Builds 1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With all due respect to Dustin.....I wouldn't have my Sniper if not for his (and other's) pioneering, I see this thread as primarily (see title of thread) a Sniper install thread that has simply been embellished with highlights from Dustin's ongoing build.:)
Exactly the same. I'm trying to be respectful to his build thread, that is all. I had a ton of questions for him, and a few others who have done it. Although I had the luxury of bothering him (and the others!) by phone.🤣

So a quick recap: I had the Corvette filter/regulator plumbed with the feed and return reversed. THANK YOU to Mike ( s0me0ldt0ys ) for asking the right questions in a phone consult today. The centered pipe on the input/return side is the return and the offset pipe is the feed... go figure.

So the truck runs!

Side note: if you are using the Corvette style filter/regulator you still need to use a -6an CAP on the return port on the Sniper, the rubber cap supplied on the Sniper will not suffice... please don't ask me how I know.

Now I just need to sort out the few vac lines I have left over from my JimC desmogged arrangement, tidy up and secure the wires and fuel lines and run through any additional Holley programming stuff.

THANK YOU to all that have put up with my nonsense thus far... I hope there will not be too many more questions before the finish line.
THANK YOU to Dustin for helping me spend all of my cruiser-fund... I think I'm going to like this!

I’m out on this one. Never installed an AFI. Maybe @FJ60Cam has some idea???
After reading this thread, I've changed my mind, and I'm getting the sniper kit. If my 60 hasn't been desmogged, what do i do with the vacuum hoses? Also, if I buy the master kit and an intake adapter plate is that all I need to get it going, or are things like the peddle required? I just want to get it going in the simplest way possible and upgrade as I go along.

So a quick recap: I had the Corvette filter/regulator plumbed with the feed and return reversed. THANK YOU to Mike ( s0me0ldt0ys ) for asking the right questions in a phone consult today. The centered pipe on the input/return side is the return and the offset pipe is the feed... go figure.

So the truck runs!

Side note: if you are using the Corvette style filter/regulator you still need to use a -6an CAP on the return port on the Sniper, the rubber cap supplied on the Sniper will not suffice... please don't ask me how I know.

Now I just need to sort out the few vac lines I have left over from my JimC desmogged arrangement, tidy up and secure the wires and fuel lines and run through any additional Holley programming stuff.

THANK YOU to all that have put up with my nonsense thus far... I hope there will not be too many more questions before the finish line.
THANK YOU to Dustin for helping me spend all of my cruiser-fund... I think I'm going to like this!

Just wait till you get some miles on it... you will love it even more!!!

After reading this thread, I've changed my mind, and I'm getting the sniper kit. If my 60 hasn't been desmogged, what do i do with the vacuum hoses? Also, if I buy the master kit and an intake adapter plate is that all I need to get it going, or are things like the peddle required? I just want to get it going in the simplest way possible and upgrade as I go along.

You may be the first to tackle this without a desmog. My complete knowledge of the smog setup is how to pull all of it out and throw it to the side. I am sure it can be done, but will need to have some planning put in. Wish I could be more help here, but no experience in making that system work. I know we can help you with the component piece of it.

@HemiAlex Here it is!

I don’t know if I’m ready to see those prices. I saw what they charged for a bearing kit for the previous owner of this bumper.

I don’t know if I’m ready to see those prices. I saw what they charged for a bearing kit for the previous owner of this bumper.

I had the single can quoted to me and it was $300 just for the single can holder.....

Ouch. I’ll likely just mount my own with the existing arm.

Not a bad idea! Having that 4x4labs piece made it easy for me. Depending on the diameter of your existing arm you might be able to make it work as well. Just an idea.

Not a bad idea! Having that 4x4labs piece made it easy for me. Depending on the diameter of your existing arm you might be able to make it work as well. Just an idea.

I could very easily grind off my existing single carrier and make another one work. It’s a shame to cut what I’ve got, but it’s all far from pristine.

You need to a Proper desmog. You won’t need 90% of that stuff

Not sure if this has been covered...but I'll try to be quick:

Catalytic converters need exhaust gases to cycle back and forth from rich to lean in order to activate the different processes that go on in the cat (Oxidation and Reduction). Carburators can only spray a linear amount of fuel based on throttle position....so....thats why you have an air pump and a myriad of vacuum lines. Toyota tried to create a very mechanical system to optimize the catalyst processes. EGR is used even on many modern day vehicles as a way to try to reburn the exhaust.

So EFI reads an oxygen sensor and if it sees the exhaust getting lean then it adjusts the duty cycle on the injector (s) and adds more fuel. if it sees the exhaust going rich it reduces the amount of fuel.....it cycles like this constantly....and thus eliminates the need for the air pump. You could still run the EGR if you were so inclined.

So moral of story is that leaving all the smog equipment in the engine bay is just there to take up space. I'd go ahead and do the full desmog....its not so hard to do and just keep all the parts in a crate should you ever want to go back to a carb.

Not sure if this has been covered...but I'll try to be quick:

Catalytic converters need exhaust gases to cycle back and forth from rich to lean in order to activate the different processes that go on in the cat (Oxidation and Reduction). Carburators can only spray a linear amount of fuel based on throttle position....so....thats why you have an air pump and a myriad of vacuum lines. Toyota tried to create a very mechanical system to optimize the catalyst processes. EGR is used even on many modern day vehicles as a way to try to reburn the exhaust.

So EFI reads an oxygen sensor and if it sees the exhaust getting lean then it adjusts the duty cycle on the injector (s) and adds more fuel. if it sees the exhaust going rich it reduces the amount of fuel.....it cycles like this constantly....and thus eliminates the need for the air pump. You could still run the EGR if you were so inclined.

So moral of story is that leaving all the smog equipment in the engine bay is just there to take up space. I'd go ahead and do the full desmog....its not so hard to do and just keep all the parts in a crate should you ever want to go back to a carb.

the big question I bet for him after seeing his location is will it pass the inspection in the state of California....

the big question I bet for him after seeing his location is will it pass the inspection in the state of California....

A legitimate concern. Its technically illegal to alter any emissions equipment in the vehicle. I actually tried to ask the EPA if there was a recert process for updating an old engine....but they just sent me a blanket document saying it was illegal to modify. But if you put a modern fuel delivery system on which in turn produces a cleaner exhaust....I would think this would be a win win situation and there should be a way to get it approved. But logic and bureaucracy rarely hold hands while walking across the street.

Fuel pump block off plate is leaking, what could I be doing wrong? I used the gasket that came with it and I'm using oil resistant RTV on both sides of the gasket. I'm using shorter bolts because the block off plate is thinner than the fuel pump flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom