1984 FJ43 - Leaking Wheel Bearing Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am novice and just bought my first cruiser. It is a 1984 FJ43. I put it on a lift the other day and noticed the left front wheel bearing was leaking. There was only a slight wobble to the wheel. I'd like to get the boards opinion on if this is something I should fix quickly or could wait. If I go forward with a fix, is it simply replacing a seal or is it more complicated? Thanks!

Cruiser_Wheel.jpg

Crusier_1.jpg

I started out in your situation on my FJ40 with “just” a knuckle rebuild due to a minor grease leak.

Like peeling an onion, it had evolved into a complete front end rebuild involving brake lines and taking apart the diff. Learning a ton but be prepared for more than what you think.

That is a very common periodic maintenance item on a Land Cruiser. It’s a messy job, but not too difficult and is a rite of passage to being a Land Cruiser owner.

The leak is from the inner axle seal. As @devo suggested, do a search and you’ll see what is all about.

In the meantime, you can still drive the rig, just make sure the front differential fluid level stays in check.

This 👆. From the side of the truck, try to wiggle the top of the front tire in and out. Grab the tire and push/pull. If there's any play, you need new wheel bearings. If there isn't any movement, there isn't what we would refer to as wobble. As stated before, that would be the perfect, yet filthy, first job to learn on your truck. When you're done, you'll be proud you tackled it. (right of passage.)

As stated research knuckle rebuild and buy some paper towels. Then buy more paper towels and keep buying paper towels until you think you have enough paper towels and then buy another case. Not labor intensive just really messy. It is a rite of passage.

Welcome to the mud/mad mate!
Sweet looking 43, which part of the globe does it come from?
What about some more pics?

====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, factory 5spd tranny, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45 PickUp, factory P/S, resto-project
1942 Willys 1/4 ton trailer, resto-project

Last edited:
has the rig sat for a while? oil can separate out from grease and give a similar look. the wipers are clean
usually the knuckles are totally covered in grime if it is leaking and mixing with the grease in the knuckle.
but if you just got this rig, there is no telling what someone else has done to it and the full rebuild should take place.

Thanks all! I really appreciate the feedback! This forum is awesome. I think I am going to go forward with the full rebuild, I have sometime this holiday and it will be a good excuse to spend it in the garage!

has the rig sat for a while? oil can separate out from grease and give a similar look. the wipers are clean
usually the knuckles are totally covered in grime if it is leaking and mixing with the grease in the knuckle.
but if you just got this rig, there is no telling what someone else has done to it and the full rebuild should take place.

I bought it about a month ago and dont know too much about it. I think a full rebuild will give me the piece of mind.

Welcome to the mud/mad mate!
Sweet looking 43, which part of the globe does it come from?
What about some more pics?

====
1984 BJ42, frame-off restored, factory 5spd tranny, 4E9 Toyo beige
1983 BJ45 PickUp, factory P/S, resto-project
1942 Willys 1/4 ton trailer, resto-project

Thanks! It is a South American import. I believe from either Columbia or Brazil.

Thanks all! I really appreciate the feedback! This forum is awesome. I think I am going to go forward with the full rebuild, I have sometime this holiday and it will be a good excuse to spend it in the garage!

Welcome to Mud your gonna love ownership. Agree with everyone above but learn how to search threads it is very helpful and saves a ton of time.

Buy a FSM for the 40 series or at least a Haynes manual. You will learn the beautiful thing about these cruisers are they were built with common sense so you don't have to go spend thousand dollars on tools unless you want to.

Contact Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters, they can supply you with everything you need. Their new kits even have some instructions.

When you have this torn down check out your brakes and rotors. Its a great time to do any possible maintenance on the front end. With unknown history it may save you some heartaches later! It's a Dirty, Dirty Dirty job for sure but not hard to do.

Cheers!!

Welcome !, Great looking FJ43 !

:cheers:

Take pics as you disassemble the knuckles/hubs and take pics as you put back together. If you run into problems the pics will help members on Forum walk you through solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom