Builds 1984 FJ40 Restoration In New Zealand #fj40_build_nz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody

So I have spent the past 5 years looking for an old Fj to restore, Finally managed to get my hand on one last year!! Woo Hoo!!

I have spent alot of time on this site looking at all of the FJ restoration threads and I can assure you all that I will not be spending as much money and time as some of the others.

My budget is pretty tight so im hoping that I can call in a few favors from friends to get the Job done.

Ill spend the next few weeks uploading the progress so far.

I would really appreciate any input and advice that you guys might be able to help me with!

First few photos!

IMG_1980.JPG

0176314e72b6e13c7773cce5deb22893b5cbde888b.jpg

IMG_1457.JPG

IMG_1458.JPG

Nice 84 40 , is it a 2f and an h55f ?
Drum or disc brake up front ?

Cheers!
It is a 2F but only with a 4 speed box.
Shes got drum brakes all round. Which is kinda strange as I thought the 84's had Disc brakes

I put the front springs in tonight, Tick that off the list!!
When I first bought the truck I noticed that there was alot of oil leaking from both sides of the front brake drums. At first I thought it was brake fluid but later realized that it was probably diff oil. So it looks like im gonna need to replace the diff seals. Ill open it up and see what else I find. Hopefully shes not a can of worms!!

IMG_1956.JPG

Hi, Nice work. If you figure everything needs replacing ,then you are pleasantly surprised when it doesn't need replacing. Most seals are worn out on these trucks by now. Brake lines ,bearings, hoses need most likely to be replaced for safety sake . Mike

Its taken nearly a month but i recon im gonna have the diff finished this weekend! I just finished the last bit of the clean up and gave the hub locks a quick freshen up.
In a week It will be 6 months since I started the restoration and im pretty keen to get on to stripping down the tub and getting it sent for blasting and painting. Good times!

IMG_2056.JPG

Great find, and great job, mate. Welcome to the addiction. I wish I had that kind of professional help when installing my spring bushes. BTW, you sure its an '84, with a 4 speeder and drum front end? I thought these came with a 5 speeder, discs and power steering.

Cheers

Great find, and great job, mate. Welcome to the addiction. I wish I had that kind of professional help when installing my spring bushes. BTW, you sure its an '84, with a 4 speeder and drum front end? I thought these came with a 5 speeder, discs and power steering.

Cheers

If it was a LX model probably would had all those things. But never heard them as being standard on all FJ40s. If they were the H55F top covers for the 40 series would much easier to find. When you do find them most were from FJ42s that were mated to a 3B. Most long wheel base 45/47 did not get a rear axle with a hand brake, or power steering and five speed standard. Think Australia got disc brakes around 83, US had them by the 76 model. Not sure the collapsible steering column ever made it to Australia at least the 45/47 didn't have them in 84. While only importing FJ40s to the US all had the collapsible steering column starting with the 81 model. If the plaque above the heater blower can be read it will have the transmission and axle information.

The museum's Aus-spec 1983 BJ42 LX is a disc brake front with a full float rear and a 5 speed.

The museum's Aus-spec 1983 BJ42 LX is a disc brake front with a full float rear and a 5 speed.

My guess is also has three wiper blades and fancy interior with forward facing rear seat. The one in New Zealand only has two wiper blades so most likely not a LX. There was a thread a while back with a FJ40 in Australia that had a five speed and was not a LX (most LXs seem to be BJ42s) which is rear that it had a five speed.

Yup, 3 wipers, striped cloth seats, transverse rear seat, sliding side windows, tach, A/C, power steering, extra plastic interior trim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom