1985 60 Build/resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Never really posted my truck or it's background so I thought I'd share...
I found a listing for this truck in Ohio but it spent most of its' life in CO. It ran when I got it but not very well. Worn out carb, vacuum leaks and screwy wiring everywhere. It had rust in the body and tailgate but the frame was pretty clean and the interior was in very good shape. This was a pic from the listing
listing pic.jpg

I trailered it back to KY and decided to sort through the mechanics to see if I could get it running well. Gave it standard tune up bits of filters/plugs/wires/cap & rotor. Got a new Weber 38 and dove straight into a desmog.
desmoggin.jpg

simplify&addlightness.jpg

I've never owned a 60 before and certainly hadn't wrenched on one, so I wasn't sure I'd ever get it running again... but alas I got it fired up a week or two later. Although there were some close calls where the throttle stuck and a fuel line popped off and it started spewing coolant like a geyser. I thought it was going to kill me. But eventually I got it dialed in. I also discovered that it had had a pretty significant engine fire at some point. It had a wiring harness that was spliced into the original and it wasn't correct so certain lights didn't work no coolant temp oil pressure gauge etc. The battery cables were toasted, the fusable link was burned, the alternator cables had melted and the engine bay paint was singed and crispy.
toasty.JPG

While I haven't totally sorted out all the burned bits, I corrected the wiring, restored the gauge functions, replaced the battery cables etc. Then I started on the body and rust. I had the rust cut out and patch panels welded in and had the whole thing repainted. A new tailgate was sourced and painted too. I replaced the plastic bits on the outside (grill, turn signals, headlight bezels, and so on) and finally got her home.
paint&bodyfinished.jpeg

The PO gave me the original wheels although they were pretty nasty but I worked on refurbing the wheels and the mudflaps.
grosswheels.jpeg

the mudflaps came out pretty good though!
cleanedflappers.jpeg

Drove it around for a couple of months and some new gremlins appeared. The brakes were shot so I replaced the master cylinder, booster, rusted up calipers and pads... then the clutch slave cylinder went out so I replaced that too.
The headlights sucked so I put in some H4s with the ARB wiring harness. They're tons better but I still can't get the high beams to work. I think it might be the connection in the steering column because when I flash the high beams, they work and the dash indicator comes on too.
newgrill.jpeg

newH4s.jpeg

The steering sucked too so I replaced the tie rods and the steering damper with a OME one. It still has a lot of steering play but it's managable. It's going to need a knuckle rebuild and a steering box rebuild at some point.
Then I finally got to pop on some new shoes. I went with 33" KO2s.
cleanedupwheels.jpeg

the wheels aren't great but they're good enough to get me by
newshoes.JPG

I put on some new shackles at the same time to help me a bit more clearance.
The shocks were toasted so I put on some bilstiens to get me around.

newshoes.jpeg

New shackles
shackles.jpg

After I got tires it started running warm and I replaced the radiator with a 3 row aluminum one and replaced the thermostat and water pump and hoses and belts too.

Now I need to address that suspension sag. I'm thinking an OME 2.5 light load setup. I'd like to see if I can get the bilstiens to work for a while but I'm not sure they're long enough. I'm also planning on some castor correction wedges to help with the steering.
Long term I plan on an H55 gamviti roof rack and full undercarriage rustproofing and new carpet with dynamat underneath.

New shacklesView attachment 2286254

After I got tires it started running warm and I replaced the radiator with a 3 row aluminum one and replaced the thermostat and water pump and hoses and belts too.

Now I need to address that suspension sag. I'm thinking an OME 2.5 light load setup. I'd like to see if I can get the bilstiens to work for a while but I'm not sure they're long enough. I'm also planning on some castor correction wedges to help with the steering.
Long term I plan on an H55 gamviti roof rack and full undercarriage rustproofing and new carpet with dynamat underneath.

Looks great, progress is solid and you've taken a good approach to repairs. Keep it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom