Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to pull it out this far with my hands…

Fuuuug…

2F64FE77-DA1D-4227-96E1-EFBAAA87167D.jpeg

Holy guacamole!!!!! Was these liner finish (ready to install piston) or semi-finish then you need to bore and hone after installation ?
That suck soooo much

Semi.

And I really should have interviewed him better.

Lesson for all of us. I knew better.

Is there any way to rectify this with assembly/machine shop? That’s piss poor.

Ugh, sorry man. Such a comprehensive thread. Oh well. Onwards and upwards. Sorry for the distraction. Carry on.

Wow, that sucks man. The 3B series of diesel aren't hard at all to work on, thats just attention to detail BS.

What the hell! How is something like this possible?

My guess is,

The 3B cylinder liners are press fit. You might be able to tap them in, but you should really press them in. The same with removal. You should have to press them out. These are not loose fit liners.

Possibilities are wrong sized liners, possible the block was already bored for some reason? Possible the machine shop bored out the block as they thought is was a loose fit sleeve?

They obviously didn't use and sleeve retaining loctite paste which holds the sleeve and helps with heat transfer from block/sleeve.

Possible the liner/depth counterbore was not correct allowing the piston to move since there was no retaining paste.

A few options, but it all boils down to shoddy work from machine shop.

Wow, that sucks man. The 3B series of diesel aren't hard at all to work on, thats just attention to detail BS.

My guess is,

The 3B cylinder liners are press fit. You might be able to tap them in, but you should really press them in. The same with removal. You should have to press them out. These are not loose fit liners.

Possibilities are wrong sized liners, possible the block was already bored for some reason? Possible the machine shop bored out the block as they thought is was a loose fit sleeve?

They obviously didn't use and sleeve retaining loctite paste which holds the sleeve and helps with heat transfer from block/sleeve.

Possible the liner/depth counterbore was not correct allowing the piston to move since there was no retaining paste.

A few options, but it all boils down to shoddy work from machine shop.
How knows, shop may have use stone to clean the engine bore prior inserting the liner...he may felt asleep on the drill while honing? Running out of oil (low oil pressure) too much heat, piston got "stuck" with liner and force the liner to start moving just little bit and wear to a point that it got loose? They are semi-finisg liner so the shop needed to bore it, it use to have a good fitment at some time??? That's soo weird, my bloc is sitting in the garage with new liner (exactly the same)...

How knows, shop may have use stone to clean the engine bore prior inserting the liner...he may felt asleep on the drill while honing? Running out of oil (low oil pressure) too much heat, piston got "stuck" with liner and force the liner to start moving just little bit and wear to a point that it got loose? They are semi-finisg liner so the shop needed to bore it, it use to have a good fitment at some time??? That's soo weird, my bloc is sitting in the garage with new liner (exactly the same)...

yeah hard to tell, but usually when that liner moves it's blown headgasket time. And since they didn't use sleeve retainer it wasn't staying in place and probably not transferring heat at all correctly if it was that loose.
Semi-finished shouldn't have anything to do with the liner fitting in the block. I'd be more weary about them honing the block for looser fitting sleeve or possible the counterbore wasn't set right allowing that sleeve to move.

Maybe when that bearing cap was going, it was transferring way too much heat moving that liner because it wasn't secured/set properly. I'm guessing that was that weird noise it was making as it lost cylinder pressure when that sleeve(s) let loose. Dry sleeves on the 3B/13BT are press fit tight and a PITA to remove.

Sounds like there were multiple problems with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom