1985 FJ60 Totaled? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure where to post this, but I was involved in a wreck today, and the insurance company is saying based on the damaged headlight and tail light, that the vehicle is not repairable. I cannot talk to the adjuster until tomorrow, too late in the day, but I am trying to understand what my options are. Vehicle still runs, and is drivable, so it's not totaled in my eyes. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Pictures attached if interested.

Thanks,
Bob

IMG_20230329_172946.jpg

IMG_20230329_172938.jpg

IMG_20230329_172934.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure where to post this, but I was involved in a wreck today, and the insurance company is saying based on the damaged headlight and tail light, that the vehicle is not repairable. I cannot talk to the adjuster until tomorrow, too late in the day, but I am trying to understand what my options are. Vehicle still runs, and is drivable, so it's not totaled in my eyes. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Pictures attached if interested.

Thanks,
Bob

View attachment 3285676

View attachment 3285677

View attachment 3285678
Need more information. Whose insurance company are you dealing with here; the other party who was at fault or your own? Was the wreck caused by another party? You always have the option of going through your own insurance company. The decision to "total" a vehicle is based upon a mathematical formula that is based upon the cost of repair in proportion to the total market value of the vehicle. If they do total the vehicle, they usually allow you an option to keep the vehicle in exchange for you paying them the "salvage" price. They also owe you for a rental while all of this is taking place. No need to be in a hurry. Talk to the adjuster and report back on what he/she tells you.

Need more information. Whose insurance company are you dealing with here; the other party who was at fault or your own? Was the wreck caused by another party? You always have the option of going through your own insurance company. The decision to "total" a vehicle is based upon a mathematical formula that is based upon the cost of repair in proportion to the total market value of the vehicle. If they do total the vehicle, they usually allow you an option to keep the vehicle in exchange for you paying them the "salvage" price. They also owe you for a rental while all of this is taking place. No need to be in a hurry. Talk to the adjuster and report back on what he/she tells you.

I am dealing with my insurance company, Allstate. Other vehicle lost control switching lanes suddenly and passed in front of me when I hit them. They were issued a ticket. This information about how salvage works is good to have. My local agent, old friend of mine, says to be careful about it being tagged as "salvage." I take after that happens, the vehicle might not be eligible for repaired for on road use.

I am dealing with my insurance company, Allstate. Other vehicle lost control switching lanes suddenly and passed in front of me when I hit them. They were issued a ticket. This information about how salvage works is good to have. My local agent, old friend of mine, says to be careful about it being tagged as "salvage." I take after that happens, the vehicle might not be eligible for repaired for on road use.
I agree with your friend; if you plan on keeping the vehicle, you do not want it to have a "salvage title." Since you are dealing with your own company, hopefully, they will treat you better. Be prepared. Research the fair market value of your vehicle. Likely they are going off of outdated unreliable data such as blue book.

That damage is consistent with what ive seen ins. Companies total. The REAL question is if the frame is tweaked (twisted as out of longitudinal alignment); regardless of finances that is the question. If it initially appears straight then you could get an appraisal and better make the argument it is worth saving (and not a salvage title. My buddy did do this on his “total”; although he was not trying to save vehicle; he just felt low balled and ended up getting more via appraisal.
Bob (too)

Thanks,
Bob

View attachment 3285676

View attachment 3285677

View attachment 3285678
Not a total as long as the frame is still strait. Like to do body work? now is the time to learn it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom