1984FJ - 1983BJ Swap Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read for hours and am looking for a definative answer, I have both a 1984 FJ 2F 4spd bad motor, good body and frame and a full running donor 1983 BJ 3B 5Spd, pooched body and frame.
Both are complete running trucks, what do i need to take of the BJ to convert the FJ to a diesel?
Is there a link in here somwhere I have missed???
Thanks in advance

These two links go over everything you will be doing or need to do. Read careful and pm me if you have questions. The first link is the general write up about what I went through and the second is a longer day by day write up in our club forum. Its worth the effort.

The Wagon Way

Rain Country Cruisers Forum

Tony

Swap

Thanks Tony I will read thru both links, going to try and tackle this project with my son, goin to be his first ride I'm guessing we are going to have lots of questions along the way as neither of us have a ton of mechanical experience.

Three Cruisers now

Ok so now i have found another 60's series its an 86' with the six cyl. diesel and 5spd , really nice shape , whats interchangeable?, the motor is pooched has a hole in the number 6 cyl.
Am i better off using this truck to put the 3B in? any significant benefit or downside to this or my 84 FJ60 that had a 2f???
Thanks again all

Motor mounts don't match the BJ frame in either of the other two rigs. So no matter what rig you put the 3B in you will need to cut off and move the motor mounts.

The 5 speed off the 2H will fit on a gas motor, BJ uses a 3B specific tranny.

Not sure if the wire harness off the 2H is a match to the 3B. Is the HJ 60 24V? I believe all the Canadian BJ's were 12V

Other than that pretty much everything is interchangeable on our wagons. Some things that won't.

If you have all the rigs cheap, start mixing and matching and sell off the rest. Use the best frame and body. Maybe use the Frame out of the HJ as it is already legally a diesel registration. Might make a difference depending on where you are located.

Tony

Market

Hey Tony
Is there much of a market for all these extra parts, i am going to have a lot!! axles , drive shafts , trannys, windows, doors , body panels etc plus all the knick knacks that go along with complete trucks?

Yes

Depends on where you are as to how fast you might be able to sell them. You might want to put a general location with your avatar.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom