1984 FJ45 Troopy for sale in Adelaide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
High and dry in the desert, dancing between hemisp
This one seems decent, has power steering and air con and is reasonably (if slightly high) priced. I do not know this bloke from Adam's house cat and I have not seen it, but it is not too far from my house. If anyone is serious about it and wants me to have a look at it, let me know. I am fairly busy at the moment, but I can take a neutral third-party look at it.

MOT- easy to put this one on gas....

Cheers,

Josh
VEHICLE DETAILS:
Vehicle: 1984 TOYOTA LANDCRUISER FJ45 LWB
Body: 2 door Hardtop
Trans: 4 speed Manual
Km: 250000
Price : $6,000.00

For more information on this vehicle please visit
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/private-results.aspx?Ntk=CarRego&Ntt=6805693®o=6805693&D=6805693

That looks like a promising rig. I like it. Thanks Josh for posting.

Josh,

Looks alright/all right!
Thanks for posting and thanks also for thinking of me!

To a troopy newb like myself, it looks like the one that Tommy has just sold, except not as refined.

So it has the ac... can you tell if it has the PS and front discs as well (being a '84 does that automatically answer any questions?)

I think it might have been even a clincher for me if it already had the propane set-up.
BTW, is that something that can be done fairly easily in OZ, meaning that if I picked up a troopy w/o dual duel, can I possibly ask the seller to take it to a shop in (their) town and pay them for it? If so, just roughly, how much would such a set up usually run?? (Guesstimate?)

Thanks again, Josh!

Mot :crybaby:

MOT,

It appears to have power steering, because I can see the pump on the engine. As for disk brakes, I would assume it does- unless it was sold new in WA or the Northern Territory.

To fit gas after-market here is about au$2,500-$3,000 and it only takes a few days.

Cheers,

Josh

Josh,

Thanks again!

I really need to read up on what were standard/available options on the different years of these rigs. :doh:

And although at first $2,500-$3,000 sounds a bit expensive when convert it into the US currency it sounds reasonable.

On a side note, my FIL told my wife that he filled up his propane tank for his BBQ grille recently and said that he paid something like $3/gal.:eek: I was shocked as I thought I had read that Utah had (one of) the cheapest propane prices in the US. Maybe he got ripped off or you don't get as cheap of a rate when not buying in large quantities...

If what he told me was true, I would definitely consider a diesel powered troopy as well... I have a feeling that it's still (a lot) cheaper than $3 though, but I'll just have to find out.

Thanks again for your input/feedback, Josh!

Mot :)

On a side note, my FIL told my wife that he filled up his propane tank for his BBQ grille recently and said that he paid something like $3/gal.:eek: I was shocked as I thought I had read that Utah had (one of) the cheapest propane prices in the US.

Our boiler for the radiant heat in our house burns propane. Our last fill-up was $3.68/gal. We buy in fairly large quantities on the spot market since we own our storage tank. We use about 75-80 gallons per week from early December through mid-March.

So all this time that I thought I had read that the cost of "propane" in Utah was one of the cheapest in the nation.... what they really meant was the cost of "CNG" (compressed natural gas)???

According to this site the cost of CNG is $0.80-$0.90-ish in UT, compared to $2.40-$3.40-ish for LPG. And there appear to be a lot less LPG stations as well. :doh:

I'm assuming that you can't run CNG with the propane set-up, right?

I guess I need to post this kind of question in the alternative fuel section, eh?

Generally CNG and LPG systems are compatible from a design perspective. You will need to change the orifices that deliver the gas stream into the intake depending on the fuel used. Sometimes the regulator pressure needs to be adjusted as well.

Rufus,

Thanks for posting/replying!

According to this guy there are great differences between them and that they are not interchangeable.

Am I not reading it correctly???

I want to believe that the cost of "propane" is one of the cheapest in the US as I've read on/in this forum, as well as some others, but maybe a lot of people confuse these two gasses....??? :confused:

If the cost of propane is not really $0.80-ish/gal (or whatever the volume they use) and it's more like $3.50-ish then I see little to no benefit/desire in choosing a duel-fuel (with propane) set up but go diesel all the way. :hmm:

According to this guy there are great differences between them and that they are not interchangeable.

Am I not reading it correctly???

If the cost of propane is not really $0.80-ish/gal (or whatever the volume they use) and it's more like $3.50-ish then I see little to no benefit/desire in choosing a duel-fuel (with propane) set up but go diesel all the way. :hmm:

Propane has less energy content than diesel. I don't remember the exact numbers but I think it's approximately 1.3 gallons of propane is equal to one gallon of diesel in terms of BTU/energy content. CNG has even less energy content than LPG. So you're going to have to burn that much more LPG/CNG to get the same amount of work out of the engine.

The ebay guide you linked to is correct. I didn't mean to imply that the gasses are interchangeable. You can't run CNG and LPG in the same vehicle and switch back and forth with each fill-up. However, it's generally possible to convert an LPG system to work with CNG and vice versa. The conversion would require someone that knows what they are doing but generally boils down to changing the regulating pressure and replacing the delivery orifices. The storage tanks and filling stations are completely different issues.

You would be far better off with a diesel engine IMO if you're looking for the best fuel economy.

edited to add:
Energy content of a gallon of fuel:
diesel - 128,000 to 130,000 BTU
LPG - 84,000 BTU
Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) - 33,000 to 38,000 BTU
LNG - 73,500 BTU

Last edited:
crusty,

I think I will....

You come across a good one that I may be interested in, please drop me a line! :crybaby:

Hope all is well!

Mot

I'll take that truck for $ 500. I think there's a few parts I could use and the rest I'll pawn off to mot.

Mike, when do you want me to pick it up?

Mike-

No title or keys?? What's the story behind the 45 you pictured? Is it here locally in Colorado?

Gimme a call @
720-320-8207 or send me an email to: JeffVanWyk@yahoo.com

I'm up in Littleton....so you can't be too far from me- just not sure if my Tacoma will tow it on our flatbed- looks much heavier than my '40.

Hope to hear from you soon!!

Jeff Van Wyk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom