1983 FJ40 starter compatibility Toyota part #28100-60070-84. No power at starter. Is this the wrong part? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wadesters

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cwcruisers.com
I have an auto zone gear reduction starter in my 1983 FJ40. Seems like it takes a long time to start so I replaced it with: Toyota 28100-60070-84

Now I really have a slow starter or should I say no starter at all. I hooked all wires exactly the same and absolutely nothing. When I go to start it the lights go a little dimmer like it is taking some power away. Is this the wrong starter for my application. I thought I read this one was correct but something is definitely wrong.

Thanks...

DSCN0879_2048x.jpg

T1.Nm2Xq0iXXXXXXXX__0-item_pic_2048x.jpg

DSCN0873_2048x.jpg

DSCN0874_2048x.jpg

img_0007-jpg.1426507

Make sure you have a good ground to your engine block. I had slow painful starting which ended up melting my alternator wires as the starter was grounding thru the small alternator ground wire. Run a cable from battery- to one of the bolts on the alternator bracket and give it a try.

Thanks for all the help!! I did not have a good ground and believe that was the issue. Will have to button everything up tomorrow but think main issue is solved.

Thanks @Travis 76

Big shout out as always to @ToyotaMatt a wealth of knowledge and good friend!!

Thanks for the pictures. I’ve wondered where the stock ground locations were. As mine had none when I bought it. Just that poor alternator wire that went up in smoke.

Thanks for the pictures. I’ve wondered where the stock ground locations were. As mine had none when I bought it. Just that poor alternator wire that went up in smoke.

thanks as always for your valued input Travis .......... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom