1983 FJ60 choke question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arcadian

GOLD Star
Threads
F767FD49-1664-476D-8D80-BF58240A9253.jpeg
Choke will not close because it hits the arm with the green tape on it. Pictures I am seeing of other 60s the arm appears to be sitting further to the right out of the way of the choke linkage, should I loosen the nut on the arm and move it further to the right? Thank you for any suggestions

More information, pulled carb off engine. There is a linkage from the lower vacuum diaphragm that connects to a piece on a shaft that looks like it should move to open and close the choke with the lever with the green tape on it. The piece on the shaft connected to the linkage from the diaphragm will not move. Looks like it is stuck holding the choke positioned in the open position. Can anyone tell me if the piece on the shaft should move?

Spector off road has some nice photos of carbs from all angles on their website. Can you identify which linkage you are talking about in the photo below? I think you are talking about the choke opener (lower diaphragm). this diaphragm pulls open the choke when the engine is warm/hot. If the linkage is pulled to the left (in the picture orientation) even when the carb is removed from the car then something is wrong. Your carb when sitting on the bench should look like the picture below.

1632405398390.png

1632405633579.png

Reactions: OSS
As @2mbb mentioned, it probably just the Choke Opener linkage doing its job (which is to prevent the choke from working when engine is warm)

Yes, choke opener linkage is stuck in the open position. When I take the linkage from choke opener diaphragm out from the piece it connects to on the right that should rotate the opener back th the right to allow the choke to close that piece will not move at all.

So the part labeled 15 below is frozen and won't rotate? You should remove it from the carburator and see if you can free it up. Your's does look pretty rusty. The pic below is from the 2F engine manual. There are detailed instructions for disassembling the carb, but it looks like you can remove the pivot bolt and the one corner bolt holding the diaphragm in place and disconnect some linkages to remove the whole choke opener assembly.

If your carb is still on the bench, take some pics before disassembly. You can use these later to reassembly. But also post them up because something may be connected wrong.

1632413544437.png

Loosened the bolt on the arm and it broke free and moves correctly now. Guess 12 years of sitting had corroded things up. Now for the rebuild.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom