time of year we pretty regularly go over your area on our way to MEM.

Next time I’ll text ya so you can look. 🤣

If you guys are passing through here in the next week, you know I’ll be around... you should stop by.

Dan

DO IT!!! :)

I don't know about stopping by on the way out, but more than likely definitely on the back side back to NY.

So to figure out the root cause.

I wonder if I have too much crankcase oil pressure that is hammering through the turbo?

All of this is so weird considering the turbo was fine before removal and I inspected it when I was on the bench and everything was superfine.

Something with the engine caused this. No bueno.

That sucks!

Were you boosting really hard when those brakes were dragging?

I see that picture of your temp gauge up higher, do you have a mech/digital gauge to know what actual temps it got too?

Is that a ball-bearing turbo? If so does it have a restrictor in the oil line?

Do you have a lot of blow-by if you pull that PCV hose?

Possible rings not seated or broke?

Boosting hard: yes. Always

Actual temps were hot. Don't know how hot in all honesty.

I have restrictor in oil feed line yes.

There is no PCV hose on this engine. There is a tube that vents to atmosphere down towards the ground.

I hope it's not the rings.

Time for removal and post-mortem.

Last edited:
Boosting hard: yes. Always

Actual temps were hot. Don't know how hot in all honesty.

I have restrictor in oil feed line yes.

There is no PCV hose on this engine. There is a tube that vents to atmosphere down towards the ground.

I hope it's not the rings.

Time for removal and post-mortem.

Thats right 3B dumps to atmosphere...is it dumping a lot out of that pipe?

Seems really weird that the turbo would do that.

Can you run without turbo to make sure engine is good? I suppose compression/leakdown would tell all right now.

Can you break apart that turbo easily to check the bushings and seals?

Thats right 3B dumps to atmosphere...is it dumping a lot out of that pipe?

Seems really weird that the turbo would do that.

Can you run without turbo to make sure engine is good? I suppose compression/leakdown would tell all right now.

Agreed. I don’t have compression tool for 3B unfortunately.

I am going gut the interior of the turbo so no moving parts. Reconnect and see what happens. The turbo is just an air tube at that point.

And some weird oil leak at the back of the head... damn. Only gets more interesting.

VC is coming off too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom