Builds 1984 FJ40 Restoration In New Zealand #fj40_build_nz (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nice one bro...good to see a fellow Aucklander getting stuck in.
I've just embarked on a FJ45 resto...
I'm hoping my chassis will look like yours in a few months : )

nice one bro...good to see a fellow Aucklander getting stuck in.
I've just embarked on a FJ45 resto...
I'm hoping my chassis will look like yours in a few months : )

Nice! sometimes I wish that I had done a 45!! send us some pictures when you get a chance

The tub is taking a bit longer to get blasted and painted than expected so I thought that a crash course in Tig welding and panel repairs was needed. I'm an absolute novice at this so fingers crossed
upload_2017-9-25_20-21-30.png

upload_2017-9-25_20-21-55.png

The boys have done a great job sandblasting the tub. Its exposed quite a bit of bog that has been put in over the years as well as a few other rust spots. Im really glad that it has been blasted, its definitely the best way to make sure that you get the body totally clean with nowhere for the rust to hide!!! Ill post a few pictures of it with some primer on soon.

upload_2017-10-1_19-21-29.png

upload_2017-10-1_19-21-50.png

The boys have done a great job sandblasting the tub. Its exposed quite a bit of bog that has been put in over the years as well as a few other rust spots. Im really glad that it has been blasted, its definitely the best way to make sure that you get the body totally clean with nowhere for the rust to hide!!! Ill post a few pictures of it with some primer on soon.

View attachment 1547131

View attachment 1547132
There are still some hard to reach area's where these "younger" cruisers hide their rust.
Make sure you treat the cavities with something that prevents the rust to continue.

Hey guys. Its been a while since i have put any pictures up.
Turns out that cutting all of the rust out of the tub has been a much bigger job than I thought!!
I had another reshuffle in the garage and set the chassis up. In the next few weeks im going to bring the tub back home to finish the last part of the body work which involves fitting up and welding in the rear sill. Hopefully everything goes to plan!!

fjchassis.jpg

Things have been a bit slow with the body work lately. Ive got the doors away with a good panel beater mate of mine getting sorted.
While they are away getting finished I have been working on the rear sides of the tub welding in a few patches and trying to get them as straight as I can before bogging them. Im determined to put in a good few months work before Christmas and see how much I can get done!:flipoff2::santa::santa::santa::santa::santa:

44898899_259286614773479_710628383804882944_n.jpg

44981056_2458444580840007_2264623164396929024_n.jpg

Hello,

Keep us posted please.

Juan

Good job and lots of progress, congrats! Honestly, NZ seems like such a beautiful place and I had dreams of moving there after I retire (someday). Then one day while watching the Discovery Channel my dreams were shattered, busted, stolen out from under me.....when I realized that all your vehicles have the steering wheel on the wrong side and you all drive on the wrong side of the road :cheers:. I am sure my retirement would end badly, soon after my arrival while trying to drive on the only correct side of the road :skull:.

Good job and lots of progress, congrats! Honestly, NZ seems like such a beautiful place and I had dreams of moving there after I retire (someday). Then one day while watching the Discovery Channel my dreams were shattered, busted, stolen out from under me.....when I realized that all your vehicles have the steering wheel on the wrong side and you all drive on the wrong side of the road :cheers:. I am sure my retirement would end badly, soon after my arrival while trying to drive on the only correct side of the road 💀.
Ha ha 👍 thanks for the kind words!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom