SOLD 1985 BJ70, LHD, 12v, in Utah/USA, SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The time has come; I try and keep to a rule that if I am not really using something much, it’s time to let it go to someone who can use it much more. Up for sale is my 1985 Toyota BJ70 Landcruiser. It’s from Canada, so on the plus side, it’s left hand drive. Being a 1985 also makes it 12 volt, so this is a fairly rare cruiser, giving you what I think are two of the most sought after features with a BJ70 – LHD and 12v. If it only had AC it would be perfect, but they never sold AC with Canadian BJ70’s. It does not have AC. Powered by a 3B Diesel, turbocharged. 5 spd H55 manual transmission.

Being from Canada, it also comes with some rust. It’s been parked outside for about 4 years now and continues to slowly progress. I’ve seen much worse, this one is still pretty good, especially for a cruiser from Canada. When I purchased it, I wanted something I could drive off-road, not worry about scratching paint, and something that would make anywhere I want to go. It has fit that purpose perfectly.

This was legally imported in 2001 from Calgary and owned by the same owner until 2014. That owner did all of the work between 480,000km to 564,000km; he built this cruiser alongside the FJ40 that Kurt Williams owns. In 2007 the owner moved out of state and the BJ70 was parked in his parents garage, used occasionally when he came home to visit (this lasted for seven years).

Work done by previous owner from 2001 to 2014

OEM Parts replaced:
  • Radiator
  • Clutch, cover, bearings, resurfaced flywheel
  • Back door glass
  • Thermostat and gasket
  • Window regulator
  • Engine insulator bushings
  • Front and read flexible brake line hose
  • Wheel bearings, rear end and seals/gaskets, rotors
  • Wheel studs
  • Relay rod end
  • Starter
  • V belts
  • Brake rotors front end
  • Brake pads
  • Brake booster and master cylinder
  • Glow plug (x1)
Other non-OEM
  • AXT turbo kit (305-1100-000)
  • Marks 4wd low range transfer case gears
  • Snorkel kit and dust bowl
  • Rebuild injectors
  • Longfields/birfields
  • Custom front drive line, Toyota with CV type joint
  • Sierra ring and pinion set 4:88 and install kit
  • ARB lockers front and rear
  • Full float rear axle housing
  • Marlin high steer arms
  • Tie ends, tie rod
  • Spring perches
  • Shocks
  • Hella horn kit
  • Front end full rebuild using Koyo bearings, all new seals, etc
  • Front axle, FJ60 housing cut and turned
  • Old Man Emu anti rotation shackles and greaseable pins
  • Old Man Emu leaf springs
  • 2 batteries (4-14)
  • Bosch glow plugs (x3)
  • Painted and poly tuffed the gas tank
  • ARB bull bar
  • 3” exhaust and muffler, flex going
  • Custom rear bumper and side protection
  • Spare axles included, carried onboard under frame in a sealed rocket launcher tube (I kid you not)
In 2014, I purchased the BJ70 with 564,000km on it. Currently it has 572,000, which is approximately 355,430 miles. In the 4 years I have owned it, my mileage accounts for 4,980 miles. I use the vehicle for camping trips, off-road day trips, and a few times per year to get to work when it snows really bad.

In my time, I have completed the following

• New OEM windshield
  • New OEM water pump (replaced with new pump since gasket had small leak, still have working old pump)
  • Rust spot underneath windshield frame professionally repaired
  • Installed ARB 12v twin air compressor CKMTA12, added quick connect for on-board air
  • Warn VR 10,000 winch
  • Front seats professionally recovered
  • Replaced old window tint, current tint is legal, professionally installed (baked on)
  • Bumpers removed, sandblasted and powder coated
  • Engine Oil changed last in 2017, previously in 2015 and 2014 Delo 15w40
  • Transmission, transfer case, and differential oils changed in 2015, Royal Purple SAE 90w synthetic
  • 5 BFG Mud Terrain 35x12.50x15 tires, DOT date code of 10-14
  • American Racing Teflon coated alloy wheels (same rims as ICON Landcruiser)
This has been an awesome Landcruiser. I will miss seeing it in the driveway, but in the last two years I have driven it 100-200 miles each year. Hobbies have changed, and I find myself cycling, kayaking, hiking and backpacking much more. I have an 88 Toyota Pickup that is seeing much more use, and will keep me happy until I can bring in a 1999 J79 Landcuiser pickup.

The truck runs well. It can do about 70 on the freeway. In low range 4wd 1st gear I think it goes about 3Mph. The gearing has been done well to move the tires just fine, even with their size. To the best of my knowledge, the engine has not been rebuilt at any point, and I have a ton of various receipts from the previous owners.

Surprisingly, it does not really leak anything, which is great. The PS pump has moisture on it, but I’ve not seen drips and it’s not low.

The rust – drive it and just enjoy it, or if you have the time and skill, this could easily be brought back to great condition.

Price - $11,900

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3952.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_394c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_395e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3958.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_393b.jpg

Last edited:
Great price! Now where is the thread on that new truck!

Last edited:
Price reduced to $11,900

Last edited:
Did this one go to a mud member?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom