1983 FJ60 runs rough-- PLEASE HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my first FJ60 about 8 months ago. I do not know a whole lot about them, so all I have done is just regular oil changes to the engine so far. It wants to diesel at shutoff when the engine is warm, but it's a hard start even when I have the choke on when the engine is cold. I know my egr pipe is cracked, already had that checked at the muffler shop in town. The engine will not idle steadily until it is warm and likes to hesitate or die even under constant throttle. I really like the vehicle, and it is in good shape for having almost 190,000 miles on it. I was told when I bought it that the head gasket was just redone by the p.o. and it was in good condition to go with no serious maintainence for many miles, but it is obviously time to do some work. I just don't know these engines well and need some advice or tips on what I should be doing to repair this cruiser. Thanks, NICK

Toyota Material Distribution Center 1-800-622-2033

Call that number and buy the Factory Service Manuals. About 120.00 but you will have everything you need to diagnose your problem(s). I waited a year to buy them and I can't tell you all the headaches I could have avoided if I had just ordered them the day I bought the rig.

Cracked EGR Pipe will make it run rough. But you might have other problems too, but nothing that you can't handle. Definitely don't start thinking of getting rid of it.

the egr pipe will make it run rough. have you also done a tune up? i would fix that pipe and get a tune up. as far as when its cold, mine always runs rough till its warm. i just drive with the choke about halfway out till its good and warmed up. saves some headaches.

OK. Adjust valves to improve starting and to smooth it out. Change fuel and air filters if dirty/old. EGR can be problem if stuck. Replacing all the small vacuum hose did the most for mine. Jim C carb job worked miracles (he did the distributor at the same time). If you do not require all emissions devices in your state then removing or blocking failed/non-working parts may help running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom