1983 FJ60 major rust advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am totally new to all of this stuff, but at the request of some of my buddies I purchased a pair of FJ60's to start building a trail rig. The problem is that the "driver" rig has bad body rot. The frame is ok, but rockers are totally gone, floor pans have some issues. wheel wells have holes into vehicle, and fenders do as well. Previous owner did some hack work including spray foam and the such, but its just a big mess. This being my first rig, my friends say its to far gone and that there wont be any good metal to weld to, and that i should ignore the rust and do some cheap mods put it on some big tires, and beat it. I however would like to do something to make it look decent. My issue is that I have no money to pay someone to do $$$$ bodywork, and they are probably right that it isn't worth that. So I need advice on how to tackle the rust on the cheap. I really just want to try to sure up the floor so I don't put my foot through it in the future, fill the holes that go outside, and make it so it isn't so obvious to the popo that its an unsafe hunk of junk when I am driving it the 5-10 miles to trails. I will post some pics later.

Rust is just imagination, in mine mice would eat whatever I left for them so when I welded the holes shut the mouse liberation office wrote me a complaint letter.
Just get some metal sheet, a welder, maybe a metal press for the corners and start, I did mine in-between trips so all the tools and mess had te be cleaned a lot of times.
Parking it for a few years was no option. but rust repair is not maintenance so reserve time to do oil changes and technical stuff!

Just try to do some work and then have a nice unforgettable road trip as a gift, then more work and so on.

I'm recycling a 60 that sounds like it's in better shape than what you're trying to save. If you're in VT send me a PM and we'll see if parts of the tub might help you out. I've got to have it out of the shop by Friday, one way or another.

To answer your question, there is no cheap or easy way to remove rust. I've seen replacement rear quarters for sale on-line and some guys have replaced their rockers by welding in 2x3" square tubing.

Holes in the wheel wells and rear quarters are bad because it can let exhaust into the cab.

I'm taking the hard way with my floor. I have an entire floor that was cut into quarters that I am steadily drilling a bazillion spot welds out of so I can drill a bazillion more spot welds on the floor of my truck. I can't think of anything better, other than a body swap...which I still might do if I can find one cheap enough.
Search "chopped rockers" for some great ideas on how to get rid of the rust on those rockers and quarters.

I have a 60 series body that I have started to cut up for rust repair. I can cut some body sections out that you can lay in and weld. send me a message if you are interested.

oh buy that baby up right now

dougbert

I took it out trail riding today, stock height running just small 30 inch mud terrains. Quickly found that the buddies are right. I am going to stick to beating it to death and have fun at it. Today I destroyed a tie rod, a brake line, and now have an unknown idle issue, and alternator issue (think those are related as I was down to 7 volts). Learned fast that I need more clearance so tires will be next investment. Might have time this winter to try to fix some rust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom