1983 BJ60 Clutch Probelm - Help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright - So I just finished driving from Prince George BC to Camrose AB - roughly 800km through high mountains and lots of prairies.

10km before the end of my trip - NO CLUTCH. Nothing - straight to the floor. I noticed it felt a bit off the last couple days - but there has been no clutch smell and no obvious trouble shifting. To top it off it worked fine in the mountains. Yesterday I helped pull a neighbour from the ditch and got stuck myself. I tried to rock it out but felt or smelled nothing strange. I didn't force it and when I knew I was stuck I winched myself out without any trouble at all.

Luckily today I was able to shift without the clutch to my destination after a lot of right turns to avoid stopping!! :rolleyes:

Any ideas? This is my first cruiser. 1983 bj60 3B 55h. I honestly don't know how the clutch is actuated on this truck. I'm hoping this is something simple as it literally just happened and I have to drive back in a few days - and its christmas holidays... that leaves me limited opportunity to fix this thing!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

:cheers:

Check the slave cylinder which pushes on the clutch fork, the part that contacts the clutch fork may have pushed through (it happened to me one day). Clutch master? Is it leaking brake fluid anywhere? On that note is the slave cylinder leaking anywhere?
Good Luck

Its a hydraulic clutch. You might want to check the fluid level and for leakage around the master and slave cyl.
Sometimes they leak behind the floor covering,so pull that back and have a look also.

Thanks Guys,

I'll try and pull here into the garage... its -25 here without windchill at the moment. Perfect timing!! :meh:

Really appreciate the quick replies. I'll let you know what I find.

got the old girl in the garage...

Alright - so I managed to convince my 70 year old father that putting his car outside over night at -25C is a good idea ;p Actually- he was very accommodating.

Here's what I found:
clutch master.jpg
clutch line.jpg
clutch boot.jpg

So - there is obviously a lack of hydraulic fluid / brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder reservoir.

The line looks fine - as in no leaks.

The small rubber boot at the bottom of the line that connects to the clutch assembly is definitely wet with fluid. Must have been a slow leak since I got stuck yesterday.

Now - the fix? Do I need to replace this seal or simply take it off and re-install it?

Thanks again for all the help fellas.

Here's a picture of the old girl for those of you who may be interested.
IMG00147.jpg

Last edited:
Looks to me like your slave cylinder has failed big time.... I bet all that wetness on the bellhousing and slave cylinder is brake fluid, every pump it sprays more out....
It's not a big thing to replace the entire slave cylinder, it will save you a lot of grief trying to rebuild it if you don't have the capability to hone out the cylinder. Give Dan at 4wheel auto in Edmonton a call, he should be able to set you up with parts riught away.
4 WHEEL AUTO WHOLESALE
8807-63 Ave.
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
T6E-0E9,

Toll-Free: (866) 468-2570
Phone: (780) 468-2570
Fax: (780) 468-2579

good luck!

Could replace the slave or, rebuild it. Make sure you have a can of brake cleaner to clean the crap out of the slave. Did my master once and it looked like mud inside when it failed! and that was sudden failure!! remember, R&R all fluids at least once every two years. Oil changes obviosly are more frequent :)

If you can't change the slave you might be able to limp home by topping off the clutch master when it starts to go bad.

Christmas day project...

Alright - so I ripped up to Edmonton Yesterday in the old mans car [yeah - I feel 17 again "dad can I borrow the car"].

I have a new slave ready to go thanks to 4wheelauto.com in Edmonton. Thanks for the tip roalco!!

For anyone who goes in there in the near future... you should really ask to go out back and see the gem they have in there. It's a bit over the top but all I can say is Unimog axles and a 3B on steroids!!

Anyhow - now the rest of this procedure should be fairly simple - take of the old slave put the new one on - right? Any tips tricks or concerns.

In the box I have the main body of the slave, two brass washers and a long metal bit with 2 nuts on it. I obviously don't know what its called! I'm guessing that if I just put the new one on as the old one comes off I should be good. :rolleyes: I'm not a mechanic but I've replaced a hydraulic pump or 7 on the oil rig I worked on along with numerous other failed parts on all kinds of equipment. So unless there is anything that I should really be concerned about - I think this should go well.

Thanks again everyone!!

The copper washers are seal gaskets, you can reuse the old ones if you anneal them first (heat to red hot then quench in water) to soften them, but better to use the new ones. There's no magic, download the factory service manual (links at the top of the diesel page), it'll give you a step by step.
While you have the slave off, put the bottom of the hose in a can and pump out the remaining brake fluid from the system, wipe out the resevoir and top it up with clean fresh brake fluid, then pump it through and make sure the fluid coming out into the wast can is clean before you hook it up to the new slave, you really need to get out the old crappy, water fouled black fluid! Then hook up the hose to the slave, bolt the slave in place with the adjusting rod in place (but a bit loose) and then bleed it through. Adjust the clutch travel at the rod, check it again, then tighten the locknut on the rod and test it out. Should be good.
Good luck and merry Christmas!
R

Agree with above, follow those directions. When I did mine, I didn't hook up the rod before bleeding and there was no way I could get that rod in place without cracking the bleeder again.

The copper washers are seal gaskets

Perhaps a dumb question - seal gaskets for what? They fit between the hydraulic line and the slave? This is the only place I could think they would be needed?

I honestly thought they were soft lock washers for the bolts holding the slave to the truck - my bad! Glad I read this first.

Dead easy, I've changed mine 3 times, usually in the snow. Just find a pretty friend to help you bleed it after the install. Same as brakes…pump and hold…open/close…repeat until not spongy. Keep topping the fluid in the reservoir as you do this. Merry Christmas!

thanks Duckling... problem #1- my dads tool selection is nil!! not a single 12mm wrench or socket! Brother in law here I come! haha

Anyhow - since you've done this 3 times - the copper washers... where do they go?

Anyhow - since you've done this 3 times - the copper washers... where do they go?

Ive replaced at least 3 landcruiser slaves and I cant remember seeing washers of any kind.
Parts diagram do not show them either.

Ive replaced at least 3 landcruiser slaves and I cant remember seeing washers of any kind.
Parts diagram do not show them either.

I agree in that I don't think they seal anything. You can make out on the blurry picture of the original in place that it looks like there are some kind of washer under the head of the bolts. I'm pretty sure that's what they're for.

The slave itself is totally contained and there is no place else to put them.

Thanks rosco - this what I had determined on my own.:meh:

Hmmm, I thought they went on the hose union at some point...

The only place that makes sense to install a soft copper washer is the hose connection. You will what comes off and just do the same. BTW…make sure to install the hose to the slave (snug only) before you attach the unit to the frame or you might feel stupid as I did since you can't twist the hose enough afterwards. I think you could do the job with an adjustable. No big torqueing here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom