Builds 1984 Pickup Rebuild (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

whats the cruise motor from?
doesn't look like either of the 96+ i have

It’s from a 1998 4Runner, I did modify the bracket but it’s a Toyota part.
Interesting. I'm using the longer cable, mostly because it's what I had. I'm not only showing that the shorter cable is still available, I'm showing it's the correct part for the 3RZ in a 1998 4R. Stupid money, but available.

Short cable: 78180-89141
Long cable: 78180-35052

Interesting, I was going off of what was on 22re Performances website. If I’m unhappy with the quality of the cheap one I bought I’ll order a Toyota one. The sheathing is cracked and broken on mine which is also causing issues.

Thank you for the correction!

IMG_4333.png

@gnob, I’ll grab the part number for my CC module tomorrow. I spent some time this evening looking at photos of the CC module for an 98 4Runner and it definitely looks different from what everywhere else is showing.

Spent the day just doing odds and ends. The marker lights are wired, drain line for the AC evap installed and diff breathers ran again. Really not much to do until more parts arrive. I’m waiting on a fan shroud, throttle cable, new coil wires (one of mine was busted), and an electrical connector to replace the ECU temp sensor connector since it had broken tabs. If all goes well, I should have it up and running in 1-2 weeks and then I can finally finish the wiring and install the interior.

@gnob, here’s the part number for the cruise control, I didn’t get any hits on Amayama for it.

IMG_4344.jpeg

Turns out the throttle cable I ordered is too short but yet the one from a later model is too long. In the end I just modified this one by breaking it. Eventually I’ll fix it and try a Toyota cable but for now it works and I have full throttle. I also got some random parts from 22RE Performance installed new clutch and brake pedal, hood rod and grommet, and washer fluid line clips installed
IMG_4345.jpeg

I’ve also noticed that the drivers headlight is a lot lower than the passenger side. This front clip had some damage to it and I thought I did a good enough job getting it out. At this point I’ll either pay a body guy to fix it (I’m over body work and I suck at it) or, if I can find another front clip, I’ll weld that on. With this project going the way it has been I’m over trying to get it all done. I just want to drive it and enjoy the truck again, the original goal was cheap and that goal didn’t last long.
IMG_4346.jpeg

@gnob, here’s the part number for the cruise control, I didn’t get any hits on Amayama for it.

View attachment 3608093

Turns out the throttle cable I ordered is too short but yet the one from a later model is too long. In the end I just modified this one by breaking it. Eventually I’ll fix it and try a Toyota cable but for now it works and I have full throttle. I also got some random parts from 22RE Performance installed new clutch and brake pedal, hood rod and grommet, and washer fluid line clips installed View attachment 3608094

I’ve also noticed that the drivers headlight is a lot lower than the passenger side. This front clip had some damage to it and I thought I did a good enough job getting it out. At this point I’ll either pay a body guy to fix it (I’m over body work and I suck at it) or, if I can find another front clip, I’ll weld that on. With this project going the way it has been I’m over trying to get it all done. I just want to drive it and enjoy the truck again, the original goal was cheap and that goal didn’t last long.
View attachment 3608098
cool. i have apparently never seen that one with the cover off.
This is the one im using. this is a 95ish.
ive seen it on 4R and one or two year taco.
7 wire unit. was used on several different models of vehicles imu.
i just have this as an electric hand throttle.

20240415_170004.jpg

20240415_170007.jpg

is the headlight really that far out. your hood and bumper being jacked is messing with perspective.
I’ll have to double check with the hood open and the bumper off. I have a new grill I can test fit as well to see. This truck has been in two wrecks, one was a roll that crushed the drivers front and the other was a T bone accident so I’m suspecting that there is damage going into the cab and I didn’t notice it.

The truth is, I would’ve probably been money and time ahead to have just swapped on the spare cab I had laying around. But I didn’t want mismatched vins, this was a personal choice and it’s not one I’m sure I’d do again. I love this truck and I’ve enjoyed all the time and effort put into it, I just wish I had done a few things very differently and it would’ve made for a better outcome.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom