1985 BJ 70 Lift Kit - Original or Aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello 70's. We are not too familiar with lift kits and/or original heights of the body and leaf springs. 1985 BJ70. Would anyone be able to tell us , in the pictures attached, is that an original lift or is that an aftermarket addition? Thanks for the help.
unnamed-2.jpg

unnamed-3.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

Hi i4c. Is this something to leave on (we don't off road), shorten to lower the height of the vehicle (if we wanted to lower it a bit), or just don't ever touch on account of painful death and destruction...:).
I had to you-tube "anti inversion shackle" and now understand:

Last edited:
Did you just get the cruiser? I would drive it for a while to make sure you really want it lower before going through the work. In some respects, the aftermarket shackles are actually better than the OEM ones as these can be greased to reduce "bushing binding". Once this happens, there is less movement in the springs, and you end up with a much rougher ride.

It looks like from the size of the shackles on there, you would only lower the entire truck by around 1" by replacing them with stock ones.

Now if the leaf springs are also aftermarket, the average lift in the springs would be 2". But we would need to see and do measurements of the entire truck to determine.

Hope you find your way in dartmouth! :D

Hi Rigster. Looks like you are in Vernon. Lovely country. We are heading to that area this July for downhill mountain biking... In the meantime, to your question: Yes we just bought it last month. Seems overly high for the 235/75/15s on it. Could go for a larger tyre size....but we will see. Photo attached to give you some idea without true measurements yet...
IMG_1515.jpg

Hi Rigster. Looks like you are in Vernon. Lovely country. We are heading to that area this July for downhill mountain biking... In the meantime, to your question: Yes we just bought it last month. Seems overly high for the 235/75/15s on it. Could go for a larger tyre size....but we will see. Photo attached to give you some idea without true measurements yet...
View attachment 2892660
Just based on the picture (nice 70!), I would have to say there is an aftermarket set of leaf springs in your cruiser - most likely 2" lift.

If you are set on lowering, I would recommend grabbing up someones originals from the forum that are in decent shape and use the same aftermarket anti-inversion shackles. This way you retain the greaseability of the bushings. Take the opportunity to put new bushings in if you go through all that work!

But I would still drive it for a while! :)

I may just put larger tyres and rims on 'er...
Now yer talkin'! lol

Then you will commence the journey down the rabbit hole!! Let's see... 85 BJ70 - 3B diesel in it? If you go with bigger tires, then you will want more power, so you will want to turbo it...

Check out @FJBen 's build thread on aftermarket 3B turbo mods, that should give you some good pointers.... 👍

I replaced my stock and extremely worn out suspension a year ago with the Old Man Emu kit. As mentioned that’s what it looks like you have. I’d leave it. No one makes aftermarket springs with <2” lift and finding originals to swap means 30+ year old parts.

31x10.5 are a good tire size for the stock rims. Could go 33x10.5 as well but a lot less options. Here’s mine right after I swapped springs/shackles with 31” tires. It’s settled a bit since.

23FCE7F7-4DA7-4593-9EB2-A4B30E927CE2.jpeg

Hello,

As mentioned above, you can try 31 x 10.5 tires.

I would take the chance to change the bushings.

33s can be too much for the 3B.

Juan

With those little 29 or 30 inch tyres, you are probably close to the stock height as it is. 31 or 32inch is as big as you should go with a 3B

I have 31x10.5 R15 BFG AT KO2 on my BJ73 / 3B with that 2 inch lift OME suspension.

The 3B is not a racing engine, but I can comfortably ride 96 km/h (60 mph) on the Autobahn and still have some resources left to pass a truck at 110km/h (70), if needed. 120 (75) is all I ever pushed it to.
Hills are a different story, though.
Consumption is around 12l/100km (20mpg).

Good to note. Our BJ70 has 420,000kms on it, will start at -20C with 15 seconds on the glowplugs, but starts much easier with the block heater plugged in 2hours beforehand:) Slow sluggish on the hills with lots of gearing down. However, with flat road and stock tyres, it will hold a comfy (albeit noisy) 110 km/hr. Headwinds...well...hmmmm.

As mentioned those are aftermarket Shackles, they look to be stock length (height)

The springs are also aftermarket and look like the standard 50-60mm lift.

FYI- Put on some used 31 10.5 15 Wranglers, old 4 runner rims, and a 1 inch spacer.
Also put on a new monroe steering damper to try and calm the road wander.
Got her up to 100 km, hit a small pothole and thats when it all went to hell-in-a-handbasket: death wobble.
Never experienced the wobble before ...on any truck. But it sure does make a person pucker....

So, rethinking. Will likely buy new BF A/T Goodrich Tires, put on the original steel rims (no spacer), and see if the problem is solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom