BaT 1985 FJ45 Troopy (BaT fail) SOLD (1 Viewer)

Bring-a-Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 45 Series
OK. I've got a 1985 FJ45 Troopy for sale. I tried selling on BaT. After this, my third BaT auction I'm convinced buyers there are only looking for shiny, finished, polished FJ. That is not what this is. This is a mechanically sound, beautiful FJ with lots of options if you wish to turn it into a $50-$70k rig.

Link to photo album is here.

This is a Venezuelan truck. Original LHD. I bought in '17, imported in '18. I'm selling because my wife chose her soft-top FJ40 over this one and that one is going to get all of the love ($$$).
I imported this to Ft. Lauderdale, flew down and drove it straight home to Oxford Mississippi. It was a breeze and a blast. This thing rides great even at 65 on the highway.

The good:
Starts (push button in center dash) like a charm, no problem.
I've rebuilt both axles (including replacement of new rear ring & pinion) completely.
New calipers & discs on front.
New Tom Woods front shaft, new U-joints for rear.
New Aisin locking hubs.
Powder coated front bumper.
Came with junk seats. I've fitted (and wired up) electric BMW seats in the front. More leg room than I (6' 4") need.
Compression is good across all 6 cylinders.
Lots of other new bits (wiper/overflow reservoir, PCV valve, starter, dash cap, dash pads, OEM ashtray, tail lights, shifter boots, too much to remember)

The bad:
Original bed is there and clean (see under photos), but covered with checkerplate. Its welded in. I had to sand and paint (bedliner) this. Long-term I'd remove, but not something I want to take on right now.
8 small holes in the roof from previously mounted roof rack (M4 bolts). Currently plugged.

Price: $23,000
May consider trades for a Land Rover (pre '96 RRC, Defender, Series)

Last edited:
I've updated the post and added more details and a large album.

1572548372443.png

1572548434373.png

BAT is a tricky crowd and auction results can be very puzzling. Some things sell for way more than seems like they should and others don't go anywhere near where they should.

Thanks Seth. I probably should have stuck a few photos in the advert, not just a link to the album.
Yeah, it is puzzling. To my mind, this LHD 2F should have fetched far more than the Australian RHD with far more rust and a roof-camper mod. Oh well. I'm sure there is someone out there that has been pining for a Troopy.

BAT is a tricky crowd and auction results can be very puzzling. Some things sell for way more than seems like they should and others don't go anywhere near where they should.
the right buyer has to be looking to buy the week you happen to post. aka its a crapshoot.

Agreed @Warde.
I probably should have come straight to the community. Live & learn.
It is a great rig and will make someone happy. Until then I'll continue to tinker & enjoy.

youll find a buyer, plenty of fish in the sea

do you think the bed under the plate is in good shape? I wonder why they covered it.

do you think the bed under the plate is in good shape? I wonder why they covered it.

If it was in good shape, it likely isn't now. I can't imagine they primed the back of the diamond plate and the bed before welding them together. They created a great place for moisture to sit and rust whatever is left of the bed.

I followed this auction. I think the BMW seats threw a bunch of people off. I'm sure they're comfortable but they look ridiculous. Easy enough fix, though. I had a running tally of all the little things that would need to be addressed and I eventually lost interest. I'm really looking for a diesel troopy but I'd get a gas one if it was nice enough or the price was low enough that it didn't matter. I'm not one to put $60K into a truck that will bring $40K. I like them, but not that much.

I like the truck and was watching the auction. Would have placed a bid but as I understand it, the rules here in California prohibit me from registering it here.

just out of curiosity why would you trade that for a landrover? not that I am biased with a Japanese vehicle over English but seems like you already have a bas ass rig....

Hah, good question @tlc81
The answer is I love Rovers (a buddy just told me this means I must love wrenching as much as I do driving...and he is not wrong).
The truth is, I have an FJ40 also...and a '79 Range Rover...and a Defender 90...and a Discovery 2. Just fun stuff. I'm not opposed to holding on to this rig. She is growing on me.

Hi Mike,

Yup, the floor of the tub is a question mark. I’m likely to move on fixing this situation early next year. I just wish I could find new troopy tubs/metal to replace it with. If anyone knows of a source, let me know. I see all sorts of panels (roof, tub) for 40s, but nothing for these rigs.

And yeah, the BMW seats are comfy but certainly not a fit. I was quite bummed the folks at Cruiser Corps could never get over to their other warehouse to pull the OEM seats they offered me over the course of a couple of weeks. It surely would have made a difference.

If you don’t mind sharing your list with me Mike by DM, I’d really appreciate it. This rig is really growing on me and I might just fix her up.

Cheers,
Brice

If it was in good shape, it likely isn't now. I can't imagine they primed the back of the diamond plate and the bed before welding them together. They created a great place for moisture to sit and rust whatever is left of the bed.

I followed this auction. I think the BMW seats threw a bunch of people off. I'm sure they're comfortable but they look ridiculous. Easy enough fix, though. I had a running tally of all the little things that would need to be addressed and I eventually lost interest. I'm really looking for a diesel troopy but I'd get a gas one if it was nice enough or the price was low enough that it didn't matter. I'm not one to put $60K into a truck that will bring $40K. I like them, but not that much.

Sorry Rone, she is sold. Sent you an email earlier this morning. I'll try to edit the post title

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom