1984 bj42 3b coolant and random pictures etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Just in the process of a complete tear down of an 84 bj42. Located in northern B.C., long story long I’ve sent all body parts to paint except for tub which I’m still shopping for.

Dismantling the mechanical now, battery trays and just got the rad out. After draining the coolant it’s looking like it’s green red and black. Hard to tell if its oil or just real old red coolant.
Mixed with green. Here Are a couple pictures. front diff oil as well, lol. Hoping to have the engine out this weekend, have a second frame that I built over the summer for the truck as this one is beyond fixing in my opinion.
Some random body work pictures as well and cancer. Three body mounts completely gone.

Opinions on the coolant would be appreciated. Truck has 162k

821BC39E-9F4C-4AD7-95AB-6C58EC220A07.jpeg

0B8F8475-CCD5-404F-A485-96F23888FDED.jpeg

107E8750-DF3D-4054-B0BE-B9737DCA9DAD.jpeg

498E946A-019F-4A71-BB48-FD810BB57028.jpeg

9B64B600-A954-4C7D-9218-6491BEFDB54D.jpeg

That coolant doesnt look so bad in the second pic haha. The one you sent me it looks black.

Just had a Toyota tech stop in and look at the coolant. Just a mix of total crap with no oil. Crisis averted for now lol.

Replace with Toyota Red coolant.

Thanks Jim, I’ve got everything squirrelled away for further reference. The tub options out there are limited in my opinion, especially given my location, shipping is a killer. I’ve committed to buying and aqualu tub, resisted it for a long time as I wanted to find something a little more original. Given the climate here I think the aqualu makes sense and I’ll go that route. My cowl is meh so so and am thinking about an aqualu cowl as well. Now about as far from clean original as possible lol.

This truck was kind of a barn find. Sold here in Terrace in 84 and lived its whole life in Prince Rupert beside the ocean. The rust is extremely impressive lol. Only has 162 on the clock and has not been hacked at all, just rusty. Interior looks like brand new from 1984 which I thought was pretty special.

Jim, I reference your build all the time and will continue to do so as I go. Thanks for posting all the info.

Jim,

Yes Sir, at this point the truck is back together and almost ready to start, tub painted etc. Couple electrical gremlins to sort out but nothing major, head lights dim and turn signal. I have a brandnew oem flasher relay unit. Still need to make an exhaust and a few more brakelines.

I’ve mounted the doors to tub/cowl using the bracket provided by aqualu. Not entirely happy with this system so I saved the plates from the original cowl and had some aluminum blocks machined to fit inside the pillar and will make an attempt with of a more factory style door mounting approach. This is via some help of friend who has done this once before.

Also picked up a 45 full floater, limited slip and cable locker. Will start stripping the FF and getting that ready to install.

Tires are 33x7.50 km3

Sorry for the crappy pictures

Also looking at a sedimenter alternative. Have a racor unit but might look at other options.

5B7E515C-FB2F-49FA-BAC8-DD89D35F5FE8.jpeg

08FE811C-BFD5-4C0F-8B06-737344C42779.jpeg

5B344987-9E01-4C0E-BCC0-C1EB5FD477FC.jpeg

E1E9B2EE-F97E-4316-8767-ACFB5DC877ED.jpeg

Greg your turbo kit is still on the list I haven’t forgotten. Just need to get things completed and then we can talk

Metal for the door bottoms came from cool cruisers, also ordered the pice for the hardtop that mates up with the windshield frame. Everything was good quality and relatively easy to install. The back of the doors required some creative filling and adjustments. Especially just after it curves up. But all in all was not too bad.

Jim, thanks for the compliment. Used your build as reference for much of mine. Was very helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom