Builds 1985 FJ60 Gets a Holley Sniper EFI Setup (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dustin Messina

SILVER Star
Threads
This is my first build thread so give me a break on how bad this is going to be...

Most people don't want to read so...Yes, the Holley 2300 2bbl Sniper is awesome (200 plus miles on setup), yes it works on a 2f, yes its a straight forward install, yes I am running stock dizzy and figured out how to get the factory air cleaner to work, it has a kick ass LCD screen that you can tune it how you want or use learn mode...keep reading if you need more details.

I picked this rig up because it is one of the cleanest 60's I've seen. 2 owner truck out of cali with 133k on the clock with zero rust. When I picked it up it had a desmogged City Racer Carb on a fully smoked truck. It just didn't work right. So, I decided right away on a complete desmog. I assembled the parts and started on a desmogged. As I was waiting on parts I am looking at EFI 60s at our local club meetings (all running the AFI setup) and my father is hammering me about throwing a Holley Sniper on it because he hates carbs, but he is an old school Chevy guy. I got my deems turn took one drive around the block on the carb and almost instantly decided on an EFI setup.

So, i start researching AFI, Holley Sniper, and other EFI setups. It looked like only 1 mudder threw a Holley Sniper on a 2f in the 40 section and seemed to be having great result. Shot him a message and he had great things to say. After the research I found AFI is a great setup, but starts to add up when you get Distributor and then it is an old chevy ECU that is flashed for the 2f. It also has an ecu that has to be ran a lot with a good bit of wiring to get all sensors and everything hooked up. The sniper on the other hand has everything built into the TBI, along with the MAP, Fuel reg, and TPC. Basically everything is housed in the EFI unit, minus the o2 sensor and the temp sensor. Pretty simple wiring too--- positive to battery, ground to battery, switched 12 volt, fuel pump wire, and then tach wire. Then you also have the LCD control module wire coming out of the back it. My mind was made up Holley EFI here I come.

Parts List:

1) Holley Sniper 2300 EFI Kit (Do not buy the kit with fuel lines and pump etc. I did--- Save your money and piece a fuel it together. The fuel lines and fittings are 3/8s with 8AN fittings and everything on the 60 requires 5/16 fuel line with 6AN fittings)

Holley Sniper EFI 550-849 Holley Sniper EFI 2300 Self-Tuning Kit - Shiny Finish

2) Downey Holley 2300 Carb adapter Plate, I also got his throttle cable kit but didn't use it.

3) Header, I believe I order a JT outfitters, but their website is down.

Performance Exhaust Header Toyota Land Cruiser 1f 2f Fj40 45 Fj55 Fj60 Manifold | eBay

4) Manafree 2f Fuel Pump Block off plate

F/2F Fuel Pump Block Off Plate with Gasket (SKU: FPBLKOFFPLT) - Man-A-Fre

5) Remflex Gaskets

TOYOTA Header/Exhaust Manifold Gasket

6) 20ft of 5/16 fuel line Earl Vapor guard, with four 45 degree 6AN Earl EFI fuel fittings in black, and hose clamps for fuel lines

Earls 750055ERL Vapor Guard EFI 5/16 Inch Hose

Earl's Performance Vapor Guard Hose Ends 754166ERL

7) 30/40 Amp Water proof relay for my switched 12 volt off my coil. (Holley states do not do this. I called and they stated with a really it is okay) I also used a fuseable link close to battery here.

8) Intank Fuel Pump with rubber gasket that @FJ60Cam talked me into, but I am glad he did!! Need LS pump because Sniper runs a higher pressure vs AFI. Get aviation gasket sealer or permitted Fuel gasket sealer.

GPA Series In Tank Fuel Pump Module

9) Manafre EGR block off plate

EGR Block Off Plate Kit (08/80 - 1987 Toyota 2F Engines) - Man-A-Fre

10) About 10 ft of new vacuum hoses-- your choice

11) Mr. Gasket air cleaner adapter kit
Mr. Gasket Air Cleaner Spacers 6411G

12) Tanksinc accessory door to get to fuel pump

4-3/4" x 8-1/2" Floor Access Door

13) all the assorted zip ties,
extension wire, wiring loom, vacuum caps, and water proof solder connections you can handle. Amazon delivered most of this.

14) AC Delco Charcoal Canister replacement

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-215-55-Original-Equipment-Canister/dp/B000C9EMXK

15) Earl's Vapor Guard EFI Fuel Filter
Earls 731166ERL Earl's Vapor Guard Fuel Filter

There will be more to come on every detail of the build along with Plenty of pictures. Stay tuned.

Interested how this compares to a TBI setup. Was your canister shot? I've got the desmog and headers completed so half the battle is done already. Looking forward to the writeup!

Subscribed. Thinking about this conversion for my 40.

No
Interested how this compares to a TBI setup. Was your canister shot? I've got the desmog and headers completed so half the battle is done already. Looking forward to the writeup!
it was not, but I had a couple buddies run the GM canister. You get to clean up the engine bay a good bit and lose a lot of hoses etc with the GM canister.

Subscribed. Thinking about this conversion for my 40.
I have been daily driving this thing with the Sniper for a week now. If you have any questions let me know!

I have few questions right now.
What did you use for the adapter on the intake manifold?
What did you use for a throttle cable and did you need to do any fab work on the gas pedal or linkage.
Also on the Carb side, the 60 does not use an actual throttle cable but shaft and linkage so did you cover this?
Lastly did you have a hand throttle on your 60? were you able to reuse this anywhere?

I have few questions right now.
What did you use for the adapter on the intake manifold?
What did you use for a throttle cable and did you need to do any fab work on the gas pedal or linkage.
Also on the Carb side, the 60 does not use an actual throttle cable but shaft and linkage so did you cover this?
Lastly did you have a hand throttle on your 60? were you able to reuse this anywhere?

I used the Downey Holley 2300 adapter from @Downey and it worked great! I also picked up the throttle cable kit from Downey, but ended up not using it. I have seen several people use the lokar setup as well. I do not have a hand throttle and most guys actually use the hand throttle tab on the top of the gas pedal to run the efi unit. You drill a hole through firewall for cable and run it to the tab on the gas pedal for the hand throttle. You remove all factory linkage for cab under the hood and there is no need to modify your gas pedal. I actually made a 10 3/4" bar and utilized the ball socket off of the factory linkage to connect to gas pedal just like the factory linkage. Then ran it directly to the throttle blades on the Sniper. It is working great and very simple. I connected the rod to the Sniper using a ball socket setup from ACE hardware.

This is the linkage i put together and it is simple and easy.

F5D0A3F4-772F-434A-A56F-7ADCB696E28B.jpeg

Very cool, just what the carbed OEM motors need. I believe they are self learning as well. Modern EFI in a complete package, this will keep a good many 60s running I am sure!

Very cool, just what the carbed OEM motors need. I believe they are self learning as well. Modern EFI in a complete package, this will keep a good many 60s running I am sure!
They are self learning. You can also customer tune if you want. That is one big reasonI chose the sniper!

Great job documenting all of the work Dustin. Thanks! Glad it went well!
Thanks man! I have more to come, ha! Thanks for all the feedback and help! You still liking yours?

Just dropping some photos of the rig.

12337A9D-9CD1-4B41-9C3A-9537581887D0.jpeg

B474D869-9174-41BB-9B3E-B8585D0FA97E.jpeg

29DA626E-B62D-497B-94F3-2162814898D5.jpeg

987742CF-5A8E-472D-B378-DBE3C3C21E5C.jpeg

More

383D2FA3-9201-44EF-A3B9-611968B1296C.jpeg

BF21577D-A5C3-4485-9DAB-8CCC9E9BF8CD.jpeg

BAAAEA54-B57C-4265-B08D-7AA3AD029246.jpeg

F3E60C78-70E6-41BC-AAC9-7433F8989E56.jpeg

1BE97D4C-C541-4B47-8B58-82F69678A142.jpeg

Nice looking truck. Good color.

Did you run rubber the entire way from the tank to the tbi?

Thanks! No I did not. I utilized the factory hard lines. So rubber from pump to the start of the hard lines over the rear axle and then used ribber under the hood coming off of the hard lines. To the tbi.

I’m also sold on it after your post. My 60 runs great 95% of the time, but the occasional hiccup and need for emissions testing here are reason enough for me. It’ll also be nice to clean up the vacuum lines and travel to elevation without much worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom