1984 BJ42 H55 - vibration in higher gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
kookipi valley by Maciej (Mat) Radoszewski, on Flickr

I've got a beautiful 1984 BJ42 that I've been rebuilding slowly. I'll get into doing a proper thread on the rebuild components a bit later when I have some time.
Current issue:
I have not rebuilt the drivetrain yet, the previous owner had replaced the head (high nickel head and AXT turbo added) and rebuilt the transfer case. The transfer case front output has a little play in it (I can move it about 1/32"), the rear is tight. Was going to rebuild it this month.
I just replaced all the U-joints but have noticed that the rear driveshaft ones have a tiny bit of play in them (which is annoying).
I just finished doing a highway trip during which I have not noticed any issues. Yesterday, on the way to work I felt a vibration going downhill in 3rd that I had not felt before. After a bit of test driving, there appears to be vibration in 3rd, 4th, and 5th, at lower RPM (under load) when accelerating and decelerating. It does not appear to be there in 1st or 2nd. Once I get up to speed a bit more it sounds a bit louder than normal (but no unusual sounds, just a tiny bit louder gear noise) but does not vibrate anymore. When the vibration occurs and I engage the clutch to let the vehicle coast, I kind of feel it a tiny bit for a second but then it goes away. The vibration is not there when coasting downhill and does not appear to be linked to speed (so I would guess not the driveshaft).
Tomorrow, when I get to the shop, I'll be draining the oil from the transmission (really hope not the problem), transfer case (least problematic to repair ....and I have spares) and differential (also hope not since it's all new gears and the new Terrain Tamer E-Locker) to see which has metal visible.

Has anyone encountered this? what did it turn out to be?
Couldn't find exact problems in the search

Got lucky, it was the u-joints. This is the first 40 I've had, the 60 felt a bit different with worn out u-joints.
These were only 2 months old but one I guess had a defect and ate itself.

The last time I had something similar the Hilux chewed up its transmission, was almost expecting the worse.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom