1984 FJ45 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on IHMUD.com, introducing my 1984 FJ45 "Gunner" I just purchased & brought back from Tasmania to my home town of Geelong.

Spotted Gunner online, and sent my old man out to take a look (local Tasmanian), he said I'd be crazy not to snap her up, so I booked a flight to go get my new toy.

The first photo was at the airport, when I literally first laid eyes upon Gunner.

Next 2 photos, on-board the Spirit of Tasmania, back to the mainland for the first time in many years.

Gunner is an 84 Troopy converted to a Ute, I jumped on the sale because for me all the hard yards (panel & paint wise) are done, all rust has been cut out, and the paint job ain't too bad. Super Straight Panels

Pro's: Duel Fuel, Power Steering, Factory air-con, UHF, MP3 deck with USB, new seats with lambs wool seat covers, new carpet,

Con's: Needs new Gas Tank, Needs door skins, a few oil leaks to solve, engine rebuild not too far off im sure of it.

Plans: Watch this thread; 33" Federal Couragia M/T tyres, 15 x 8" Black Sunraysia Steelies, 2" lift kit - new springs, shackles, shocks, polyurethane bushes, convert chunky bullbar into stubby winch bar, winch, new gas tank, fix oil leaks..

Let me know what you guys think, I'm dying to hear some yank opinion.

Updates

Update: Removed old Gas Tank, EFS 2" Lift Kit Installed, 15 x 8 Sunraysia Steelies & 33 x 12.5 Federal Couragia M/T's fitted

You didn't waste any time did you?

Really should of committed to fixing some of the leaks, and niggles first.. but hey couldn't resist! :D

(USA = "U ain't gonna See Any of those over here").

This is refreshing; I am forever drooling over the epic gear you guys have over there in the states.

Does anyone have a rough conservative estimate what something like this would fetch price wise in the USA, its Right hand drive?

This weekend I will finish off my Stubby Winch Bar, and upload some images.

I also really have to jump on top of ordering some sort of guards to conceal the protruding 33's as to avoid attention from the local police force.

I was thinking these; but I do not want to trim panels as such; they should still work regardless?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-LANDCRUISER-FJ40-40-SERIES-FJ-40-EXTRA-WIDE-FLARES-/181105371237?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2ab8a865&_uhb=1

OR else otherwise buy the rubber mould guards, little frustrating to fit and looks a tad on the ugly side..?

Does anyone have a rough conservative estimate what something like this would fetch price wise in the USA, its Right hand drive?

?

From the distance you've taken the photos, and what we know right now ... hard to tell. Close ups of body, engine, cab. Details on matching engine to frame serial # and what you plan to do with it will help folks look for comparable sales of imported RHDs in the states.

*UPDATE

75mm Rubber flares fitted with 3mm wire support which has allowed them to shape well with little sag. (cars technically legal now)

Snorkel fitted.

Fabbed up a custom bracket for UHF Antenna mount on Windscreen.

What gunner looked like when he turned up at my place:eek:

Good to see he's gone to a good home. In answer to your PM have a couple of hundred build pics if your interested.

First thing I did when I moved to America with my lx was to take those silly rubber rust-creators off. I don't miss the nanny culture, the endless silly laws, cameras and rules for everything in Australia one bit.

The troopy is looking great though!

So is a Troopy really a 45?

Whatever Gunner is, it's gorgeous. Let's see the inside and engine. If those are nice, or soon to be, then I'd say $20-25K? Maybe more. Hard to tell about value but it would be uber unique in the US.

Vae Victus said:
So is a Troopy really a 45?

Whatever Gunner is, it's gorgeous. Let's see the inside and engine. If those are nice, or soon to be, then I'd say $20-25K? Maybe more. Hard to tell about value but it would be uber unique in the US.

It's a 45 if it's petrol, H or B diesel, 47 if it's a 2H diesel.

Worth quite a but in America-especially with those flares chucked in the bin where they belong :) let me know when you want to send her here and I'll help you with the paperwork. Easy-peasy, less paperwork that the Spirit of Tasmania.

Chamba,

So there could only be said: an HJ47 pickup or an HJ47 Troopy, correct?

Often wondered when looking at the published production numbers, just how the factory differentiated the number-naming of a pickup vs a Troopy(Troop Carrier)? Doesn't seem to be a break-out of the production numbers--one model name for both.

Bear said:
Chamba,

So there could only be said: an HJ47 pickup or an HJ47 Troopy, correct?

Often wondered when looking at the published production numbers, just how the factory differentiated the number-naming of a pickup vs a Troopy(Troop Carrier)? Doesn't seem to be a break-out of the production numbers--one model name for both.

Good question bear. I don't reckon there is that I can tell other than the model designation on the plate (hj47RV vs hj47RP, etc). My 4/84 troopy was hj47 031989, and a mate of mine had a 4/84 pickup which was only about 80 away from mine.

Impressive!

I have spend years on automotive forums, and I must say seeing the history of my vehicle - has taken the cake, many thanks for your efforts Uted - much appreciated.

& yes I well and truly expected that reaction to the rubber guards, but I am so paranoid - I drive this thing as a daily, and I have already copped it twice now, running 31" tyres on a Suzuki Sierra (probably less than 15-20mm rubber exceeding panel) and running 33"s on my JK Wrangler (less than 10mm rubber exceeding factory plastic guards - had the police officers eyebrow lifted)

Gunner said:
I have spend years on automotive forums, and I must say seeing the history of my vehicle - has taken the cake, many thanks for your efforts Uted - much appreciated.

& yes I well and truly expected that reaction to the rubber guards, but I am so paranoid - I drive this thing as a daily, and I have already copped it twice now, running 31" tyres on a Suzuki Sierra (probably less than 15-20mm rubber exceeding panel) and running 33"s on my JK Wrangler (less than 10mm rubber exceeding factory plastic guards - had the police officers eyebrow lifted)

You are not paranoid. I lived in Australia for seven long years and I was ticketed for everything from having a dirty number plate to riding my bicycle without my helmet securely fitted. I was warned once that it was illegal to put my Colorado number plate on my roof rack and I was done for having my elbow resting on the open window sill. You are not paranoid; you live in Australia. I've never, ever experienced such a big brother country ever. Good on ya for being careful, that rig is too cool to get defected.

I have a fj45 and i wonder if 35 would fit on ?
My setup is 2.5 lift with oldman EMU?

Im totally new to 4x4...

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom