Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody oily mess everywhere.

AD44C0D2-343D-4ACB-A19A-571610E6E7F2.jpeg
FAC05D8C-A4A5-4577-8BA3-CFAF21F99F8E.jpeg
B4456D0F-3FAA-4E09-B7B0-DC14632B104D.jpeg

FA639821-B0D2-4D47-9A22-DE4B99FFD4AB.jpeg

Looks like a bunch of gritty s*** was on the exhaust side impeller. Both impellers were damaged as was the housing around the impellers.

This turbo is toast. On the shelf it goes for repair sometime in the future. Now to figure out root cause(s). Ugh. So much for driving my 70 this summer.

Prius is at Toyota getting new pads and rotors and a new set of tires. Going to be a boring drive to Colorado. :(

E77DD4E1-6E47-4E2C-BF7F-C7BF43B5BE2B.jpeg
CB9F832B-1132-4ED4-9D27-5562CF38BCB1.jpeg
4E001766-6C59-421C-A0C2-AFA5D9473319.jpeg

Looks from here like the exhaust manifold is dry so at least the oil isn't coming through the engine

Yeah, definitely not coming through the engine. But there was a lot of oil on the intake and exhaust sides which means lots of oil coming from the feed line. The feed line is a restrictor style one. I cleaned it and sprayed brake parts cleaner through it and it's fine. I am wondering if I am getting some type of a high pressure situation in the oiling system. Not sure how. The relief valves are all new. I might have to check these as well.

Where does that oil feed line come from? Right off the cooler?
is there a possible problem with the relief spring for the oil pump?
There should be one on the cooler as well if I remember correctly.

Where does that oil feed line come from? Right off the cooler?
is there a possible problem with the relief spring for the oil pump?
There should be one on the cooler as well if I remember correctly.

Comes off of the block right underneath the oil cooler....

I am going to check the relief valves, yes. Oil cooler housing, oil filter housing, and the oil pump at the timing cover.

I couldn’t tell you whether it’s better to break things at home, on the road, or at your destination. I’ve done all three and it literally takes the life out of you no matter what. Hang in there.

I couldn’t tell you whether it’s better to break things at home, on the road, or at your destination. I’ve done all three and it literally takes the life out of you no matter what. Hang in there.

Done all three as well Cim. Hell, we were together for the water outlet debacle in Moab a few years ago on your 80... man... that was a rough one too.

Echo this sentiment... though at home has always been cheaper.

Really bummed for you man. Gah!

Always better to break near home. Once the road, you have fewer options. This is disappointing but could have been MUCH WORSE. The Prius will make for a better road trip anyway. You'll be clean, cool and can drive further and faster. Enjoy. Time to make lemonade out of life's lemons.

Done all three as well Cim. Hell, we were together for the water outlet debacle in Moab a few years ago on your 80... man... that was a rough one too.
Oh yeah that was a fun one. 🤪🤛

I have alot of blowby with the turbo. I started getting crankcase pressurization when I tried to vent through a "catch can" that ended up restricting the blowby. I connected a 3/4" hose to my valvecover vent and it runs to a barb fitting that is plumbed into my air filter housing in the "spout" that feeds the turbo. All my oil weeping/oil smoke problems disappeared when I did this.

If you want to do a compression test, harbor freight tools has a diesel compression tester that has the proper thread fitting to screw into the glowplug holes on the 3B. Pull the glowplugs, pull the 15A engine fuse and use the tool takes less than 1 hour. I bought mine 2 days ago for $29 and it worked just fine for me.

Oh yeah that was a fun one. 🤪🤛
Did you put in a new oil pump rotor set? Use the old set? Check it with a feeler gauge and phase at installation?

Tossing out ideas.

Cheers

Hey buddy... yeah... Oil pump rotor set was new. Feeler gauge specs were followed as well. But it’s been 3 months since that part of the engine was assembled...

So... gotta do a lot of trouble shooting for a bit.

At this point, I just want to burn it to the ground.

There is really not much that could cause an over pressuring of the oil system. Did your oil pressure spike on the gauge? A stuck check valve or plugged relief valve but that is super rare. Clogged filter but that doesn’t make much sense either.

So I am kind of doubting it is an over pressurized oil system. Certain catch cams can cause probs, the filter type are the worst. A proper catch can won’t cause any issues though, they are just screens or layered mesh that catches the oil vapor and allow it to form droplets which fall into the bottom of the catch can. I don’t even think you are running one though, right?

Cheers

Well, I drained the oil and let the oil sit overnight in a pail.

No big or even small pieces of metal. Some glittering in the oil but that’s to be expected for the first oil change after an engine build.

No coolant and no fuel smell either. That’s good.

Going to check all of the check valves today, the oil return from the turbo and the oil feed lines.

Going to adjust valves again as well.

There is really not much that could cause an over pressuring of the oil system. Did your oil pressure spike on the gauge? A stuck check valve or plugged relief valve but that is super rare. Clogged filter but that doesn’t make much sense either.

So I am kind of doubting it is an over pressurized oil system. Certain catch cams can cause probs, the filter type are the worst. A proper catch can won’t cause any issues though, they are just screens or layered mesh that catches the oil vapor and allow it to form droplets which fall into the bottom of the catch can. I don’t even think you are running one though, right?

Cheers

I think he said a few pages back that the valve cover vents to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom