Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tire carrier was a waste. Not happening without significant fab work that I just don’t have time for at this point.

Unfortunately, as I found out later through correspondence, the folks who made this bumper/carrier kit have never installed it on a 70 series. The directions for it showed a GX470 and they sent me Nissan Frontier install pics and said “do it like this.” :rolleyes:

The tire carrier interferes with the RH taillight assembly blocking the turn signal as well as part of the backup lamp. And no options to relocate it or move it with my time constraints. I would need to re-engineer the entire RH side of the bumper to make it work.

Pretty pissed and bummed about this. Kinda corresponds with the really s***ty week my family has been having due to life circumstances.

Going to install the stock carrier for my upcoming West trip and address the tire carrier re-engineer sometime in the fall.

Or I might just scrap this entire bumper and start over again.

$1100 mistake.

The tire carrier was a waste. Not happening without significant fab work that I just don’t have time for at this point.

Unfortunately, as I found out later through correspondence, the folks who made this bumper/carrier kit have never installed it on a 70 series. The directions for it showed a GX470 and they sent me Nissan Frontier install pics and said “do it like this.” :rolleyes:

The tire carrier interferes with the RH taillight assembly blocking the turn signal as well as part of the backup lamp. And no options to relocate it or move it with my time constraints. I would need to re-engineer the entire RH side of the bumper to make it work.

Pretty pissed and bummed about this. Kinda corresponds with the really s***ty week my family has been having due to life circumstances.

Going to install the stock carrier for my upcoming West trip and address the tire carrier re-engineer sometime in the fall.

Or I might just scrap this entire bumper and start over again.

$1100 mistake.
I was wondering if you would be able to make the kit work. I reached out to them a couple weeks ago and they didn’t have much info other than giving me this image and saying I “could” do it like this. I passed on the kit after they led me in a circle with no real answers.

D386E45F-E17F-4CFC-99F3-9DE8FF76994F.jpeg

I think your bumper looks really good so far. I completed my bumper 2 months ago and as time goes by I think of different and better ways to do my tire/jack/shovel/recovery gear swing out on the back. There's really alot of different ways to do it. IE: Welding a pivot to the rear face of the bumper instead of the top of the bumper. Attaching hinges to the body like a jeep and having reinforcing backing plates inside(riveted?).........My BJ73 is from Spain and I have those silly blacked out tail lights, so my tail lights are installed in oval cutouts in the bumper and I will cover up my factory lights with other things when I make my swing outs...This weekend I realize I'd like to be able to attach a bike rack to my swing out.. Anyone with time/money can throw it at his truck and buy something that goes on perfectly. Serious credit to the man who successfully fabricates and creates on his own/to his own design. You will make it work in time.

Yeah, I’ll figure it out some time in the future.

I’m in crunch time now as I have to head to Grand Junction at the end of this week.

Nice. good luck on the X-country. Maybe I'll see you out there.

Baller.

Way to push through! Are you headed any further west than Colorado?

Congratulations, great build, thanks for sharing...keep on sharing !!

I should also thank my wife @CatskillsRunner who tolerated me through this entire build. She was, let's say, forgiving many times when I was knee deep in sheeeeit and I was pissed and I was irate and I was brutally tired and.... well, you get the picture. She was spectacular even when I wasn't.

She just left today for Grand Junction....

She needs a much-deserved break from her husband... :)

33C3BC87-6D48-4F0D-995A-83B09A8F552B.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom