1985 FJ60 failed California smog due to high NOx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@OSS I've found a thread from 2006 by someone with a broken BSVS asking for advice and you told them they can delete the broken BSVS by looping the two vacuum lines that go to it so the metal lines are connected to each other. Is this a viable fix? If I do this on the lower pink BSVS it just means I'll have to let the truck warm up and remember to push the choke knob back in when I hit the road? Would be nice to not have to buy a new BSVS and I can't imagine the smog guys gonna notice those lines down there.

Red Circle: A Check valve. A small one.

Also: (realize the manual choke cable over-rides this)

1668742359633.png

The part circled in red is a restriction orifice.

The choke opener opens a closed choke plate after the engine warms up.

The upper BVSV controls vacuum to the distributor advance. That one you would want to loop the vacuum lines together if the BVSV is broken. Not this one.

Last edited:
If I do this on the lower pink BSVS it just means I'll have to let the truck warm up and

Actually—-
If the two vacuum hoses are connected together, mimicking an open BVSV, the choke will no longer work because the choke opener will get immediately pulled when the engine cranks.
That’s no good.

To bypass the choke opener so you still have a functioning choke, just plug the vacuum hose that connects to the pipe that leads back to the intake manifold fitting (Toyota calls ‘gas filter’).
Doing that will stop your constant vacuum leak and provide you with a functional choke—.. but remember…. Don’t ever pull the choke knob when the engine is warm.

Super important to remember that - otherwise you’ll either flood it or make it run way too rich if it runs at all.
That’s what the Choke Opener system was designed to prevent.

8EB318D9-65B3-473E-99AC-E8441E9767ED.jpeg

Found a nasty exhaust leak on the EGR J-tube. I wonder if that would be increasing my NOx numbers? I ordered a new gasket although from what Ive read on this forum they often just blow out again. Hopefully this new one will hang on long enough for the smog test. I also started doing some of the emission control manual tests. EGR valve does kill the engine when I apply vacuum while idling so that seems good. I need to do more testing on the vacuum modulator and VSV. I checked engine vacuum with a gauge after replacing all the vacuum lines and it held steady at 18hg (I'm at about 3500ft elevation). I need to check my timing as I read if the timing is advanced that will increase my NOx numbers. I also noticed one of the hoses from the air pump was too long and was kinked badly. I shortened it so air can flow through it now. Is there anything else I should be focusing on?

IMG_8563.JPG

Oh and another thing I just thought of, If my NOx numbers passed on the 15mph test but failed the 25mph test does that still mean I should be looking at the EGR? Isn't the 15mph test considered "idle" and if so I thought the EGR wasn't active during idle.

15 mph on the rollers is easy. The engine is loafing & sipping gas. Its not idling.
25mph on the rollers they usually lug the transmission in too high of a gear and step on the gas to compensate- which creates a rich burn.

Its a lot easier to pass a smog test on rollers running the stock tiny 225/75R15 tires than it is to be tested with 31” and taller tires - if the engine is borderline.
The smaller tires allow for much lower gearing and the engine doesn’t have to push as hard.

15 mph on the rollers is easy. The engine is loafing & sipping gas. Its not idling.
25mph on the rollers they usually lug the transmission in too high of a gear and step on the gas to compensate- which creates a rich burn.

Its a lot easier to pass a smog test on rollers running the stock tiny 225/75R15 tires than it is to be tested with 31” and taller tires - if the engine is borderline.
The smaller tires allow for much lower gearing and the engine doesn’t have to push as hard.
Oops I misspoke in my last post, I meant it failed at 15mph and passed at 25mph. That’s what confused me as I wouldn’t think the EGR would be active during the 15mph test. Is failing at 15mph and passing at 25mph indicative of anything specific? All other numbers are really low, NOx is a little too high.

EGR valve starts opening when you push on the gas pedal. Valve closes at idle.
Maybe they we’re lugging it at 15 mph. Betcha they did. 15mph is an awkward speed for the cruiser.

EGR valve starts opening when you push on the gas pedal. Valve closes at idle.
Maybe they we’re lugging it at 15 mph. Betcha they did. 15mph is an awkward speed for the cruiser.
I agree, the cruiser does feel a little clunky/awkward at a slow roll.

When you pull that J-pipe out, make sure that the area that connects to the manifold is flat and welded properly against the tube. Yours looks very warped. You can get a stainless J-Pipe tube from SOR that is a good replacement and should eliminate problems if yours is trashed.

Hi, Also those tubes can get clogged up, make sure it’s clear and has no cracks.

I had a 1987 60 for a couple decades in CA. My suggestion is to go individual hose by hose in the emissions manual making 100% sure each is hooked up correctly. Trust the manual, not some photo seem elsewhere. Even smart mechanics get these hoses wrong. Get them all correct.

I marked each hose and its home at each end with different color paint dots to keep track in both the short and long term. This helps.

Replace any bad hoses or missing/broken parts.

Then … I suggest you go through the emissions manual and test each system. Mark your readings directly in the paper manual. Take your time. The manual is good.

Your vacuum tester may find a couple failed parts. Replace those.

It is worth it to learn the emissions systems if you own a 60. Most everything else is simple. Become the rare expert on the emissions systems of this motor, as most techs will be at a loss.

You will then likely pass and she will run cleaner. If you hotrod it later, do it from a perspective of understanding the various systems. Keep your resale value alive.

Reactions: OSS
Alright guys I'm reviving my thread here again now that I'm almost done going through the truck getting it ready for smog. I rebuilt the carburetor, truck runs amazing now (secondary diaphragm was toast causing it to stumble/fall on its face under load), replaced all the vacuum hoses, repaired the two BSVS valves that each had a broken nipple (drilled a hole into the broken port and used JB weld to adhere a vacuum hose connector), got the EGR system working properly, new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter, fixed all the exhaust leaks, adjusted the valves, did the oil galley plug fix while I was at it, changed the oil and a bunch of other unrelated fixes. Still need to check and set timing, Not sure if I'll set it at 7* or retard it a tad to help with the test results.

Now I have to admit that I foolishly glossed over much of the emissions FSM and mainly focused on the EGR system since my smog results pointed towards that system specifically but I started wondering about the Air injection system and immediately as I started inspecting the system I realized the large hose that connects the long metal line from the ABV to the cat wasn't even secured to the check valve on the cat side of the line. In fact the check valve seems to have roasted itself to death and the end that the hose clamps to was rusted right off and stuck inside the rubber hose. The rubber hose was just resting on the valve and appeared to be connected but not secured to the pipe at all. It's looking like I need to go through that system next. I need to replace the check valve (anyone know what that part is called?) and the hose to it which I can bring to an auto parts store and just find a matching one. That hose was roasted in a way I've never seen an old hose roasted, I'm guessing maybe the check valve broke and was letting hot exhaust back towards the ABV? My smog results showed 2.4%O2 which would have made me think the air injection was working but is it possible the air getting into the system was actually just from all my exhaust leaks? I posted the smog results earlier in this thread if anyones interested.

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

Nevermind, I just got up to date with the whole check valve NLA status and ordered the standard motor product AV8 with the smaller nipple for $12 to my door. I'll probably just do as others have done and wrap the nipple with some high temp silicone tape to increase the diameter before clamping the hose down. About to go to the parts store to pick up a few feet of that hose now. Considering bypassing the system as discussed HERE just to better my chances of passing smog this time.

I need to replace the check valve (anyone know what that part is called?)

An aftermarket version of that check valve is available. I used one. It’s the same size/dimensions as the original and works well. See link below-

An aftermarket version of that check valve is available. I used one. It’s the same size/dimensions as the original and works well. See link below-

Do you happen to know if the check valve for the air injection rail is the same exact part as the check valve to the exhaust pipe? @mattressking stated on this thread the threads on the Standard Motor Products AV8 check valve were an exact match but today I took my original broken check valve off and when I went to put the AV8 check valve on its too big. It slides right over the threads on the pipe leading to my exhaust pipe. Wondering if the air rail check valve and exhaust check valves are different sizes or maybe I was lead astray by the post about AV8 being a match.

Should be the exact same valve. M24 x 2.0 pitch

1551568871272-png.1917855

Should be the exact same valve. M24 x 2.0 pitch

1551568871272-png.1917855

Thanks, so I wonder if AV8 ins't actually a match after all or if I was sent the wrong part. Oh well, started the return already. I was really hoping to avoid paying $55 for this little part if I could get away with buying a similar valve with the same threads for $12.

The AV8 should have the same thread. If the thread on the down-pipe to the exhaust is different, something has been changed. Pix of what you're working with would help.

To answer your PM: I don't have any of them left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom