Builds 1985 FJ60 -> 6.0 Liter LS Swap Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Awesome build. I am in the middle of an 83 FJ60 rebuild. May need some tips as I go along. I'm using an 07 Avalanche 5.3 with modified cam to give 100hp boost to stock. Looking to see if I can use Avalanche condenser on the AC but I think it is too big to incorporate. Glad to see you were able to make stock condenser work.

What OME lift do you have? Do the 34's rub when flexed? Love the look and stance!

I have the OME HD lift and CCOT lift shackles. I had to cut the fronts of my front fenders for clearance but otherwise, no. Thanks!

Awesome build. I am in the middle of an 83 FJ60 rebuild. May need some tips as I go along. I'm using an 07 Avalanche 5.3 with modified cam to give 100hp boost to stock. Looking to see if I can use Avalanche condenser on the AC but I think it is too big to incorporate. Glad to see you were able to make stock condenser work.

The stock condenser has worked flawlessly. My AC blows ice cold.

I haven't done a good job of updating this thread, but I've been enjoying the truck, of course! Still drive her every day. I've made some changes lately, most notably with lift shackles, new wheels, and a GFC tent/Dometic fridge out back. Here are some pics (and some links to my recent trip report, which I need to finish up!)

20190622_9282-1.jpg

20190622_9588-1.jpg

20190622_0272-1-Recovered.jpg

20190622_1487-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

20190622_1607-as-Smart-Object-1.jpg

fj60-fj62-land-cruiser-rtt-roof-top-tent-gfc-copy.jpg

go-fast-campers-roof-top-tent-green-bronze-copy.jpg

AfterlightImage-188-copy.jpg

DSC00247-Recovered.jpg

Gorgeous 60 series. I'm strongly considering moving to the GFC with my 80 series. As the 80 is also gutter mount, can you fill us in a bit re. the gutter mount system? Did the mounts come from GFC or was it a custom job? I would also like to go gutter/tent only with no separate bars or roof rack.

Answered my own question. Wicked simple solutions are the best. I'm all over reducing roof loads.

Answered my own question. Wicked simple solutions are the best. I'm all over reducing roof loads.

$500 dollars for gutter mount adapters. Yikes!

Incredible build. Thanks for sharing so much detail. Can you describe how you configured your exhaust system? Pictures of how it was routed, muffler specs, placement, etc? I also have a 6.0 LS in an FJ62 (‘89), but the exhaust solution is poor.

Incredible build. Thanks for sharing so much detail. Can you describe how you configured your exhaust system? Pictures of how it was routed, muffler specs, placement, etc? I also have a 6.0 LS in an FJ62 (‘89), but the exhaust solution is poor.

Thanks man, appreciate the compliments. I don't have pics of that truck but here's another one we recently built. This was an Erod and we decided to do the crossover under the trans, in my old blue truck the crossover was behind the Tcase. Either way works, sort of depends on how you do the crossmember and where you've got space.

20210218_142132.jpg

20210222_083532.jpg

Thanks man, appreciate the compliments. I don't have pics of that truck but here's another one we recently built. This was an Erod and we decided to do the crossover under the trans, in my old blue truck the crossover was behind the Tcase. Either way works, sort of depends on how you do the crossmember and where you've got space.

View attachment 2797009
View attachment 2797007
Hows it spund woth the big flowmaster muffler ive used dual flowmasters sounded more like a old school hot rod ive also used a big 3 in 3 out magnaflow muffler that sounded better not as loud less droan noise driving. Exhaust is a pain but I rather do it in house instead of an exhaust shop they really dont care how it fits or how it looks plus I us all ss amd also uae the factory hangers to hold everything in place comes out way cleaner than any exhaust shop ive ever used.

Hows it spund woth the big flowmaster muffler ive used dual flowmasters sounded more like a old school hot rod ive also used a big 3 in 3 out magnaflow muffler that sounded better not as loud less droan noise driving. Exhaust is a pain but I rather do it in house instead of an exhaust shop they really dont care how it fits or how it looks plus I us all ss amd also uae the factory hangers to hold everything in place comes out way cleaner than any exhaust shop ive ever used.

That is a flowmaster 70-series muffler which is pretty quiet overall, especially on the Erod motors with catalytic converters. It doesn't drone like the higher performance flowmasters do so we've used it on quite a few builds.

View attachment 2797009
View attachment 2797007
Very helpful. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom