1985 FJ60 Denso AC Compressor Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the last 3 years I have purchased 3 aftermarket ac compressors for my 1985 FJ60 and all have blown seals within weeks of installation.

I just purchased a DENSO AC Compressor #471-0204 to replace other aftermarket junk! I hope....Does anyone know the exact type of pag oil needed and R134 pressures recommended?

Are you running R134a in in compressors intended for R12?!

The oil I got from Coolstream when I recently converted to R134A was:
Masterchem Ultra PAG 46
Premium double end capped PAG oil
Viscosity ISO 46
Their part # MT0304-1

I used that Denso Reman in mine 6 years ago when I did the engine rebuild (and switched to R134a at the same time) and it has been running great ever since.

Sorry, don't have the info you need 'cuz I just installed the parts then took it to a AC shop for flushing, evacuation and refrigerant.

When compressor is on, clutch engaged: 15-30 psi on the low side, 190-215 on the high side. Static pressure, clutch disengaged: pressures should equalize and be close to ambient temp. If it's 75 degrees outside, pressure should be 70-80. The best way to add refrigerant is by weight, look up the spec and go by that. You can add refrigerant and go off the pressures but weight is more accurate.

Since the Denso comes with ND6 oil (mineral) be sure to drain that out before adding ND8 which is PAG 46. The pressures that Klip has above are correct. The Denso compressor seals are compatible with R134a, however, their receiver/drier is not, you'll need to use an aftermarket drier.

There aren't any issues that haven't been diagnosed that are causing the other compressors to fail are there? Is the charge amount correct for R134a, since you would typically use 75-80% of the R12 amount? High head pressure due to overcharge, a partially plugged condenser or a weak fan clutch could cause a compressor to fail. Just things to check.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom