1985 BJ70 Brake Booster options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall,

I have a LHD BJ70 and have replaced most of the brake parts but still having a weak brake. The last part to get switched out will be the booster. Unfortunately, the OEM booster is crazy expensive and have heard that the 60 or 80 series will bolt up but may require some slight fab work. Anyone have a recommendation as to which booster would be a closer fit? I need to find one and get this puppy back on the road.

Thanks

I would try and find out if the brake booster is actually the problem. I thought they were rebuildable, parts manual suggests about $150 in parts. It would be like a new booster.

As Roscoe stated check to see if the vacuum system is working properly.

I don't know the Toyota diesels well, but on my Isuzu 4BD2 swap in my 60, the diesels alternator vacuum pump created much more vacuum then the 2f ever did. This resulted in more power vacuum assist = much better brakes!

Have you checked the vacuum pump, lines, vacuum reservoir and booster for leaks and function?

Thanks guys and yep, vac seems to be working well so I’m guessing the only thing left is the booster?
Bled system, checked brake lines, new parking brake, new master, vac is good.
I have about 50% of what I expect. I can drive it and it will stop but I ha e to really get on the brakes hard to stop quickly.

I just installed an 80 series booster into my 70, still waiting on some other parts to finish up the install, but it was a direct bolt in, just had to lengthen the push rod by about 3/4", I got mine at a junk yard for $70($90 shipped to my house), and a new MC from cruiser outfitters.

I got a new booster from @Racer65 and I now have brakes! I've been driving this thing since November with a bad booster and had no idea what proper brakes felt like in the 70. She stops nice and tight now.
It would have been a super easy install if they had left 3/16" more room in front of the clutch booster. I tried every way possible to get it out without unbolting the clutch booster but no dice.

So did you get a original booster for the 70 series or did you get an upgrade to the 80 series ?

Racer65 had a sweet deal on a new one so I just went that route. I was toying with the idea of going with the 80 but decided to try stock and it works perfectly. I'm 100% stock with brake components and if this new booster did not work, I was going with the upgraded 4runner calipers and 80 booster. Also researched upgrading to braided lines too but I'm pretty happy with how she is working right now.

BTW, I have my stock 70 booster and MC available if anyone needs it, worked fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom