Builds 1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What kind of performance gains any any hp increases? Looks like you can keep the factory dizzy but what about all the crazy vacuum lines? Can you remove all of those too. As I have been fighting vacuum leaks.

What kind of performance gains any any hp increases? Looks like you can keep the factory dizzy but what about all the crazy vacuum lines? Can you remove all of those too. As I have been fighting vacuum leaks.

Yes. All but one vacuum line will be removed.

There is a Haggardy YouTube video where they did a HP comparison. Yes. It was an improvement. It will be much more noticeable with a vehicle that is also getting a de smog at the same time. You will 100% notice

So, first step of operation 5 speed/Harrop E-locker started this weekend. I loaded up and headed south to see the Marine @USMC22 for an extra hand. We built out the bj full float axle with some new parts and a few reused a few, but over all it looks pretty good! The only thing that didn't line up perfect is the hard line brake line, but was pretty close. @orangefj45 supplied the axle and Harrop elocker setup on some 4.11s. Something about a 60 with hubs in the back I like!!!

I used an old 4 runner RR Rear dif Switch to activate. It fits perfect and looks much better than any rocker switch that you can buy. Dont see that in many 60's!!!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

4.jpg

Picked up a split case to rebuild as well while south and its on the table ready! Going to get this rebuilt and married to the 5 speed so I can have it ready to go when it comes time to install. Had to add a little badge to the back too.

5.jpg

3.jpg

Quick Question for everybody, as I am looking into installing a Sniper. I would like to use a PowerSurge for my fuel system, I have a few buddies who have it on their hot rods and nothing but good reviews have come out of it. Once I disconnect the return for the mechanical fuel pump, can I plumb the PowerSurge return back into the return hardline back to the tank?

Quick Question for everybody, as I am looking into installing a Sniper. I would like to use a PowerSurge for my fuel system, I have a few buddies who have it on their hot rods and nothing but good reviews have come out of it. Once I disconnect the return for the mechanical fuel pump, can I plumb the PowerSurge return back into the return hardline back to the tank?

Yep. Turn your phone sideways and my signature will pop up. Ole Blue 60 and Warthog 4.4 both have the powersurge. I LOVE it.

There is really no money to discount once it goes from Holley to a Distributor then to a Point sale like Mosley. Holley won’t undersell them which is nice. They don’t make but $100 or so. Just jump. It’s worth it.

Just jump. It’s worth it.
I have one in my 60... I'm thinking about going for it with my 2F FJ40.... I did the 60 piecemeal, never again. Cam for sure if I do it again (unless I stumble on some sale to beat all sales (not likely)

Powersurge seems to be the best option. I'm not thrilled about the noise from the high pressure pump in the tank. Oh well.

My powersurge can only be heard priming before the engine fires and then never again.

That said, in most 40’s that are loud anyway in line and in tank sound about the same when running.

Also, the stock tanks have some noise insulation on the mounting straps. The LR tanks being direct bolt in, transfer the noise right into the cabin. I'm gonna apply judicious amounts of sound deadener.

Dove in head first this week and ripped the tcase apart! Have a few things to press out still ,but got several things in the parts washer for a cleaning. Ripped out my drive shafts to have them rebuild as well. No point in have new axles, new trans, tcase and old crusty drive shafts. Tearing apart the front axle this weekend to rebuild knuckles, install this lovely third, and a new set of RCVs.

@maxbob002 did some beautiful work and rebuild my front third with an OEM LSD on some 4.1 to match the rear.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

There is really no money to discount once it goes from Holley to a Distributor then to a Point sale like Mosley. Holley won’t undersell them which is nice. They don’t make but $100 or so. Just jump. It’s worth it.
Get the Mosley full Premium kit, best upgrade I have ever done! Everything you need in one box after you de-smog.

You can remove all the vacuum lines and all the smog equipment (going on assumption that your location allows this because it apparently allows the sniper mod).

You won't see massive hp/torque gains but you will see an improvement as well as better starting at all temperatures (hot and cold). Better driveability etc. Basically the Carb is like your cousin who goes to the special school for the gifted. It gets the job done but its really rudimentary in its ability to adapt and adjust for the outside world. The Sniper is much better equipped to handle the world we live in and it can adjust to the outside world rapidly and constantly.

Well gents, my time has come. @FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors is a pretty awesome dude, answers his phone faster than I can find mine, and in less time than I had imagined got me all the bits for his Sniper kit. Tomorrow morning I begin my install! The last week of ER shifts have been especially stressful and draining, so quality wrenching time shall be a very much needed therapy session. Thank you @Dustin Messina and @wngrog for answering my questions before I got up the guts to order everything!

20200626_205734.jpg

Well gents, my time has come. @FJ60Cam at Mosley Motors is a pretty awesome dude, answers his phone faster than I can find mine, and in less time than I had imagined got me all the bits for his Sniper kit. Tomorrow morning I begin my install! The last week of ER shifts have been especially stressful and draining, so quality wrenching time shall be a very much needed therapy session. Thank you @Dustin Messina and @wngrog for answering my questions before I got up the guts to order everything!

View attachment 2353196
Awesome man! You’ll be rolling in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom