For Sale 1985 Hilux STD Cab 4x4 - Chicago Area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scam for sure
I would not default to that assumption......Standard cab is not popular at all, maybe it has a rotten frame, maybe someone died and they just want to get it gone. Could be a number of legitimate reasons.

Definitely a scam...picture is from an eBay ad where the truck was listed for $7,500.

I did find it on Ebay..............supposedly it sold for $13k with 71 bids back on Dec 15

So what's the purpose of listing it on CL......are they thinking someone would just send them the money without further investigation? Would people actually do that??????????

I did find it on Ebay..............supposedly it sold for $13k with 71 bids back on Dec 15

So what's the purpose of listing it on CL......are they thinking someone would just send them the money without further investigation? Would people actually do that??????????

Yeah pretty much - or they just get your e-mail and start spamming the s*** outta you.

Makes me wonder why all those weird numbers call me but hang up when I answer. Some people man.

[/QUOTE]

Yes--it happens every day. They will list is all across the country hoping for one person to take them up on it

Yeah I don't jump straight to a scam, but I spend way too much time on craigslist and fancy myself as a bit of an expert. Couple giveaways for me are single picture, minimal description, listing in auto parts (skirting the $5 fee to list a car (not uncommon by legitimate sellers, but something to watch for)), no mention of any substantive details on the car (trans, engine, anything more than "synthetic oil," and some generic lingo). But the biggest giveaway to me is how the contact is setup. There is no contact info besides the email address. Typically if someone goes the email only route, they let it go through craigslist emails and if they do the "no dropdown contact" option, they list a phone number. I'm not saying these are hard and fast rules, but definitely something to consider. Feel free to email the seller but don't be surprised if they want you to send them a deposit to hold the truck or just go ahead and pay the price because "a few people are on the way, but I'll hold it if you go ahead and buy it."

Saw it in Florida CL too, so every time I see that ad I flag it for deletion. I hate scammers!

Can you delete or mark sold?

You can delete the ad simply by clicking on "Flag" in the upper right corner. It's Craigslist's way of policing the site with the help of the users. When you click Flag it automatically deletes the ad with no notification to the person that put the ad up. It just goes away.
2020-03-11 13.35.10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom