1985 FJ60 runs after being turned off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noob question; apologies in advance:

Bought truck about four months ago. PO told me it sometimes ran after being turned off due to the Holley carb he put in. However, it does not happen every time, but sometimes when it does it goes for ten or fifteen seconds, creating a really bad diesely stink, and I have to stall it out to get it to stop.

I looked up this problem in Haynes and there were a ton of suggested fixes, some of which I'm capable of doing myself and some I'm not. Also, possibly related, I often have to hold the gas down when cranking to get it to start, and even then it doesn't always take on the first crank, and when it does it blows some white smoke out the back.

Any thoughts on where to begin or should I just do everything I'm capable of that Haynes suggests and if it still isn't fixed take it to the shop for the rest?

I had the same problem. I figured that it was the carb sending fuel into the engine after the ignition was turned off. My problem is that the float sticks open activiting the jets.

Try that.

:beer:

The standard Aisin carb has a 'fuel cutoff solenoid', which closes off the fuel flow when the engine is switched off. I do not think the Holley has this feature. In the worst case scenario, replace the carb with a stock carb.

M

Yeah if you get the chance go back to the stock one.

Thanks. GLTHFJ60, that's a good call, would explain why it happens sometimes but not always.

I've been looking at stock carbs and want to make the switch (one deal on here fell through); any thoughts on whether a cruierparts.net "was running fine when removed" carb would be ok or whether I should pay the extra $175 for a fully rebuilt one?

Depends on who had rebuilt it but I would pay $175 more to have a rebuilt one.

I had the same problem. The timing was advanved to far after the rebuild and Holley install (7 degrees if I remember right). Had it turned back to 4* and the dieseling stopped. Occasionally got preignition knock under load, but gradually turned back the distributor and messed with the mixture until it stopped

I have also heard that if the timing is off it can cuase the engine to run after shuting it off.

Not sure if it'll help, but do what they call I think a "texas rebuild" It's where you spray carb cleaner in the carb then while the engine is running put your hand over the top until it stalls out. Pretty much sucks any trash out of your carb. Do it a few times, if anything is causing something to stick it should loosen it up and free up the parts inside the carb. Cheap easy quick check to do before you go buying a new carb. Pkus you have a clean carb afterwards :beer:

Also had a problem l;ike this.
I am burning a little oil and the plugs carboned up and glowed red hot.
Mixed with fuel it run on.
Replaced the plugs and alls ok for another 12 months

This forum is great; thanks. I'll switch out the plugs do the texas rebuild before deciding, but am thinking I'll probably end up going w/ Aisin . Thanks again.

dieseling is just runon after the motor is turned off. hot spots in the chamber igniting becuase of excess fuel. usually a timing issue except in cruisers its more common that the idle cutoff solenoid is boogered. (on stock carbs)

Ah. I get it. Now I know the term for what my cruiser was doing! Does this usually indicate a bad solenoid or just a clogged one? I just took mine out and it looks great. I don't know if that is an indication of it being good or not, but it looks great.

:beer:

you can check it while its out by leaving it hooked up and turning the ignition on and off. you should here it click or have a friend turn it on or off while you check it out.

also even if it is ok i guess its typical for the tiny o ring on the end to wear out. since these are so old. so check that too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom