SOLD 1985 FJ60 in Northern VA / DC Area - SOLD! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blue 1985 (09/1985) FJ60 with 163,020 miles as of 2/2/2019. (Sadly this isn’t the truck from the cover of the Jan/Feb 2019 Toyota Trails magazine) I am still driving it so the ODO will slowly tick up. I purchased this stock 60 in 2014 with 151K on it in SoCal. I moved to Norther VA mid-2015 and have slowly picked away things over the years. I drive a few cars but certainly consider this a daily driver. I routinely will take it to DC/Richmond from my house in a NoVA and it hums along at 65mph without issue if I-95 allows. 4H/4L work as they should.

This has been a great truck but I’m moving later this year and am looking to shrink the size of my vehicle fleet. I also am contemplating dipping my toes in the 80/450 universe. The truck has its fair share of blemishes but it still has years left if you don’t touch a thing on it. If you are a craftsman and a LC-whisperer, I’m sure you could drop in an H55 and do some real magic with this thing… I still have a list of to-dos for the vehicle but am constrained by time and the desire to fix things correctly. I have spent the last 4 years working at a job with a heavy travel schedule. I try not to fix what isn’t broken and slowly pick things to address as I have the time to finish them completely.

Good:
+OME Deluxe Medium kit. Shocks, leaf springs (Light/Med Front (CS003F) and Medium Rear (CS004R)), Nitro Sport Shocks, greaseable anti-inversion shackles, new hardware, and steering dampener.
+Man-A-Fre HD High Angle Links (SB190LINKKIT)
+Knuckle job with Marlin inner seals, replaced knuckle bearings
+Fourrunner's custom bumper. Dual swing arm with a tire and 2 x jerry can mounts
+New tires/wheels at 157,758 (6/2016). 5 x General Grabber AT2 LT285/75R16 on Vision 84 D 16x8 wheels. Essentially 33” tires that are LTs and have almost twice the load rating and sidewall strength as normal float/p sizes. Have not driven on the 5th tire. 5000 miles on the 4 and they have a 60,000 mile tread life.
+Heater and rear passenger heater blow hot.
+No seat tear.
+Headliner is in good shape.
+Original Toyota jack/toolkit still sitting under the seat!
+SOR floor mats.
+Nasty cargo area carpet removed and 1/8” ABS plastic installed.

Bad:
-No AC (unless its winter). Compressor is disconnected from belt; not sure if it works. No evaporator. Electronics appear to work but never around got to this project.
-Dash finally developed the 60 crack two years ago.
-The obvious body rust/bondo stuff. PO was obviously not an artisan. I have not attempted to tackle any of the body stuff.
-Front windows are stiff when rolling up and down.
-Other minor blemishes and imperfections. A drip here, some corrosion here, some dry rot there. Again, not a showroom car but it won’t cost you $22K like a showroom 60 will!

Runs on:
Oil: Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic
Oil filter: FRAM HM8A Filter or WIX 51773
Gear Oil: Lucasoil 80W-90 gear oil
Brake Fluid: Prestone Synthetic DOT 3 Brake
Power Steering Fluid: Valvoline ATF Dexron - VI Full Synthetic
Clutch: Prestone Synthetic DOT 3 Brake
Bearing Grease: Valvoline VV986 SynPower Moly Grease

Since I bought it in 2014 I have:
+Flushed T-case, transmission, F/R diff, Power steering, brakes
+Knuckle job at 156,654 (1/2016) with Marlin seals.
+Replaced rear lift gate struts (if you’ve never owned a 60 you will never know how awesome it is to NOT get bonked in the head by a droopy FJ60 rear lift gate)
+Replaced alternator and fan belts, air filter
+Replaced Front Sway Bar Bushings and Links
+Replaced front rotors, calipers, pads
+Replaced master and slave clutch
+Replaced distributor, spark plugs, alternator (55 amp), radiator, fan clutch, fuel pump
+Jan 2019: new battery (Duralast Gold 27-DLG)

I have a handful if 60 parts that I acquired over the years but did not need (starter, ignitor, some belts, and maybe a few other odds and ends) that will be yours.

Clean Title. Registered in MN. Located in Stafford, VA.

Price: $7,500

Last edited:
Pics:
01.jpg

02.JPG

03.JPG

06.JPG

05.JPG

Lastly, under her legs:
28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

I've had a few inquiries about the cancer status...

From the rear suspension mount and back are the roughest spots on the frame; rear cross member was decorative in nature when I got the truck so it was deleted when the bumper when in. The 1/4" steel bumper is loads stronger than the cross member was. There are a handful of pock marks on the body as well (near some of the window seals, the passenger side engine vent, bottoms of some of the doors, etc.).

It looks like one of the POs coated the frame with something. The white splotches are obviously not rust. Is the frame falling apart? No. Is this frame the ideal donor frame for a major frame off resto? Probably not but that is way outside my area of expertise. I can post a couple additional pictures later today/tomorrow of the rear part of the c-channel but again... you are talking about the rust on this truck, at this price-point. You did not find a unicorn in an abandoned barn that should be priced at $30K but isn't.

UGA... I'm impressed / jealous of your rig and build by the way. Way out of my league. I would have loved to had the time to desmog this thing and replace every last inch of vacuum line. If you have a particular trouble spot you want to see, let me know.

I'll try and get a few extra pics up before the game!

Passenger rear:
33.JPG

Driver rear:
34.JPG

Driver front:
35.JPG

Passenger front:
36.JPG

As you can see (and is often the case with these), the frame is rusty behind the aft shackle and relatively fine everywhere forward of that.

Worst spots on the body...

Passenger side:
37.JPG

Bottom of passenger door:
38.JPG

Passenger rear door/wheel:
39.JPG

Passenger side, cargo window:
40.JPG

I've had a few inquiries about the cancer status...

From the rear suspension mount and back are the roughest spots on the frame; rear cross member was decorative in nature when I got the truck so it was deleted when the bumper when in. The 1/4" steel bumper is loads stronger than the cross member was. There are a handful of pock marks on the body as well (near some of the window seals, the passenger side engine vent, bottoms of some of the doors, etc.).

It looks like one of the POs coated the frame with something. The white splotches are obviously not rust. Is the frame falling apart? No. Is this frame the ideal donor frame for a major frame off resto? Probably not but that is way outside my area of expertise. I can post a couple additional pictures later today/tomorrow of the rear part of the c-channel but again... you are talking about the rust on this truck, at this price-point. You did not find a unicorn in an abandoned barn that should be priced at $30K but isn't.

UGA... I'm impressed / jealous of your rig and build by the way. Way out of my league. I would have loved to had the time to desmog this thing and replace every last inch of vacuum line. If you have a particular trouble spot you want to see, let me know.

I'll try and get a few extra pics up before the game!
Thanks brother! I’ve jumped in to the deep end big time. It’s been fun!

Would make a nice wheeler or budget cruiser! Thanks for posting such detailed pics of the rust...it's appreciated!

You bet man; thanks for the feedback. Trying to enable an informed purchase.

Last edited:
Ha. Nope. I wish! I’d have all the room in the world for a few 60s if that was the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom