Builds 1983 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey those bumpers turned out really really well! Ive spent a good amount of time thinking and drawing a design for a front and rear bumper for these (and im still not happy with it) haha, the rear just has some weird body lines that makes it hard to do anything with. You mind if i keep your images? Not alot of decent looking bumpers out there for this generation, and dont worry i wont copy them, its just for inspiration.
I wouldn't post them if I was worried about them being used by someone else. If they help you, go for it!

I wouldn't post them if I was worried about them being used by someone else. If they help you, go for it!
Cool bud, appreciate it. I think for this build im going with stock bumpers but that could change.

Well figured it was time for a slight update for now before i get behind. I ended up coming across a 1986 Turbo Pickup and went to Mississippi to pick it up, not a bad deal for a $1000 bucks, now i only wanted it for the drive train. So when i got it home i pulled the R151F trans and transfer case and drive-lines and a couple days later sold the rest of the truck for $500 bucks. Now i just had to hope all of the internals are good at this point. Side note, also bought another 85 pickup in Louisiana for a couple hundred dollars, i really only wanted it for the full trussed front axle. So all in all pretty good score in one week.

IMAG1458[1].jpg

She definitely is going to need some major cleaning. But all around solid.

IMAG1482[1].jpg

IMAG1491[1].jpg

IMAG1492[1].jpg

IMAG1493[1].jpg

So i got the R151F Tranny split down almost all the way today and everything inside looks really really good, and also split the 23 spline T-case and all looks good and also broke down my spare 21 spline t-case as well, i need a few parts for my dual case setup for the other 82 truck i got as well. I sense alot of parts washing in the next 2 days, also called marlin today to see what they blast all of their housings with, they said glass, so i need to look into a glass bead blasting setup, because when it comes time to put the tranny and cases back together their gonna be shiny and new looking. Also got a set of 4.37 R&P that look really really good, i plan to use that ration in this restore. Also another side note, ended up going to a free car show over the weekend and ended up winning the main prize at the show which was a Matco tool box with some tools in it. So that was absolutely @#$#ing awesome. Still got alot more little things to post up but i will try and get to that tomorrow, im beat for the day.
IMAG1494[1].jpg

IMAG1495[1].jpg
IMAG1496[1].jpg

IMAG1487[1].jpg

IMAG1481[1].jpg

Well so far I have still been working on getting the R151F transmission and t-case split down and cleaned up so I can wrap everything up and get it stored away for this winter. So everything in the transmission and t-case are in perfect shape and within tolerance, all except for the damn input shaft on the trans, as you can see in the picture the tip just shattered under the smallest amount of pressure, and of course that is one part that is no longer being made, seriously. Well fortunately for me I was able to find a 4x4 outfit in France that actually had 1 brand new genuine Toyota R151F input shaft (33301-35050), so I was absolutely stoked and bought it instantly. So now I've just got to order all my rebuild parts, going with all new bearings, seals, needle bearings and a few other parts.
IMAG1533.jpg

IMAG1532.jpg

I also went ahead and bought me another blasting cabinet that will only use crushed glass bead, so I've been slowly working on blasting all my cases, still have alot to do. Debating on weather or not spraying the cases with some cast aluminum vht paint and then some clear. Anyone got any suggestions on this? So far I think the crushed glass bead does a great job on aluminum.
IMAG1534.jpg

Then lastly for now I've finally got my stock 8in rear axle completed! I've always wanted a removable rear diff cover on my pickup, so after toying around with the same design me and my dad used on the FJ45 rear axle we have under the FJ40, I now have a removable rear diff cover on my Toyota pickup. I love it, it will come in real handy when I get that TJM Pro locker installed. Now I just have to make another one for the 82 pickup and also eventually for my 16 Tacoma aswell.
IMAG1547.jpg

IMAG1550.jpg

Some other pictures of the rear axle, still need to re shoot the paint, too glossy on the housing.
IMAG1546.jpg

IMAG1548.jpg

IMAG1549.jpg

Nice work on the removable diff cover. That's a sweet mod. I'd like to do that to my trucks as well at some point.
Well thank you, I appreciate it. Just keep in mind that the removable cover will warp when welded, use of a lathe comes in handy.

Awesome build!

What are you going to do with your steel wheels?

17-BE673-E-E77-F-4-DF2-BDC7-099-F7-CF8-A8-BF.jpg

Wanna trade?
4-E1094-DF-67-BB-440-B-8-F86-15-B5-D8-AE4637.jpg
No thanks, I'm keeping my stockers for now. Appreciate it though.

Looking good, I just put my r151f in my first gen too with duals. Fun build..
Awesome, I'm very curious so see some photos of the interior with shifter placement. Can't find any first gens with the r151f swap and with duals. Thanks in advance.

Well thank you, I appreciate it. Just keep in mind that the removable cover will warp when welded, use of a lathe comes in handy.

No thanks, I'm keeping my stockers for now. Appreciate it though.

Awesome, I'm very curious so see some photos of the interior with shifter placement. Can't find any first gens with the r151f swap and with duals. Thanks in advance.

I will snap a couple for you. I dont have my shifter boots done but the forward shift tcase leaves everything in the stock locations. Of course the dual is a different story. Lol

I will snap a couple for you. I dont have my shifter boots done but the forward shift tcase leaves everything in the stock locations. Of course the dual is a different story. Lol
That would be awesome, I would really appreciate it. If with no duals shifter and tcase in stock location with any cutting? I know duals changes this, but I have plans for a triple stick setup to bring it all forward. Going to try and do everything I can to keep from cutting her up to much.

Yes without duals you are 100% stock location for shifters. The triple stick is cool but will require alot of floor cutting. #1 the current makers of triple sticks do not make one for a forward mount configuration, plus I think there would be trans shifter interference issues having all 3 transfer case shifters so close to transmission.

#2 the current triple shifters out there would be in a top shift location and you would have one new big hole further back from the stock location, and again the shift rods will have floor interference issues unless using body lift.

For the 2 reasons listed above I chose to leave the stock forward shift t case location and the rear top shift. I also added a front range offroad twin stick. Will take picks in a bit. I dont have my final boots done so for now it isnt super pretty like it will be.

If you go triple with what is currently out there you shifters would be roughly in the circle while having to cover the original opening for the tcase. And a extremely high chance of having to cut your floor going back to the back case for rod( 2 lines) clearance if you dont have body lift.

All that being said if you like to fabricate things you could make what you like.

20191019_115802.jpg

That would be awesome, I would really appreciate it. If with no duals shifter and tcase in stock location with any cutting? I know duals changes this, but I have plans for a triple stick setup to bring it all forward. Going to try and do everything I can to keep from cutting her up to much.

Any updates on your build?

Any updates on your build?
Well sadly no new progress on my 1983 yet, I've just been buying parts and storing them for now. 2020 was just a crap show of a year. And right now attention has shifted to my dads 1982 Toyota Pickup 4x4 restoration. His was getting rusty really fast and we needed to get started on it. So for now it is completely stripped down and getting a frame off restoration just like my 83. So we got the frame completely blasted and painted this month and also got the front and rear axles modified so they have removable diff covers and 4.88 R&P with TJM PRO Lockers installed in both and got them completely assembled and installed. So working on the engine mounting and dual case mounts currently. So basically my resto build is taking a back seat so we can get my dads 82 finished and driving.
20210310_232549.jpg

20210410_191458.jpg

20210410_191958.jpg

20210410_192106.jpg

20210410_192122.jpg

I had an Offenhauser intake on my 1980 RN47 waaaay back in the day. It did absolutely NOTHING for the truck. It was a complete and total waste.

I had an Offenhauser intake on my 1980 RN47 waaaay back in the day. It did absolutely NOTHING for the truck. It was a complete and total waste.
Yeah we are not doing it for their claimed horsepower gains, mainly just has a good look to it. There's no point in trying to gain tons of power on these carbd 22rs, end of they day it's just a reliable 4 banger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom