1985 FJ60 Air Cleaner / Weber Carb Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Howdy everyone,
I have a 1985 60 Series Wagon with the 2F Straight Six Petrol engine in it. Lately, I have replaced the Carburetor with a Weber 38 with Electric Choke. The kit came with a carb, spacer for the OEM intake manifold, an adapter for the 2F's stock air cleaner, etc. Problem is, the stock air cleaner is about an inch away from the top of the adapter, and they don't line up. I am a moderately experienced DIY'er on cars, and I'm pretty stumped. Comments, tips, suggestions... Anything is appreciated. I have attached a couple of pictures to better describe my situation.

Thanks,
Miguel

IMG_4164.jpg

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

Every picture of a 2F with a Weber carburetor I've seen has the stock air cleaner removed and a small air cleaner attached to the top of the carb.

Now that you've got the original carburetor off, get it rebuilt by an experienced pro and put it back on the engine. Once it's rebuilt, (correctly) it's a much better solution than running that Weber.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks. I would run the small air cleaner but the stock OEM air cleaner has lots of vacuum lines running to it. Not sure what to do with those. Second, whats so bad about the weber? I think its a great carb...

Last edited:
Thanks. I would run the small air cleaner but the stock OEM air cleaner has lots of vacuum lines running to it. Not sure what to do with those. Second, whats so bad about the weber? I think its a great carb...

I’m not sure you can run the Weber without desmogging the engine.

The stock Aisan carb is a superior and designed specifically for the 2F; It's a rather complex carb, though, and a lot of people just give up on it rather than trying to fix what's wrong ... Weber needs baffling to run hills and does not have an Idle Control Solenoid so when you start dieseling at engine shut off, now you'll know why ... Lots of postings on this.

Lot of people will have diff opinions on this and run weber with no problem and like them. To each their own. There are good Japanese-made Aisan clones available now and I thought most were turning to those as they are a direct bolt-on replacement for the stock FJ60 carb. Non-smog only. I'm in Kalif so i have to keep stock if I want to legally reg the truck, and I do.

Since you're running the Weber, I presume you do not need to pass smog inspections. Find the threads on de-smog to know what Vac lines to plug if you want to get the small Air Cleaner.

Second, whats so bad about the weber? I think its a great carb...

You'll learn.

Not sure what parts combination it to get here but you can adapt the weber to the oe air cleaner.

20171203_081513.jpg

UPDATE:

Howdy Folks!
2 months later, finally have a fix. I bought a foot of rubber heat-rated boat exhaust hose (as I said, Coastal NC) and I cut it down to the right length and angle. Perfect fit. No whistling or anything. Still haven't desmogged. The engine replacement is a project for next winter. Thinking something unique. Any suggestions? I want something like a 2UZ-FE or an Ecoboost :). Not sure yet.

There is an issue with some Webbers lately is that they leak fuel from the float bowl. If the truck sets for couple days, you have to crank it until you get fuel back. The drawback that gets me is the fuel spills out of the float bowl on steep climbs and in rough/off camber situations flooding your engine. Are you experiencing any of these problems?

I haven't taken it off road yet. I live in a coastal town, so the only place to take it off road is the beach. The beach, of course, is flat. So no steep inclines for me.

My advice, If you can’t get the average 2F to run run desmogged, you really don’t want to deal with an engine swap.

I’ve done 42,000 miles in my truck with a really worn out 2F and it runs great. 320,000 miles and it knocks out cross country trips while wheeling and getting back home.

Keep it simple. Get it back to factory and work from there.

No idea why you bought a FJ60 to want to swap the motor. I think an FJ80 makes a lot more sense at that point.

I haven't tried the Weber before but the Aisan can be worked with. My best luck has been capping off all of the ports except for the three near the intake on the carburetor. Looking at the motor straight on, far right cap it. The left two loop it.

Now I do have a bog off idle and it's definitely not ideal, but it is working.

My high altutide thing was coming apart and didn't want to mess with it. Will keep iterating.

I run a weber and it runs great (now that I've corrected the timing😬)... I haven't even hooked up the electric choke yet and it still starts in the cold if you put your foot into it🦶. bigboiimigel what wire did you use to connect the 12v choke?

@terannotterran - lots of people buy 60s and swap in other engines for a variety reasons. I have a stock 2G that's smogged and running great and I think of swapping in something with better mileage, more power etc.

To each their own.

@HemiAlex I would love to get this thing running right. It had a hard life in Colorado, with lots of wheelin' and towing. I think it towed a lot because it has helper springs, trailer brake controller, secondary oil filter, heavy engine wear, and a gnarly tear in the driver seat. Its got 258K miles, but it was a hard 258k. Burns oil really bad, very low compression.

@HemiAlex I would love to get this thing running right. It had a hard life in Colorado, with lots of wheelin' and towing. I think it towed a lot because it has helper springs, trailer brake controller, secondary oil filter, heavy engine wear, and a gnarly tear in the driver seat. Its got 258K miles, but it was a hard 258k. Burns oil really bad, very low compression.

mine burns oil but not concerning. What’s your compression at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom