1983 FJ60 smog pump question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcadian

GOLD Star
Threads
My newly purchased FJ60 had had the air rails cut off and the lines welded up, the pump and everything else was left in place. Is the pump currently doing anything, and would removing it and replacing it with an idler pulley do anything detrimental to engine operation? Would it be beneficial other than making things look nicer? If I do remove it do I need to remove any other components and reroute any other parts?

As long as you don't have any unplugged vacuum lines or hose ports on the air cleaner, the Air Injection system, doesn't have any effect how the engine runs even when it is working properly. It's purpose is to inject air into the exhaust stream so there is enough oxygen for the catalytic converter to work properly.

You can replace the existing pump with an idle pulley. Perhaps the PO removed the internals of the pump thus converting it into an idle pulley of sorts.

This might be the time to do a proper desmog. Just sayin'

Jim C's desmog stuff:

The smog pump does require work to spin it. Work taken away from the engine (which may not be noticeable).
The smog pump is also noisier than a pulley.
The old smog pump can seize while driving, grenading parts into the engine compartment (rare).
If it’s not being used for it’s intended purpose of pumping air — I’d get rid of it and replace it with a silent pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom