1984 BJ60 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in August of 2017, I flew my naive, 21 year old self up to Calgary, AB and purchased a 1984 BJ60 that is an absolute nugget.

This forum and it's member's have been an indispensable asset and I am very grateful to you all for your help.

This has been an ongoing build. Since first buying the truck, I have done all axle seals, Front hubs, replaced the cylinder head, installed new starter, fuel primer hand-pump, stainless break lines, and have done countless other undocumented fixes, adjustments, replacements, etc.

It does have an OME 3"(?) lift that also needs some TLC. Surprisingly, the frame is actually not in terrible shape (not quite broken in half from rust YET).

In the last two years, this truck has been my trusty travel rig and has taken me up and down the California coast, on ski trips to Mammoth and Squaw, and everywhere in-between.

DBga7rr.jpg

rU9eTdf.jpg

These first few photos show the truck as I first saw it. Let's just say I acquired it at the 'right price.'

p6wOlxT.jpg

EdQHEGu.jpg

For the journey home, I threw on some basic 31" tires

TBsmxlp.jpg

That first diesel fill up when when I knew my poor idea to fly to Canada and buy a truck was all worth it.

Please follow along as I continue to update.

-Garrett

This photo show my truck as it currently sits. The janky bull-bar has been cut, a Toyota logo now sits on the grill. Cosmetically, it is basically the same as when i bought it with some minor improvements.

1.JPG

Today marked a really big step forward for my project. I have purchased a lot of paint supplies recently, and today I began to see how much of a chore it would be to strip off all the Spray on 'rocker guard' that covers my truck. As a tester, I first tried out some paint stripper on the gas cap cover to see how this would all go.

The rocker guard came right off, but initially there was no substantial effect on the paint beneath it. There is burgundy barn paint beneath it that covers the original Freeborn Red paint.... This barn paint proved to be a lot tougher but did come off after some patience and some more paint stripper.

3.JPG

All things considered, this tester went fairly smooth, and I am a lot more hopeful for this project. My plan is to now strip and primer my car in sections, and then paint the entire body and doors on the same day for maximum paint match and minimal redundant cleanup.
5.JPG

These are the two products I used today. The Klean Strip took the rocker guard right off. 2 thick coats of the Jasco spray can product took the barn paint off, but I think another go or two with the Klean Strip would have had a similar result.
6.JPG

For the short term, I painted the cover with a light coat of black spray paint to limit rust. The paint will come right off with either of the above products.

7.JPG

To be continued.
-Garrett

I remember seeing this one for sale on Craigslist. It was listed for quite a while. Glad you got it for the right price. The asking price was not the 'right' price, and the ad stated it was FIRM. I'll keep watching....

@georgebj60 Yeah, I remember that price was certainly wishful thinking.. it was one of those things where once I started going down the list of problems, the price had to change or it was gonna be a no sale.
Although to be honest, after all the money I have put into parts, fuel on the way home from Calgary, fees at the border and California, alignment, and etc., I’m probabaly up there toward that asking price anyway... :/

Yeah, all those hidden costs add up. I brought an FJ60 from Oregon up to BC. I needed to have a safety inspection done before I could register it here, and the one guy at the one shop able to do that on a truck this old was away on vacation. By the time he got back, did the inspection, then ordered parts I was up against the 45 day time limit. I had to let the shop do some of the work - and it cost me dearly. But, I really like my truck so it is what it is....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom