1984?? FJ40 never seen one like this before (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looking at this thread, it seems that top is better designed than Toyotas. Here all along I thought since it was sourced local to South/ Central America they were inferior. Looking at these images I really like them.

1605324761302.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.23.49 AM.png

On the 2nd picture of the yellow 43, left next to the license plate you can see that the slide open system (rear door opens and tire carrier folds open also) is not connected.

Normally the special pivot on the tire carrier arm has to be in the slider in the horizontal rail that lets the rear door and tire carrier move together when opening and closing.

On the picture you can see the slider being on itself on the right side in the rail and not being together with the pivot.

If connected it gives also extra strength so the door will be closed better

Last edited:
Looking at this thread, it seems that top is better designed than Toyotas. Here all along I thought since it was sourced local to South/ Central America they were inferior. Looking at these images I really like them.

Ooh no !!, now everybody wants a phenomenal FJ43

Last edited:
View attachment 2494929

On the 2nd picture of the yellow 43, left next to the license plate you can see that the slide open system (rear door opens and tire carrier folds open also) is not connected.

Normally the special pivot on the tire carrier arm has to be in the slider in the horizontal rail that lets the rear door and tire carrier move together when opening and closing.

On the picture you can see the slider being on itself on the right side in the rail and not being together with the pivot.

If connected it gives also extra strength So the door will be closed better

I was wondering what that gizmo was for, thanks for clearing it up.

Without being able to close the front vents curious on feedback of silt collecting inside channels. Probably not a problem in the tropic climate of Colombia but could see this being a issue in the desert. Are drains large enough you could hose out the front vents and rinse silt out the drains? I like the top and where it directs air only drawback I see is not being able to shut the vents up front. Give Toyota an advantage for that one. Main reason gathering parts for A/Cs in my 79 FJ40LV and 65 FJ45LP-B is to shut all the vents on dusty roads even in milder weather. Arizona dust a much bigger concern than rain and snow.

And that they are indeed!

devo

I have to agree. If I had a nice FJ43 would put all the goodies I've been collecting for my 79 FJ40 on it instead.

We travel miles and miles of dusty gravel and dirt roads and really never have had the feeling of getting dusted out! Think of where the intake of a schnorkle is, elevated at roof top level. And one thing a snorkel does is pick up clean air for the intake.

And there are a couple of folks here on MUD that sell very nice 43’s if you decide to go down this path!

devo

Yes, those are 8 inch oval speakers.

is the back cavity sealed from the air going to the vents or waterproof speakers?

We travel miles and miles of dusty gravel and dirt roads and really never have had the feeling of getting dusted out! Think of where the intake of a schnorkle is, elevated at roof top level. And one thing a snorkel does is pick up clean air for the intake.

And there are a couple of folks here on MUD that sell very nice 43’s if you decide to go down this path!

devo

Agree about cleaner air at the top. Issue is on a group run and not at the front. Made the mistake last year of having the cowl vent open on my 70 FJ40 when I flat towed back from a club run. About thirty miles of forest service roads until hit the pavement. Whole interior had a heavy coat of silt on it.

Is is tempting to sell the 70 FJ40 and a few other early cruisers and then buy a FJ43.

I’ve owned 2 FJ40’s and they were sweet!

There are a bunch of things I like about the (my) FJ43 . Two things are the longer wheelbase and extra 15 inches of length in the back. The third being the increased load capacity.
I can really load my 43 up for extended travel.

devo

TL;DR Perhaps not really California. Perhaps diesel.

Firstly that vehicle doesn't have a tag on the front which is a CA requirement. So it may be a faker.
But it also may be diesel since its probably from Colombia. There are CA exceptions for diesels
older than 1997. This may fall into an exception.
I am in CA when I bought my truck, it didn't come with a front plate, I ordered new ones but they haven't come in yet. It has been a couple months, I haven't had a problem. I just moved here and I didn't know you needed both plates.

That is Cool Cap Man! wish they were available here. Probably the top hasn't been produced for years.

I need to do some rust repairs on my tub, seriously considering just making it a 43. Won't take much actually, different springs, flip the rear spring hanger basically, and extend the frame and rear frame cross-member back about a foot. Redoing the rear quarters and sill is the same work. Running a softtop now, could get a longer one, but I find it has it's limitations. My hard top got busted up years ago in a wreck, so I don't have the one upper quarter or the fiberglass cap, went with the soft top for a change. Would be sweet to get one of these Columbian hardtops for a 43, they look really functional, I had not seen pics of the inside before.

I see the FJ Company starting out with all these Columbian 43's, then they scrap the cool aftermarket hard-tops and put on soft tops after they are done with their restorations. Need to see if they would fill a container with those and send them up, but they don't seem to be in the business of selling parts.

Not sure if Fco scraps the tops. 43’s were not imported with hard tops. Usually no tops or a soft top. MPR manufactured those tops for the topless 43. I looked at many imported 43’s and very few had hard tops.

Good luck with your stretch!

devo

A2B127B9-1377-4037-B25D-A36E53EE2F06.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom